Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 234819 times)

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #2445 on: February 10, 2024, 07:38:35 PM »
The crocus are such happy little flowers. Been snowing here..will probably have to wait a couple more months for them.  :)
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2446 on: February 11, 2024, 04:58:59 AM »
I'm actually going to plan my garden this year.  See if that improves yields.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #2447 on: February 12, 2024, 02:16:30 PM »
Mardi Gras is in full swing.  The Krewe of Bacchus Parade was held last night.  The Bacchagator and the Bacchasaurus made their usual appearances.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2448 on: February 12, 2024, 09:03:27 PM »
The crocus are such happy little flowers. Been snowing here..will probably have to wait a couple more months for them.  :)

@PolkaDot   So glad to see you again, Dot!  I wanted you to know that I took the Dot plum tree out of it's pot and planted it into the ground.  I'll take a picture of it when it blossoms out.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2449 on: February 13, 2024, 05:02:49 PM »
@PolkaDot   So glad to see you again, Dot!  I wanted you to know that I took the Dot plum tree out of it's pot and planted it into the ground.  I'll take a picture of it when it blossoms out.

Oh Yay! How nice. I hope it grows well for you. I adore my plum trees (as you know). I didn't get fruit last year because of the late frost and crazy spring/early summer hail. I'm hoping that our boomerang winter weather doesn't snuff the flowers this year...I put them on the north side so they generally bloom later then they would if they were planted on the south where I keep my apples/pears. It's kinda funny bc now that I think of it, the plum pops about the same time as my cherry trees and I'm pretty sure the plum should be the early bird.  ;) Aren't I sneaky!?!?

I can't wait to see pics @Rikki Gins !
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2450 on: February 13, 2024, 05:06:07 PM »
P.S. Earl Griffith looks like trouble...and not necessarily the nice kind. Please tell the story @Rikki Gins
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Smokin Hot Bob

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #2451 on: February 16, 2024, 06:43:03 PM »

Winter in Cascadia

Lookin' out my back door

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #2452 on: February 16, 2024, 06:49:59 PM »
Winter in Cascadia

Lookin' out my back door

When rampant pretty stuff makes the otherwise lack of lawn slightly tolerable.  :-\

Smokin Hot Bob

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #2453 on: February 16, 2024, 09:33:17 PM »
When rampant pretty stuff makes the otherwise lack of lawn slightly tolerable.  :-\

The sick fetishism that goes into procuring those immaculately dressed lawns just doesn't do it for me anymore.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2454 on: February 17, 2024, 05:07:40 PM »
Winter in Cascadia

Lookin' out my back door
oh wow! nice! It snowed last night so....ya.....
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2455 on: February 19, 2024, 12:31:40 AM »
P.S. Earl Griffith looks like trouble...and not necessarily the nice kind. Please tell the story @Rikki Gins

@PolkaDot  Oh, Earl?  He does look rather fierce, doesn't he?  He was one of the world's worst burglars. Always leaving a hat, mask or a crowbar at the places he broke into.  Plus he never wore gloves, so his finger prints were left behind. Through research, I found out that he was a fairly nice guy, so I made an honorary alias out of him.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2456 on: February 26, 2024, 10:33:46 AM »

Here we have  a Western Black Elfin Saddle mushroom...or fungus, to be more precise.  Found this little (three inches tall) fellow on the shady side of my north gate while taking some cardboard out to the recycle bin.  It was an easy plant to look up, as I entered 'black mushroom' as a search item.  I found that the thing is edible, but the fleshy top only.  That woody looking stem is not edible.  One has to cook the top thoroughly but be forewarned.  There are many branches of the 'helvella vespertina' family out there, a few of which while not poisonous, will cause considerable stomach discomfort.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2457 on: February 28, 2024, 11:23:57 AM »

EllGab Garden Cloud Picture of the Day.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2458 on: February 28, 2024, 01:25:01 PM »

Here we have  a Western Black Elfin Saddle mushroom...or fungus, to be more precise.  Found this little (three inches tall) fellow on the shady side of my north gate while taking some cardboard out to the recycle bin.  It was an easy plant to look up, as I entered 'black mushroom' as a search item.  I found that the thing is edible, but the fleshy top only.  That woody looking stem is not edible.  One has to cook the top thoroughly but be forewarned.  There are many branches of the 'helvella vespertina' family out there, a few of which while not poisonous, will cause considerable stomach discomfort.
I really like this pic, @Rikki Gins. I have a soft spot for fungus and toadstools. It takes me back to when I used to volunteer at the DBG Herbarium. Great times! I did some work with the Ethnobotanist and spent some time on the fungus/toadstools- really interesting stuff. Even Otzi had a polypore on him- I believe in a pouch- probably used to transport his fire source.

Do you ever come across the stinkhorn mushrooms? I can't think of its latin right now- when you kick or otherwise disturb them they are quite odiferous.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2459 on: February 29, 2024, 11:35:02 AM »
I really like this pic, @Rikki Gins. I have a soft spot for fungus and toadstools. It takes me back to when I used to volunteer at the DBG Herbarium. Great times! I did some work with the Ethnobotanist and spent some time on the fungus/toadstools- really interesting stuff. Even Otzi had a polypore on him- I believe in a pouch- probably used to transport his fire source.

Do you ever come across the stinkhorn mushrooms? I can't think of its latin right now- when you kick or otherwise disturb them they are quite odiferous.

OH, @PolkaDot, I like them too.  Every once in awhile, some will spring up out back in the EllGab Garden.  There are some white mushrooms that look just like the ones you can purchase in the produce dept. at a supermarket.  (I don't risk eating them.) Out in the hills, (Pacific Northwest) morel mushrooms can be found at the proper time.  I used to hunt for them with Dad.  I have yet to come across a stinkhorn, though they sound most interesting.   

I enjoyed reading about your herbal research experience.  Yes, Dot (& @JUAN) I will start that "Slice of Life" thread, quite soon in fact.

Otzi the Iceman was a fascinating human.  I read that when scientists examined the contents of his stomach, they found a balanced blend of several types of meat, grain & berries in there.  He went a bit overboard on the grains though, and they caused his teeth to decay.  One of the fungi found in his pouch actually helped get rid of an intestinal worm that he had been bothered with.