Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1427232 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
The 100 Years Ago Thread
« on: July 09, 2018, 01:01:54 AM »
Special thanks to Bart Ell for making this great site available so that we can continue with the 100 Years Ago thread.

From the Imperial War Museum, July 9, 1918.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Close up of a front gunner's cockpit of a French Caudron twin engined biplane at the Villacoublay aerodrome, 9 July 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205307781 © IWM (Q 58598)

WOTR

• Drone Pilot
  • Run Airyn... Run and don't look back...
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:16:13 AM »
Good to see you Rikki.  I'm sorry that all of your articles at the other place seem to be lost to history (again.)  But lots of us read them and enjoyed a dose of history from not so long ago...

I was a little concerned that you either would not make it, or would decide it was not worth continuing the threads.  Nice to see you here and posting.  :)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 04:02:12 AM »
Good to see you Rikki.  I'm sorry that all of your articles at the other place seem to be lost to history (again.)  But lots of us read them and enjoyed a dose of history from not so long ago...

I was a little concerned that you either would not make it, or would decide it was not worth continuing the threads.  Nice to see you here and posting.  :)

And I am very glad to see you once again WOTR.  Dave S. mentioned during his show that everyone was gathering at Bart's site and for that I am grateful.  I am very happy to start the history thread up again and yes, the older thread may be gone with the wind but that's okay.  I treat the thread like a hobby and speaking of which, I recall one where as a kid, I used to assemble and paint plastic car models.  I spent a lot of time making them as authentic as possible and accumulated a big boxful of them.  Well, one day when I was out of the house, my mom gave the box of models to a kid that had lost his dad.  There was really nothing I could do but shrug my shoulders and start in making some more car models.  I guess it's the same here.  I am very glad that you and some others enjoy the thread.  I will try to make it as interesting as it was before.  :)         

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:28:17 AM »
Good to see this thread again!   8)

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:33:04 AM »
By 1918, about half of the cars the United States were Model T's, also called "flivvers." A runabout version that seated two people cost $500.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »

Mary Pickford was called "America's Sweetheart" and the "girl with the curls."  The silent film star attracted a huge fan base. All of that hair was typical of the "Gibson Girl" archetype that women emulated during the turn of the century.

In August 1918, Pickford's contract expired with Paramount Pictures, she was offered $250,000 to leave the motion picture business by Adolph Zukor who was the founder.  She declined, and went to First National Pictures, which agreed to her terms.  In 1919, Pickford, along with D.W. Griffith, Charlie Chaplin, and Douglas Fairbanks, formed the independent film production company United Artists.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 01:34:23 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, July 10, 1918.

An American gas sentry outside shelter at Watou, 10 July 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205308489 © IWM (Q 60980)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 01:49:51 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Rogue River Courier, July 10, 1918.

WAITERS ARRESTED FOR USING "MICKY FINN'

Chicago, July 10. Ten waiters and officials of the waiter union were indicted here today as a result of the investigation showing that persons, who had slighted the waiters in giving tips, had been drugged with "Micky Finn" emetic powders.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »
By 1918, about half of the cars the United States were Model T's, also called "flivvers." A runabout version that seated two people cost $500.

I hope that guy on the right doesn't accidentally take a step backwards without looking!!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »
I hope that guy on the right doesn't accidentally take a step backwards without looking!!

No kidding.  Also what is the guy wearing the straw hat doing?  He looks kind of suspicious.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »
No kidding.  Also what is the guy wearing the straw hat doing?  He looks kind of suspicious.

Yeah, like he is making a get away or hiding from someone. Or is that Buster Keaton doing a stunt?

spacegirl

• KMST
  • ////// CARPE CAELO! //////
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »
. . . you knew it'd be SPACE-related:

Using mostly the sixty-inch (diameter mirror telescope) marvel at Mt. Wilson (pictured below) [Fig. 2] , Harlow Shapley discovered that "the solar system is off center and consequently man is too." 

He had mapped out the positions and distances of objects called "globular clusters" and determined them to enclose the center of the galaxy in a rough sphere — at the outer edge of which Earth is camped [Fig. 1].

Figure 1

Soon these observations, buttressed by Vesto Slipher, at Mt. Lowell, then hugely amplified by Edwin Hubble and Milton Humason in 1925 would free more minds from religion than Darwin's work half a century before.

Figure 2

*the staff were still working out the kinks with the newly completed one-hundred-inch.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 07:15:13 PM »

Well. Well.  Rix Gins made it! Just in disguise a bit.  It is good to have you here at Ellgab - very good!   

If you want to see what the dude in the straw hat is up to, you will just have to watch the movie.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 07:16:21 PM »
Cool info, spacegirl.  Here is a pic of the 60 inch mirror being hauled up the mountain to the observatory back in 1917.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 07:20:17 PM »
Well. Well.  Rix Gins made it! Just in disguise a bit.  It is good to have you here at Ellgab - very good!   

If you want to see what the dude in the straw hat is up to, you will just have to watch the movie.

Yes! I was thinking Harold Lloyd but typed Buster Keaton (though it could be him also. They sorta have similar look and such.)  ;)