Author Topic: Take the Girl out of the Grunge  (Read 33623 times)

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
Take the Girl out of the Grunge
« on: March 27, 2022, 11:36:12 PM »
I like a lot of really hard rock and metal but I don't get exposed to it much. So what have I been missing? Turn me on to some of your favorite songs or groups. New and Classic.
Let me know what I've been missing out on. And a little background of why you like something so much is always interesting.
For example @ShayP just turned us on to Nightwish. Quite a find. Educate me, please

“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
Re: Take the Girl out of the Grunge
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 09:46:50 AM »
I appreciate the thread, as well as your willingness to expose yourself to music that you wouldn't normally think twice about. Am I right about that? Whether or not people respond is another thing, not to mention that the number of metal/hard rock forum members is quite low. I can think of four dudes here with me being one of them.  Personally, I would fall into the "hard rock" category as opposed to "heavy metal" which covers a larger variety of bands. 

Megadeth is a heavy metal band.
AC/DC is a hard rock band.

Metallica is a heavy metal band but they're the commercial version so I place them in a sort of Def Lepard 'Photograph' type of metal.

I want to say bad things about grunge, but it's not all bad. Soundgarden's Rusty Cage comes to mind. Not that, is a killer tune.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 09:49:23 AM »
I also like "melodic" hard rock bands. Dokken would be one of those, although it is a shame that they get lumped into the glam thing with shitty bands like Poison and their ilk.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 10:03:34 AM »
I'm with you. @Garth Convoy  Rusty Cage is a killer tune and I'm a fan of Dokken.  They were pigeonholed into a certain genre.  Unfairly.

I'm METAL and hard rock.  Emphasize on "hard."  :D

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 10:08:17 AM »
I'm with you. @Garth Convoy  Rusty Cage is a killer tune and I'm a fan of Dokken.  They were pigeonholed into a certain genre.  Unfairly.

I'm METAL and hard rock.  Emphasize on "hard."  :D
Yeah, don't get me wrong - I like some metal. I like Megadeth alot, but am hard-pressed to find anything about Pantera that I find listenable.  BTW I consider a band like Judas Priest to be a mix of hard rock and metal. Iron Maiden was more hard rock/punk in the early days and would later become a heavy metal band with the addition of Bruce.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 10:09:52 AM »
but am hard-pressed to find anything about Pantera that I find listenable.

HIS GUITAR SOUNDED LIKE HORNY BEES!
The absolute worst.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 10:10:42 AM »
The absolute worst.
^^^^^ Yup.  I won't get into the "vocals"

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 10:14:38 AM »
Let's go back to the 80's. @TigerLily  A band called Warlock.  Lead singer is Doro Pesch.  Hard Rock.  The video is typical cheesy 80's style.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 10:15:19 AM »
I also like "melodic" hard rock bands. Dokken would be one of those, although it is a shame that they get lumped into the glam thing with shitty bands like Poison and their ilk.
+1 for Dokken.
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 10:17:13 AM »
+1 for Dokken.
Back atcha!

Let's go back to the 80's. @TigerLily  A band called Warlock.  Lead singer is Doro Pesch.  Hard Rock.  The video is typical cheesy 80's style.

SHAY taking the opportunity to post his spank material.  Geez, dude! 

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 10:20:34 AM »

The greatest melodic rock band of all time is Harem Scarem.
Trust me on this, @TigerLily
Listen to their first 2 albums 10 times each and you will wonder how they were not the biggest melodic rock band ever.
Listen to their 13th album and marvel at how a band can be that great for that long.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 10:23:34 AM »
Yeah, don't get me wrong - I like some metal. I like Megadeth alot, but am hard-pressed to find anything about Pantera that I find listenable.  BTW I consider a band like Judas Priest to be a mix of hard rock and metal. Iron Maiden was more hard rock/punk in the early days and would later become a heavy metal band with the addition of Bruce.

I love Megadeth.  Especially when Marty Friedman was there.  I love Priest.  Of course my feelings for Iron Maiden are known.  Favorite band ever.  I do ignore the Blaze Bayley years.  Ugh.

I was a fan of Pantera.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 10:25:55 AM »
LILY!

This is a modern Hard Rock song. It is on my workout list and I hear it at least four days a week. I love the riff, I dig the raw but not overly distorted guitar sound and the vocals are pure punky attitude.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 10:29:27 AM »
The absolute worst.

:o :o :o

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 10:32:59 AM »
Harum Scarem is indeed one great melodic hard rock band. So melodic that they almost fall out of the hard rock genre. Not that that's a bad thing.