Author Topic: Current Movies  (Read 13885 times)

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
Current Movies
« on: September 10, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »
There a lot of talk of the classics but no where to talk about Current/ newer movies So this is the thread for that.

I love the Conjuring series, I will probably watch it out of loyalty, but wow the reviews for it has been horrible. But it didn't matter in the box office as it did a HUGE number. Even with the terrible reviews it did more than $10 Million+ more in opening weekend than the 2 Conjuring with both opened at low 40M) even if you take in  inflation the Nun did $8 Million more than the original in opening weekend. Not sure how I feel about that, I am glad the franchise is strong but if this movie is as bad as most say I feel a bit strange it being more successful than the amazing original Conjuring 1+2   

Sep 7-9 Box Office
1 The Nun                           $53,807,379
2 Peppermint                       $13,423,255
3 Crazy Rich Asians               $13,148,404
4 The Meg                              $6,094,327
5 Searching                            $4,570,235
6 Mission: Impossible - Fallout $3,885,798
7 Disney's Christopher Robin    $3,404,931
8 Operation Finale                   $2,871,184
9 BlacKkKlansman                   $2,609,915
10 Alpha                                $2,517,768

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Current Movies
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
There a lot of talk of the classics but no where to talk about Current/ newer movies So this is the thread for that.

I love the Conjuring series...

Thanks for starting this thread.   8)

Like you, one of my buddies is big into the Conjuring series.  Me?  Not so much.  I've seen both Conjuring's but not the Annabelle series, or any other off shoots.  Anyway, I agreed to go see The Nun with him.  Meh.  He loved it.  I thought it was bad.  I get that it ties some things together as a prequel but for me there were just too many mistakes in that film, and quite frankly the fright factor they use is so bland and expected.  I found no suspense whatsoever.  If I were to grade it, for me, on a 5 star scale I'd give it 2.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »
Good thread.

I love GIANT SHARK movies. Not little jaws films, I mean the Megs! So I am definitely looking forward to this one. I'm expecting a good B-grade movie because nobody seems to be all that crafty with these ones.

Always up for a new horror. Hereditary was good, but could have been near perfect. If they only would have done their homework on the topic.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:44:01 AM »
Good thread.

I love GIANT SHARK movies. Not little jaws films, I mean the Megs! So I am definitely looking forward to this one. I'm expecting a good B-grade movie because nobody seems to be all that crafty with these ones.

Always up for a new horror. Hereditary was good, but could have been near perfect. If they only would have done their homework on the topic.

The Meg wasn't bad.  Better than I expected.  I wish it had a bigger death toll.  I'm strange that way. 

I still need to see Hereditary.  I love horror movies.  I cannot wait until the new Halloween comes out.  Overlord too.   8)

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »
Okay saw The Nun on the Tuesday discount showing. Theater was backed and sold out half an hour before show time (thank goodness I got my tickets online hours before) I liked the characters, The lead actress sister (Vera) is one of my favorites and Taissa in this film held her own good, the priest was pretty likable and had some good moments, Frenchie was okay with comic relief.

Maybe because the reviews were so bad I was going on with low expectations but I didn't mind it. Certainly not as good as the Conjuring but not bad. I like the characters and some of the scenery is scary. Spooky nuns give me the creeps.

Hereditary was on my watch list but never ended up going. Will probably watch it when it runs on demand

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:36:51 AM »

I love the Conjuring series, I will probably watch it out of loyalty, but wow the reviews for it has been horrible. But it didn't matter in the box office as it did a HUGE number. Even with the terrible reviews it did more than $10 Million+ more in opening weekend than the 2 Conjuring with both opened at low 40M) even if you take in  inflation the Nun did $8 Million more than the original in opening weekend. Not sure how I feel about that, I am glad the franchise is strong but if this movie is as bad as most say I feel a bit strange it being more successful than the amazing original Conjuring 1+2   

Sep 7-9 Box Office
1 The Nun                           $53,807,379
2 Peppermint                       $13,423,255
3 Crazy Rich Asians               $13,148,404
4 The Meg                              $6,094,327
5 Searching                            $4,570,235
6 Mission: Impossible - Fallout $3,885,798
7 Disney's Christopher Robin    $3,404,931
8 Operation Finale                   $2,871,184
9 BlacKkKlansman                   $2,609,915
10 Alpha                                $2,517,768
I saw Searching but hated it. I like to multitask while watching any movie that is not intellectuel or art house. I had it on while I cleaned my apartment and did yoga and cooked.

The first thing that sucked about it was That most of the movie was the chars sitting their offices alone typing and clicking. It   required reading text and emails the characters were sending to each other. If im going to read something, it will be a book, not a badly done movie.

There was no action and little dialogue.

The movie expected the viewers to watch every minute of it or risk getting lost. I did not appreciate such an expectation from a B movie.

Not much happened during the entire 100 minutes or so. Just text ing each other.  It was terrible.

The Meg was a combination of jaws and godzilla but with a worse director than Spielberg.  There was no tension and drama. Jaws always scares me when I watch it. With Meg, I struggled to stay awake despite drinking coffee through it.

From the beginning,  you knew what was going to happen.

It was okay to watch while doing yoga and surfing the web,  but it would be impossible to sit through the entire thing trapped in a theatre with nothing fun to do.

The movie Alpha sounds familiar. I think I tried to watched it one night but fell asleep, despite having had two pots of coffee a little earlier..

Skyscraper is horrible.  The director should never be allowed to do another film again.

Hereditary, adrift, amerci an animals, summer of 84 are all okay as things to watch in the background while you re doing something more interesting  (kind of like talk radio)  ;

Destination Wedding was probably the best. I actually laughed a few times.  Some of the lines were a hoot, and the acting was good.

Dawnseeker is a B movie filmed in Serbia or something.  It looked like the actors were having fun most of the time.

A Beautiful Picture was dreadful

Reprisal is an okay action flick.  Definitely a multi-tasker.

To All the Boys Ive Loved Before is probably the best for teenaged girls . For its target audience, it's good. The acting was good and the writing decent. It's not really something to watch if you are older than 20.

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 11:09:27 AM »
The Equalizer 2 -- i've started it twice but haven't been able to finish. I cant get into it. Maybe I need to watch Equalizer 1 first.

That's all the current movies I recall seeing. Maybe ill watch Nun or Sicario tonight.

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »
Okay saw The Nun on the Tuesday discount showing. Theater was backed and sold out half an hour before show time (thank goodness I got my tickets online hours before) I liked the characters, The lead actress sister (Vera) is one of my favorites and Taissa in this film held her own good, the priest was pretty likable and had some good moments, Frenchie was okay with comic relief.

Maybe because the reviews were so bad I was going on with low expectations but I didn't mind it. Certainly not as good as the Conjuring but not bad. I like the characters and some of the scenery is scary. Spooky nuns give me the creeps.

Hereditary was on my watch list but never ended up going. Will probably watch it when it runs on demand

I think I'll probably wait until the Nun comes to video.  My wife probably won't go see it with me anyway as she doesn't like to watch horror films as much as she used to.  The Conjuring films are fun but in retrospect the 1st one didn't cover the Peron haunting the way it should have.  There were plenty of true events left out that would have made the original film even scarier.  No need to fictionalize it with the "exorcism" which didn't happen.  The 2nd film was a disappointment for me.  The Nun character was completely fictional and the Warrens were hardly even involved in the original Enfield case.  They spent a weekend in England checking it out but that was it.  There were better stories from the Warren case files to use.

Now the nun movie I'm waiting for is Paul Verhoeven's Benedetta coming in 2019.  That promises to anger the Catholic Church.  Unfortunately, it is being filmed in French but I'll get over it.

"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
Nun 2018. It's a thriller set in post war Romania. The story line is that a nun at an abbaye in the carpathian region of Romania suicided. Sur round ing her death are rumours of demoniac activity.   The Vatican senDS a priest and an apprentice Nun to investigate.

The director put some thought into filming it--much more than most other summer releases.  The trip to the abbé and parts  the soundtrack are Reminesent of Werner Herzog's 1978 master piece Nosferatu. 

The writing is better than average. Also un its favor is the fact that it is not a remake or sequel--It's not Batman 67.

What’s not working for me is the fact that I had to take a break from watching it and surf the web. It’s not compelling enough to devote my full attention to it. Unfortunately it's not a multi-tasker either. Too many subtle things you'll miss if you don't pay attention. It requires some thinking too.

Im about half way through.  Ill go clean my apartment a bit and make another hot toddy and get back to it.

It wouldn't be fair to rate it until I finish, but it’s definitely one of the better films this summer.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
Forgot to mention I watched BlacKkKlansman when if first came out a few weeks ago. IT was a little preachy at times but overall fun. It was pretty wild seeing the geeky guy from That 70s Show playing David Duke

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »
IT was a little preachy at times

Preachy, may I assume you're talking about, white guilt? Spike's pretty big on that stuff.

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 01:22:47 AM »
Forgot to mention I watched BlacKkKlansman when if first came out a few weeks ago. IT was a little preachy at times but overall fun. It was pretty wild seeing the geeky guy from That 70s Show playing David Duke

That's the major problem I have with new shows especially new tv programs.  They get preachy pushing agendas.  I don't watch new TV shows anymore because of it save for a few shows out of Great Britain.

New movies aren't as bad because it means bad box office if they get too preachy.  Still, I'm watching fewer and fewer new movies.  I like very few actors now and I'm not that old.  Jeremy Renner is good but he's the exception for the most part. Ryan Reynolds is good as Deadpool but I don't like him in anything else.
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
Preachy, may I assume you're talking about, white guilt? Spike's pretty big on that stuff.
I can't stand preachy movies. I saw the movie Crash 10 years ago and was disgusted by the preaching. Never again. Cant believe that abortion of a film won an Oscar. Bareback Mountain was a million times better.

I guess I should skip the klansman movie .

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 11:17:08 AM »
That's the major problem I have with new shows especially new tv programs.  They get preachy pushing agendas.  I don't watch new TV shows anymore because of it save for a few shows out of Great Britain.

New movies aren't as bad because it means bad box office if they get too preachy.  Still, I'm watching fewer and fewer new movies.  I like very few actors now and I'm not that old.  Jeremy Renner is good but he's the exception for the most part. Ryan Reynolds is good as Deadpool but I don't like him in anything else.
Amen.  When I check to see what new movies are showing, much more often than not, it usually just gives me a reason to stay home and watch something on TCM or pop-in a DVD.  These days, when the so-called critics are falling all over themselves praising a movie, it's usually because it's pushing some social engineering agenda.  And I'm not into the never-ending comic super hero movies, either.  ::)
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »
I was divided to watch Searching or A Simple Favor . Taking F&B advice I avoided Searching and went with Simple Favor

A Simple Favor is certainly falls into more of a chick movie. I do like Anna Kendrick which help me sell on this movie. It's a bit of a mystery flick with some comedy sprinkled in. It wasn't too bad, I actually enjoyed it

Hope i didn't scare too many people away from BlacKkKlansman. The preachiness I mentioned wasn't too strong, I would say it's a decent rental

Last weekend Box office Sep 14-16
1 The Predator (2018)                  $24,632,284   
2 The Nun                                     $18,238,263   
3 A Simple Favor                     $16,011,689   
4 White Boy Rick                      $8,860,431   
5 Crazy Rich Asians                      $8,688,369   
6 Peppermint                         $6,004,227   
7 The Meg                                      $3,862,851   
8 Searching                              $3,179,538   
9 Mission: Impossible Fallout          $2,285,225   
10 Unbroken: Path to Redemption   $2,238,723   

LOL the Nun is ridiculous they are at $88 Million total on a 22 Million budget lol. Predator kind of flopped even though it is first place only making $24.5M on a 88M movie it doesn't look like it will break even in NA.

Coming out this weekend [Rotten Tomatoes rating)
-House with a clock in it's wall [65%]
-Fahrenheit 11 9 [80%] (which I am sure will be very popular around here lol)
-Assassination Nation [68%]
-Life Itself [14%]
-The Sisters Brothers [84%]