Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1427231 times)

spacegirl

• KMST
  • ////// CARPE CAELO! //////
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 07:24:07 PM »
Cool info, spacegirl.  Here is a pic of the 60 inch mirror being hauled up the mountain to the observatory back in 1917.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Yes!  And look closely . . .

they were Mack trucks.   ;D

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »
Well. Well.  Rix Gins made it! Just in disguise a bit.  It is good to have you here at Ellgab - very good!   

If you want to see what the dude in the straw hat is up to, you will just have to watch the movie.

Hi Walks.  Yes, I lurked for awhile before signing up, just like I did with BellGab.  Great to see you again, too. 

The straw hat.  Of course!  Harold Lloyd.  I will watch it to see what Harold is up to, and to see if that worker falls into the manhole.  Thanks.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »
Yes!  And look closely . . .

they were Mack trucks.   ;D

Ha!  Indeed they were.  Thanks for posting on this thread.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 07:31:17 PM »
Hi Walks.  Yes, I lurked for awhile before signing up, just like I did with BellGab.  Great to see you again, too. 

The straw hat.  Of course!  Harold Lloyd.  I will watch it to see what Harold is up to, and to see if that worker falls into the manhole.  Thanks.

Straw hats were popular and they even had a system sort of like the club or regimental ties across the pond and at certain universities.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 07:36:25 PM »

You bet.  After I finished off the 100 years ago automotive section at the old place, I got a little burned out and slid into the mire of
the Falkie and Dietrich threads.  I'm thinking about cleaning up my act.  I'll probably contribute some here and am toying with the idea of starting something similar to the aviation thread.  We'll see how it goes.

spacegirl

• KMST
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »
Straw hats were popular and they even had a system sort of like the club or regimental ties across the pond and at certain universities.

They were seasonal, as I recall.  One of my favorite bits of obsolete slang is, "a good summer straw."

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
They were seasonal, as I recall.  One of my favorite bits of obsolete slang is, "a good summer straw."

Yep, that "tradition" is still sorta of carried on by cowboys etc though it is more to do with practicality and not fashion (though some places maybe for fashion.) Straw hat being cooler and still keeping sun off but ventilated and felt hat being warmer and both keeping sun, snow, or rain etc off of you.

There have been riots and violence due to fashion faux paus!  WTF? Roaming about attacking people with nailed sticks because they still wore straw out of season? Damn now I got to remember that deal about "white", something to do with Labor and Memorial Day? Lest I get attacked by a roving gang....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Hat_Riot    :o ;D

spacegirl

• KMST
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »

And I thought all the good band names were used up already.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
Yep, that "tradition" is still sorta of carried on by cowboys etc though it is more to do with practicality and not fashion (though some places maybe for fashion.) Straw hat being cooler and still keeping sun off but ventilated and felt hat being warmer and both keeping sun, snow, or rain etc off of you.

There have been riots and violence due to fashion faux paus!  WTF? Roaming about attacking people with nailed sticks because they still wore straw out of season? Damn now I got to remember that deal about "white", something to do with Labor and Memorial Day? Lest I get attacked by a roving gang....

That's a  hoot.  Check this out:
" The more innocuous stomping turned into a brawl when the youths tried to stomp a group of dock workers' hats, and the dock workers fought back"

Who starts a rumble with Longshoremen over hats?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 02:20:04 AM »
Enrico Caruso sings "Over There" first in English and then in French.  Recorded 100 years ago today.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »
Enrico Caruso sings "Over There" first in English and then in French.  Recorded 100 years ago today.

Mario Lanza played him in a movie. Jeff Rense has a site about Lanza and apparently is a huge fan.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »

It's ladies' shoes only between Memorial and Labor Day, unless in a resort area, whatever that is.  Seersucker (and the obligatory white bucks) follows the same rule for gentlemen, I believe.

spacegirl

• KMST
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
Caruso sings

It doesn't matter how many times I read this name, I'll always hear it the way Klaus Kinski said it.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 01:00:18 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, July 12, 1918.

Infantry practicing an attack behind a smoke screen and a tank. Photograph taken at Sautricourt, 12 July 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205245545 © IWM (Q 9819)

Air mechanics working on wrecked fuselages of reconnaissance aircraft at the aircraft repair depot near Rang du Fliers, 12 July 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205247609 © IWM (Q 12074)

WOTR

• Drone Pilot
  • Run Airyn... Run and don't look back...
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 01:11:28 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, July 12, 1918.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205245545 © IWM (Q 9819)

Those first tanks were quite something.  All new technology.  The "wrap around" tracks just fascinate me.