Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 307674 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #615 on: February 19, 2020, 05:21:13 AM »
Ooohh  no ya don't!  You buck up lil camper and pick up that torch. Snap the fuck to it!! pens need you! I need you! *cough* The Calgary Flames need you because nobody else likes them!

The Pens are now in first place after beating the Maple Leafs.  I should be excited.  Meh.   :-\ 

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #616 on: February 19, 2020, 05:45:43 AM »
Welcome to the dark side.  I was a sports fan for a lot of years, going to games, watching games, subscribing to magazines.  I still have all the cards I collected as a kid

At some point it all got so repetitive, forgettable.  I took a look at how much of my free time was spent on this stuff, how unimportant it is.  What finally got me was the baseball strike in 1992 ('93?).  I haven't paid my way into a game since, and I've watched less than a half dozen games. 

I still follow the sports, but more from a position of player movement, team building, and so on.  Just the local teams now.  There are guys winning MVPs and going into the various Halls of Fame that I've never heard of.  That makes me happy.

I'm not quite to the dark side yet but I hear it's beckoning call.  Baseball has always been my favorite and like you the strike made me disenchanted and I ignored the sport for 2 years. Then I got the "fever" again and got back into it.  Being a life long Pirates fan you'd think I'd give up.  I would've this year, and was committed to it,  hadn't there been wholesale changes.  The owner cleaned house and I like the new hires.  I wish the owner would sell though.

Also, like you, I enjoy the player movement, team building, etc, in the major sports.  I hate the NBA with a passion but I'll follow the draft and some of the transactions.

Even when I could afford to go to any game I wanted, that interest and desire waned over time.  I go to baseball games and that's it.  The Giants AA team is here and it's a good time and fairly cheap.  I love a day (or evening) at the ballpark. 

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #617 on: February 19, 2020, 05:50:57 AM »
The Pens are now in first place after beating the Maple Leafs.  I should be excited.  Meh.   :-\

I understand.
Nobody ever really gets excited when they beat the Maple Leafs.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #618 on: February 19, 2020, 06:00:45 AM »
I understand.
Nobody ever really gets excited when they beat the Maple Leafs.

LOL!!!!  ;D

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #619 on: February 19, 2020, 06:28:37 AM »
Is that @ShayP getting pulled out of the shot by his jersey?

https://twitter.com/GrittyNHL/status/1229929248825192448

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #620 on: February 19, 2020, 09:11:58 AM »
February 22, 1980.
Lake Placid, New York, U.S. @GravitySucks

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #621 on: February 19, 2020, 10:04:34 AM »
Is that @ShayP getting pulled out of the shot by his jersey?

https://twitter.com/GrittyNHL/status/1229929248825192448

LOL!!! @FISH  Oh no.  You'll never catch me in a Flyers jersey.  ;)  ;D   I do love how he was snatched to the side with such efficiency.  Looked like a Secret Service agent intercepted him.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #622 on: February 19, 2020, 03:17:22 PM »
February 22, 1980.
Lake Placid, New York, U.S. @GravitySucks

@FISH I watched the Olympics with casts on both arms.  I was riding #2 on one of the 3 USA four man bobsleds that were going to the Olympics when we tipped over on January 28th. Less than a week before we were supposed to move into the Olympic village.  I had crushed both ulnar nerves.    I cried when USA won the hockey gold but not as hard as when I learned I wasn’t going to be in the Olympics. 
Are we having fun yet?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #623 on: February 19, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »
I cried when USA won the hockey gold but not as hard as when I learned I wasn’t going to be in the Olympics.

There is no crying in hockey watching.

I knew an Olympian.
Good times.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #624 on: February 19, 2020, 05:40:35 PM »
There is no crying in hockey watching.

I knew an Olympian.
Good times.

When I got out of the hospital my pinky and ring fingers were paralyzed on both hands.  We took our four man bobsled and put it on the hockey rink in Lake Placid to see if I could still push and get in the sled.  To this day I swear I could have competed.  I don’t know how bad the others were hurt. I think my driver lost his nerve. I was pumped up on percodan and demerol so maybe that had something to due with my coach’s decision.  In 5 years we didn’t tip over then we tipped over twice within a 4 week period. 

Curling is my fallback sport. I won my first tournament and retired a winner. 

When Ty Babilonia and Randy Gardner took the ice, he skated in circles for like 6 seconds and dropped out because he said he pulled a groin muscle.  I started yelling at the TV.  I was ready to compete with much more serious injuries thanI perceived that he had. 

I should have said yes to a spot on the 76 Summer Olympic team but it would have screwed up my bobsled training. But who the hell wants to be known as a USA Team Handball member? Maybe @Mr. Wonderful, but not me. 

p.s. never buy a hockey stick on ebay with Bobby Hull’s signature on it. I signed more than he did.  I am pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out. I haven’t done that since 1970. It was a good gig while it lasted. 
Are we having fun yet?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #625 on: February 19, 2020, 06:11:29 PM »
p.s. never buy a hockey stick on ebay with Bobby Hull’s signature on it. I signed more than he did.  I am pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out. I haven’t done that since 1970. It was a good gig while it lasted.

Not that I expect anyone here ever would but...
Never buy anything signed by Ozzy Osbourne.
Especially the ones that look like this -

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A Bart had to eat, man.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF KINDNESS
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #626 on: February 19, 2020, 06:37:14 PM »

I should have said yes to a spot on the 76 Summer Olympic team but it would have screwed up my bobsled training. But who the hell wants to be known as a USA Team Handball member? Maybe @Mr. Wonderful, but not me. 

Being that I am a Canadian I don't know how I would be asked to be on the American team. But I'm a helpful guy so I'd do it!

This making other members call me wonderful is just, well, it's wonderful!  :)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF KINDNESS
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #627 on: February 19, 2020, 08:18:57 PM »
Hmm  So basically what you're saying is Go Bruins!!  Evil flourishes when good people do, Nothing! I'm doing my part but I guess I'll have to be sure to pick up enough spirit for two Pen fans. Yep ok I got it.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #628 on: February 20, 2020, 08:22:10 AM »
Hmm  So basically what you're saying is Go Bruins!!  Evil flourishes when good people do, Nothing! I'm doing my part but I guess I'll have to be sure to pick up enough spirit for two Pen fans. Yep ok I got it.

Hell no!  I'll always support the Pens.  My passion has waned though, that's all I was saying earlier.  I'm going through some kind of crisis.  I went from being a fanatic to a casual fan.  Not sure why.   :-\

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #629 on: February 20, 2020, 08:30:52 AM »
When I got out of the hospital my pinky and ring fingers were paralyzed on both hands.  We took our four man bobsled and put it on the hockey rink in Lake Placid to see if I could still push and get in the sled.  To this day I swear I could have competed.  I don’t know how bad the others were hurt. I think my driver lost his nerve. I was pumped up on percodan and demerol so maybe that had something to due with my coach’s decision.  In 5 years we didn’t tip over then we tipped over twice within a 4 week period. 

Curling is my fallback sport. I won my first tournament and retired a winner. 

When Ty Babilonia and Randy Gardner took the ice, he skated in circles for like 6 seconds and dropped out because he said he pulled a groin muscle.  I started yelling at the TV.  I was ready to compete with much more serious injuries thanI perceived that he had. 

Tai Babilonia was engaged for several years to actor and comedian David Brenner. Does that cheer you up?