Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503533 times)

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #375 on: September 28, 2018, 10:02:38 PM »
your "rom" reminds me but I can't place it easily of some event, like we have Beach Week or Springbreak antics, but Beach Week is more the senior drunk highjinx,  the Amish have this romspringa (sp?)deal, where they can go and experience the 'English' life for a bit, and the Norskies have this deal, name escapes me now, in some places, where the kids 'go wild.' Getting "out of hand" according to some, I think also had some root in word that was 'room' or 'rum' etc?
ps: I wonder why "hall" for us is now, except in concert venues, now means, usually, a narrow lane leading to rooms and not the biggest "room" in our house?

Yeah the Norwegian thing is called russ; I'm not sure where the name comes from ultimately.  The rum- in rumspringa (running around) is probably related to the space sense; it can mean both "a space" and "Space" like our word.

The hall question is a good one!  My guess is "hall" once meant the entire inside space which gradually became partitioned off into our various rooms until all that was left was the corridor between them, but that might just be too simple.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #376 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:24 PM »
Yeah the Norwegian thing is called russ; I'm not sure where the name comes from ultimately.  The rum- in rumspringa (running around) is probably related to the space sense; it can mean both "a space" and "Space" like our word.

The hall question is a good one!  My guess is "hall" once meant the entire inside space which gradually became partitioned off into our various rooms until all that was left was the corridor between them, but that might just be too simple.
Maybe simple is good? You could be right? In olden days etc have big 'hall'; folks just eat, drink, etc n pass out but a select few, over time, start walling of stock animals, then themselves, based on class, use, wealth, etc. Sheets, like Arabs, or then walls, in colder areas? Then progessively as wealth increases or social mores or threats change gets more and more roomed off?

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #377 on: September 28, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »
Maybe simple is good? You could be right? In olden days etc have big 'hall'; folks just eat, drink, etc n pass out but a select few, over time, start walling of stock animals, then themselves, based on class, use, wealth, etc. Sheets, like Arabs, or then walls, in colder areas? Then progessively as wealth increases or social mores or threats change gets more and more roomed off?

Somewhere I remember learning that even bronze-age roundhouses were routinely partitioned, usually with woven (wicker or wattle I think) panels fixed to posts in the dirt floor, so it goes back a ways.  I suspect the main driver was the change was due to heating, i. e. from a single fire in the middle of the dwelling to stoves.

Funny to think that, a couple hundred years ago, chimneyless central fires were still common throughout rural Norway (røykstuer/smoke parlors).  We really are a stone's throw from the bronze age ourselves.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #378 on: September 28, 2018, 11:01:54 PM »
Somewhere I remember learning that even bronze-age roundhouses were routinely partitioned, usually with woven (wicker or wattle I think) panels fixed to posts in the dirt floor, so it goes back a ways.  I suspect the main driver was the change was due to heating, i. e. from a single fire in the middle of the dwelling to stoves.

Funny to think that, a couple hundred years ago, chimneyless central fires were still common throughout rural Norway (røykstuer/smoke parlors).  We really are a stone's throw from the bronze age ourselves.
One wonders...are some races, not poltically-correct here, but using term at hand- "better" at CO or cold? And vice-versa? Considering conditions?
ps: amazing how certain folks figured out ceramic heaters (less fuel) and types of dwellings, even, sorta A/C. I agree with some, most, experts who think not aliens but humans have capacity to figure stuff out with what you got.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #379 on: September 28, 2018, 11:31:36 PM »
One wonders...are some races, not poltically-correct here, but using term at hand- "better" at CO or cold? And vice-versa? Considering conditions?
ps: amazing how certain folks figured out ceramic heaters (less fuel) and types of dwellings, even, sorta A/C. I agree with some, most, experts who think not aliens but humans have capacity to figure stuff out with what you got.

Haha I'm pretty sure that we're on our own figuring stuff out, except that one time when God made skin suits for Adam & Eve who were shivering in their fig leaves.  God was the original tailor.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #380 on: September 29, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #381 on: September 29, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #382 on: September 29, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #383 on: September 29, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »
Very artistic cards, Tootsie.  Thank you.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #384 on: September 29, 2018, 07:44:31 PM »

The La Avenida Motel and Restaurant in Coronado, California, just steps away from the Pacific ocean.  The good news is that the motel is still there but the bad news is that there isn't a La Avenida restaurant anymore.  Though I think that there might be a different restaurant in its place.  Kind of hard to tell if the restaurant I looked at on Google Earth (bottom pic.) is the same building after remodeling or an entirely new one.  On the postcard there are two separate addresses for both places.  Getting back to the motel, it is now called the La Avenida Inn.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #385 on: September 29, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »

The La Avenida Motel and Restaurant in Coronado, California, just steps away from the Pacific ocean.  The good news is that the motel is still there but the bad news is that there isn't a La Avenida restaurant anymore.  Though I think that there might be a different restaurant in its place.  Kind of hard to tell if the restaurant I looked at on Google Earth (bottom pic.) is the same building after remodeling or an entirely new one.  On the postcard there are two separate addresses for both places.  Getting back to the motel, it is now called the La Avenida Inn.

That looks like a nice place to eat, Rix; I'd try that romaine salad.  Funny that a salad should be the featured item, but those were different times.  The new restaurant hasn't preserved the murals and, from the looks of it, is probably one of those places with tvs on all the time.  The motel with its plantings of fine young palms and yuccas looks tidy, too, except for all the oil drips in the parking lot -- whatever happened to those?  Are our cars less leaky now?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #386 on: September 29, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
That looks like a nice place to eat, Rix; I'd try that romaine salad.  Funny that a salad should be the featured item, but those were different times.  The new restaurant hasn't preserved the murals and, from the looks of it, is probably one of those places with tvs on all the time.  The motel with its plantings of fine young palms and yuccas looks tidy, too, except for all the oil drips in the parking lot -- whatever happened to those?  Are our cars less leaky now?

Cars are definitely less leaky these days. Through the 60’s and 70’s most valve cover and oil pan gaskets were cork or fiber. Gaskets and seals have come a long way using various artificial rubber and other composites. 

p.s. one thing I learned quickly when I got my first motorcycle is that if you see a dark spot in the middle of the road you are about to hit a bump. The bump causes the oil drops to shed from the engine shortly after the bump. I actually submitted an unsolicited proposal to the US government trying to get a grant to analyze aerial and satellite photography to quantify the amount and severity of bumps on interstate and other highways. This was back around 1985. Never could get any interest. 
Are we having fun yet?

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #387 on: September 29, 2018, 08:46:26 PM »
Cars are definitely less leaky these days. Through the 60’s and 70’s most valve cover and oil pan gaskets were cork or fiber. Gaskets and seals have come a long way using various artificial rubber and other composites.

Thanks; good, definitive answer.  I don't suppose it's possible to wax nostalgic over oil stains in a parking lot, but I am going to try.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #388 on: September 29, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »
Thanks; good, definitive answer.  I don't suppose it's possible to wax nostalgic over oil stains in a parking lot, but I am going to try.

@K_Dubb go read my p.s.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #389 on: September 29, 2018, 08:49:50 PM »

Well perhaps the stain came from one of these?

Now we gotta go dig into the mural artist and the fate of those murals.............    Rix is always stirring things up!