Author Topic: IBM Selectric II typewriter sightings  (Read 8377 times)

NOT_BEELZEBUBBELAH

• KIDD
  • With you still am i...
Re:Katzenjammer IBM Selectric II typewriter sightings
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2021, 06:46:01 PM »
Hell low, Halo, Bellz.

Is that you, Lou?
Long time no   cipher.

If it were discovered a  former member of the RH Society sent me that photo, I would be unable to identify her in a line up, but May Bee lying down and my agent would deny he had served as drunken carrier Pig Eon.

I previously learned about the muffled "undertaker business" typewriter from skimming Vol 2 of William Patterson's Heinlein biography.  Prior pigeon, I  had not seen such a clear picture of the sentinel ant head.

I was grateful to view the beast.

I've read a few of Heinlein's works.

Something of his might make it onto my '21 list, or maybe both Patterson volumes will. What little I skimmed of Vol 2 was good. But my dance card  of death is rapidly filling to capacity.

(I just realized I will die in '42. Thank you, ever hovering Premonition Bitch goddess. Now, how about those lotto numbers? Or whether or not I should invest in graphene?)

"Katzenjammer Typography."

Hahaha.

Captain Karig would approve.

If Siamese cat's paws
Perch like a parrot
You might end up
Kissed by Judas Iscariot
==========================================================
'Allo!
Sorry about the delay in reply here--
I'm pretty much not able to work out my access to the forum in an consistent frequency--
Keep having those pesky 'Near-Life'interregnum(s?Interregneae?)that i mentioned a few posts back.
Still asking the fondly burning question that has swept both continents:
Are you familiar with Mr.Heinlein's Jouvenile series?
Do you find his tomes quite fetching and nostalgic?
I've not become too familiar with his early life experiences.
Wildly incongruent asides have bewildered my cognitory assumptions concearning his written efluvia.
Pressed for time am I,und Zo must occlude the charactaristic characters usually appended here when i compose an missive.
"Beelzebubbelah"
i will make my krills look like random accidents or ssuicides,impulsive homicides,and will not take credits in the newspapers or on tee-vee....there will be more...

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
Re:Katzenjammer IBM Selectric II typewriter sightings
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 08:15:14 PM »
==========================================================
'
Still asking the fondly burning question that has swept both continents:
Are you familiar with Mr.Heinlein's Jouvenile series?
Do you find his tomes quite fetching and nostalgic?

Dear Bzzzzzz/Lord of the Flies/aka Bizzy Buzz Buzz

I am unfamiliar with that series.
I do experience nostalgia when reading his script. I would even coin  the word, "SIMAKstalgia," as I drive off a cliff in a 1988 old Ford.

Whenever I manage to knead the somewhat large two volume biography previously mentioned, I have little doubt of diving into his records.

Cam

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: IBM Selectric II typewriter sightings
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2021, 02:56:27 PM »
I was in a thrift store yesterday and saw three of those Smith -Corona cartridge electric typewriters.
Merry Christmas

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2021, 06:10:42 PM »
A new close up lens for the digital camera and a new ribbon for the portable UNDERWOOD.

NOT_BEELZEBUBBELAH

• KIDD
  • With you still am i...
Re:Katzenjammer Typography And IBM Selectric II typewriter sightings
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2021, 07:42:10 PM »
A new close up lens for the digital camera and a new ribbon for the portable UNDERWOOD.
==========================================
'Allo!
Nice 'Avatar' or 'Logo'.
Am I haveing difficulty with reply frequencies.
Still am i looking for the historic summary of books from 'Gnome Press'by Mr.Heinlein,Jouvenile directed.
No time to write long missive,Ta Ta for now...
Beelzebubbelah
][ 7VF][
PS:More to come...
i will make my krills look like random accidents or ssuicides,impulsive homicides,and will not take credits in the newspapers or on tee-vee....there will be more...

NOT_BEELZEBUBBELAH

• KIDD
  • With you still am i...
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2021, 07:48:43 PM »
==========================================
'Allo!
Nice 'Avatar' or 'Logo'.
Am I haveing difficulty with reply frequencies.
Still am i looking for the historic summary of books from 'Gnome Press'by Mr.Heinlein,Jouvenile directed.
No time to write long missive,Ta Ta for now...
Beelzebubbelah
][ 7VF][
PS:More to come...
===============================
Allo!
Found this have I!!
--------------------------------------------------------
Seriously off typewritten files...
Beelzebubelah
][ 7VF ][

NOT_BEELZEBUBBELAH

• KIDD
  • With you still am i...
Re:Katzenjammer Typography & IBM Selectric II typewriter sightings
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2021, 04:39:01 PM »
===============================
Allo!
Difficulties some have i.
Found have i some stories about the late dwarfish writer whom is famous for many legal proceedings
writeing under the nom de plume of 'Cordwainer Bird'as when he is exploited and not given the agreed upon payment for services rendered.
Assume i that you would recognise this:
HARLAN'S TYPEWRITER
Please visit The Open Sale hosted by David Silver for more information about this historic item.

HARLAN ELLISON
- Tuesday, August 31 2010 16:11:35
HARLAN'S TYPEWRITER
Harlan was born in 1934. His first real typewriter was a Remington noiseless portable, circa 1936-1940. In 1949, Harlan's father died, and Harlan and his mother moved from Painesville to Cleveland, Ohio. Harlan's mother worked at the B'nai B'rith second-hand resale thrift shop, and Harlan had three jobs, because they were broke. This is not a sob story; it is no different than the stories each of you can tell. It is merely background history.

Harlan's Mother, Serita Ellison, encouraged her son's writing enthusiasm, and his love of science fiction, and sometime between 1949 and 1951, she bought for an unknown sum, the Remington portable noted above. At the thrift shop. And she brought it home to Harlan. You know what happened from then until now. The books, the stories, the tv shows, the movies, the spoken word albums, the adventures...the misadventures.

Harlan switched to Olympias in 1952 approximately, and the old Remington in its case was put in storage. Harlan wrote his earliest stories on that Remington, as well as his fanzine, DIMENSIONS. Comparison of the typefaces from the Remington and "Dimensions, issue #15, August-October 1954" authenticate that they are the same.

Harlan did not see (or think about) his first adult typewriter until (circa) late in 2003, when Harlan's niece, Lisa Rubin (daughter of Harlan's recently-deceased sister, Beverly) found the storage bin in which Harlan's mother had packed away items no longer needed. Lisa shipped it to Harlan in Los Angeles, something like 60 years after Harlan used it.

In early 2004, Harlan was solicited by the SF Museum in Seattle for "historic or pivotal" items bearing on his career, so he could be included in their exhibitions in the SF Hall of Fame (a part of Paul Allen's Experience Museum). In April of 2004 Harlan sent 5 items, one of which "on loan" was the 1936-1940 era Remington portable typewriter, still in its battered case.

The period of exhibition ended with the Museum in 2009. It was on display till 2010. It has been returned to Harlan, packed and ready for storage...or shipment.

It was insured by Marsh USA Inc. from 2004 'til 2009 as "fine Art," valued at $5000. Five thousand dollars.

Harlan wants to sell it to the highest bidder, who will then likely resell it for a great deal more money in a catalogue or e.marketplace site.

Harlan asks for your collective mind to use your smarts about The System of Sale that will best, and most easily, make the biggest buck for Harlan and his wife.

Harlan is ADAMANT that he doesn't want to get into the deep-pockets of his general readers or friends. He needs advice how to BEST start up the machine that will conclude its efforts with some INSTITUTIONAL or BUSINESS entity, some fat cat, giving him a gigantic wad of dough.

Harlan asks that you decide among yourselves a code-word thread, or site, or whatever, and the most cogent among you as Ombudsman or Trail-Boss or Co-ordinator, whatever, who will get the preceding out to as many chop-licking entities as possible.

Let it begin. I am, genuinely, deep in your debt.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

HARLAN ELLISON
- Tuesday, August 31 2010 16:16:33
P.S. TO HARLAN'S TYPEWRITER

I forgot to mention: I have all the paperwork, provenance, and verifications of the preceding post in a folder, right here.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Return to the Harlan Ellison Art Deco Dining Pavilion
HarlanEllison.com is under new management. Thank you to Rick Wyatt for his many years of dutiful stewardship of this site.
regetfuly,
Beelzebubbelah
][ 7VF ][

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2021, 04:34:02 AM »
Ha.  I use a Remington Noiseless Portable that’s a year older than Harlan Ellison.  I bought it from the estate of a woman who worked at Remington and had the machine built for her.  They must have taken even extra care in making it, because at 88-years old it still works perfectly.
Merry Christmas

NOT_BEELZEBUBBELAH

• KIDD
  • With you still am i...
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2021, 07:34:27 PM »
===================================================
Allo!
Found i this report paragraph:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 â€œThe Confession Letter.” Why did the writer go to such lengths to conceal the model and individual typewriter? If this was written by a crank across town, he would never be suspected. His typewriter was perfectly safe. In such an instance, what did it matter if the police could prove the typewriter upon which the gross confession was written was a Royal or a Remington? The writer would only go to such lengths if he was a person the police would naturally suspect and possibly issue a search warrant against to examine his house or apartment and therein uncover the typewriter. Or this was a typewriter in the public domain— in other words at the campus. In this case, a search and testing of typewriters could reveal a limited number of people who could have had use of it after hours. Either this would be a secretary’s typewriter or typewriters associated with some classroom. After hours use would suggest a staff member, a limited number of students and, very possibly, a janitor/groundsman. If The Zodiac is responsible for both The Confession and poison notes, he worked at the college. Whoever is responsible for The Confession probably worked at the college.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2021, 07:51:33 AM »

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2021, 06:45:08 AM »

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2021, 07:59:29 AM »
Spiriting up the Pentium II IBM ThinkPad - featuring The Matrix screensaver - after performing a CMOS button battery hack.

It's the little things that give the greatest joy.

I post this here, because these days, many would view this device as being just as "Obsolete Ancient Alien" as any typewriter.

And I do type on it.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2021, 03:36:43 PM »
In the 90's, I used to type on an all-in-one US Videotel machine.

NOT_BEELZEBUBBELAH

• KIDD
  • With you still am i...
Re:Katzenjammer Typography And IBM Selectric II typewriter...
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2021, 07:37:50 PM »
Spiriting up the Pentium II IBM ThinkPad - featuring The Matrix screensaver - after performing a CMOS button battery hack.
====================================
'Allo!
Have i one of these in my home with an bios maintaning data..
Discovered have i an newish plagarist whom has pasted to-gather an trinity of shortish novelettes to sum an book covering past,present,future..
This dunce has the temerity to plagarise the late Harlan Ellison's flawed concept used for the'bible'in "The  Starlost"
heedless to say,without even an nod or smirk.
The pastiche is titled 'Cloud Cookoo Land',i kid you not..
Suggest i that afficionados of the dwarfish Elison BOYCOTT this derivitive dreck!!!
Ta For Now..
Beelzebubbelah
PS:
NO Logo!
][ 7VF ][

It's the little things that give the greatest joy.

I post this here, because these days, many would view this device as being just as "Obsolete Ancient Alien" as any typewriter.

And I do type on it.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
Re:Katzenjammer Typography And IBM Selectric II typewriter...
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2021, 12:04:47 AM »
Discovered have i an newish plagarist whom has pasted to-gather an trinity of shortish novelettes to sum an book covering past,present,future..
This dunce has the temerity to plagarise the late Harlan Ellison's flawed concept used for the'bible'in "The  Starlost"
heedless to say,without even an nod or smirk.
The pastiche is titled 'Cloud Cookoo Land',i kid you not..
Suggest i that afficionados of the dwarfish Elison BOYCOTT this derivitive dreck!!!

I trust your advice, @NOT_BEELZEBUBBELAH and will avoid CLOUD CUCKOO like spoiled turtle egg soup.

Must. Respect. The. Dwarf. Star.

Regarding Pen the ReptileBrainPad.... (See Ambrose Bierce letters of while on a velocipede.)

I have matured in my view in some ways, one way example being :

At this point I would be shocked if you did NOT also have the Pentium II codex.

Onward we expand the Space Opera.

(Versus famous talk show host gaining a few stones)

Thank you, @NOT_BEELZEBUBBELAH

"Featuring Tony Doerr azzzzz the Thiever."