Author Topic: Technology Tidbits  (Read 28951 times)

BartIsGod

• Drone Pilot
Re: Technology Tidbits
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »
Yes ... and a lot of the cool stuff today has its roots in the NASA space program of the 1960's.
Roots in the space program AND in Colonel Corso's file cabinet.

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2018, 12:59:31 AM »
Thanks. I have no nefarious or illegal designs. But curious. So my one-time pads made my random recorded traffic patterns and doppler storm data sent via encrypted short-term SW blasts or number stations won't work. Got a bottle of vodka on this....kidding.
ps: kidding and appreciate your info. Phreaking.was cool.because I could LIMITED understand, the whole computer stuff with hacking and now beyond me.
Are you talking Shortwave Phreaking ? That's a totally different ballgame. What satellites are you running ? (yeah, don't post the frq here, but if you were, and still are running the SatCom, there are a lot of open (abandoned) freq's) BTW - that's a fun playground.  ;)

This is interesting...    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=plasma+antenna
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2018, 01:02:02 AM »
all intel chips since 1995 (except itanium and early atom chips) have whats called "intel me" . this is a on chip operating system (its integrated into the processor itself), meant for sysadmins to be able to remotely configure a  computer. it has many exploits all of which are undetectable by any other operating system (linux,bsd, windows etc)or antivirus.
it can only be fixed by:
1. firmware (bios + microcode) updates (often with detrimental effects)
2. hardware changes during manufacture of said chips.
intel also has ongoing issues with spectre/meltdown, with seemingly weekly revisions of this appearing which bypass mitigation's by intel and OS vendors.
its my opinion that the US govt has known about these flaws since 2008 (and possibly earlier), and has exploited these silently via some sort of malware they have written. only the actual code writers need to know the actual exploit, and the finished program was distributed to govt employed actors to basically steal data.

amd ryzen is affected by affected by the above, but to a much lessor degree.
It's not a bug...      It's a feature.   ;)
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2018, 01:06:16 AM »
It's not a bug...      It's a feature.   ;)

Heh, heh. ;D

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2018, 01:12:31 AM »
I need a garage remote.  I can't afford one.  Here is what I have access to.  Is these supplies enough to make a remote or "camp" on top of someone else's remote when they are home so they don't have to let me in? @wr250

1.  315MHZ transmitter, one button
2.  315MHZ Chamberlain garage door system with purple learn button.
3.  A working, installed wired wall switch with red and white terminals.
4. A door combo pad outside the garage which is not in use.
5.  A non-operational Lift Master 81LM single button remote which is not compatible per the manufacturer.
6.  Limited access (but not possession of) a working, single-button 950CD remote.

I want to use the transmitter to operate the working remote when we both are home.  Can I remote a remote?
This is the best you'll get from me. I won't show you (or anyone else, how to break GDO systems.) They are fricken simple, and if you can't find the info on them, well...
[url}https://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/[/url]   
Caruthers, is that you ?    ;)

BartIsGod

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »
I turn to you to educate me, regarding my 2 week old Galaxy S9, and a music download.

I got an email from grateful dead.net, offering, every day in November, a free (mp3), music download, which I successfully downloaded, but could not play. So here is the series of "taps & clicks" I performed.

Email was opened in my gmail, on the phone, I clicked the "get started"  box, arrived on a page with the options "play now", or "download mp3".
Upon completion of download, I went into Chrome, I tapped the 3 dots, upper right corner, where options are, new tab, bookmarks, history, etc, when I tapped downloads, the one in question was displayed, tapping it however, does nothing, and the 3 dots next to download title only offer share or delete.
So, what am I doing wrong?
Now obviously, i can play/listen on the page where download was offered, but how can i play in future?
Sorry this is so lengthy, but, you know.....

ps, file name as stored in chrome, ends in mp3.
Im wondering do i first need to download an "app for playing mp3's?

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2018, 03:38:56 AM »
I turn to you to educate me, regarding my 2 week old Galaxy S9, and a music download.

I got an email from grateful dead.net, offering, every day in November, a free (mp3), music download, which I successfully downloaded, but could not play. So here is the series of "taps & clicks" I performed.

Email was opened in my gmail, on the phone, I clicked the "get started"  box, arrived on a page with the options "play now", or "download mp3".
Upon completion of download, I went into Chrome, I tapped the 3 dots, upper right corner, where options are, new tab, bookmarks, history, etc, when I tapped downloads, the one in question was displayed, tapping it however, does nothing, and the 3 dots next to download title only offer share or delete.
So, what am I doing wrong?
Now obviously, i can play/listen on the page where download was offered, but how can i play in future?
Sorry this is so lengthy, but, you know.....

ps, file name as stored in chrome, ends in mp3.
Im wondering do i first need to download an "app for playing mp3's?

if you go to the downloads folder you can prob click on the mp3s there and they will play.

albrecht

• Ellightened
Kilogram to be redefined
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »
Why? One reason:   ;)
"“If aliens ever visit Earth what else would we talk about other than physics?” said Schlamminger. “If we want to talk about physics we have to agree on a set of units, but if we say our unit of mass is based on a lump of metal we keep in Paris, we’ll be the laughing stock of the universe.”"

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/2018/nov/09/in-the-balance-scientists-vote-on-first-change-to-kilogram-in-century

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
https://www.wired.com/story/google-internet-traffic-china-russia-rerouted/
Google traffic was rerouted on monday. Its the commie's fault.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
Re: Technology Tidbits - ARC Audio Return Channel
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2018, 12:45:50 AM »
I bought a Samsung TV made in 2015, and I finally figured out that it does not have ARC with it's HDMI port. My Vizio 29", that I use in the office, made in 2013, does have ARC with it's HDMI port.

They way you tell if your receiver and/or your TV has ARC, is that "ARC" will by stamped outside the HDMI port (in very small letters).

ARC, or Audio Return Channel, uses high speed HDMI cables (version 1.4 or later), and allows you to, for example stream Digital audio through the HDMI cable back to your receiver, including DD 5.1. If you don't have ARC, then you can get DD 5.1 through an optical connection from the TV.......but only from the OTA TV channels and internal TV programs, and not from say a Roku stick plugged into your TV's (non-ARC) HDMI port.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2018, 09:53:35 AM »
I bought a Samsung TV made in 2015, and I finally figured out that it does not have ARC with it's HDMI port. My Vizio 29", that I use in the office, made in 2013, does have ARC with it's HDMI port.

They way you tell if your receiver and/or your TV has ARC, is that "ARC" will by stamped outside the HDMI port (in very small letters).

ARC, or Audio Return Channel, uses high speed HDMI cables (version 1.4 or later), and allows you to, for example stream Digital audio through the HDMI cable back to your receiver, including DD 5.1. If you don't have ARC, then you can get DD 5.1 through an optical connection from the TV.......but only from the OTA TV channels and internal TV programs, and not from say a Roku stick plugged into your TV's (non-ARC) HDMI port.
Which model do you have? One of my Samsung TVs from 2014 (Model HU8550xx series) has ARC on one of the HDMI ports.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
Which model do you have? One of my Samsung TVs from 2014 (Model HU8550xx series) has ARC on one of the HDMI ports.

EH5000FXZA UD03 Mfg. April 2015 Purchased in Best Buy store.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2018, 10:41:30 AM »
EH5000FXZA UD03 Mfg. April 2015 Purchased in Best Buy store.
Samsung likes to play around with including/excluding features more than some of the other manufacturers. Another example of this is when Samsung doesn't include the compass sensor on some of it's tablets when lesser priced and lesser known brands include it. To get it you have to go with a much more expensive tablet if you want Samsung. Sometimes it is annoying.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »
Samsung likes to play around with including/excluding features more than some of the other manufacturers. Another example of this is when Samsung doesn't include the compass sensor on some of it's tablets when lesser priced and lesser known brands include it. To get it you have to go with a much more expensive tablet if you want Samsung. Sometimes it is annoying.

I got screwed with my first purchase of a flatscreen TV, a Sanyo, purchased at WalMart.
It had issues with the board after the warranty ran out.

So, I thought I was doing the right thing buy buying a brand leader at Best Buy.

But, before I buy another flatscreen, I'm going to do some serious internet research on what customers and reviewers are saying about it.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2018, 07:46:39 PM »
I got screwed with my first purchase of a flatscreen TV, a Sanyo, purchased at WalMart.
It had issues with the board after the warranty ran out.

So, I thought I was doing the right thing buy buying a brand leader at Best Buy.

But, before I buy another flatscreen, I'm going to do some serious internet research on what customers and reviewers are saying about it.
Check out the AV Forums site. A lot of information and many subforums on TVs and just about anything audio/video related. Link here (click on Forums in the menu bar at the top): https://www.avforums.com/