Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503477 times)

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
Once was a pastoral scene, less so now...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wayback Machine Mr. Peabody, please...

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »

Way cool.  Please take me with you.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
What we lack in AC we make up for with nice long siestas and cold cerveza on ice.

I'll have Sherman find you a straw hat and suspenders so we don't stand out...

;)

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 05:36:18 PM »

Cool postcard.
About a year ago I hit El Paso right around dusk from the highway you see Juarez and it is quite jarring. The difference (even with all the illegals and legals of Mexican descent in El Paso) between Juarez and El Paso is amazing. Really shocking and jarring and make you appreciate why we need a border and also why people risk so much to flee here. Like looking into the 3rd World from a modern highway.

Another funny thing is it seems any white person I meet, regardless of where I meet them, who grew up in El Paso or in counties around there all seem to know each other! Another odd fact considering the open border etc. At the same time Juarez was busy setting world records for murders and especially murders of women El Paso was one of the USA's safest cities.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 09:07:19 PM »
Ha, wow.  I take it you got those while you are out and about.  Great idea, Weiner.  You will have a nice collection in no time at all.  :)

I pass these from time to time and I figured that a hat tip your way was in order. These will be used as intended, and hopefully put a smile of pleasant surprise on an old friends face.
No. I can't collect as my OCD will not allow clutter in my truck, and I don't mind this because it keeps me efficient.
Again, welcome back and thank you for your posts!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »
I pass these from time to time and I figured that a hat tip your way was in order. These will be used as intended, and hopefully put a smile of pleasant surprise on an old friends face.
No. I can't collect as my OCD will not allow clutter in my truck, and I don't mind this because it keeps me efficient.
Again, welcome back and thank you for your posts!

Thanks, W.  Stay safe out there, now.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 09:38:07 PM »
Cool postcard.
About a year ago I hit El Paso right around dusk from the highway you see Juarez and it is quite jarring. The difference (even with all the illegals and legals of Mexican descent in El Paso) between Juarez and El Paso is amazing. Really shocking and jarring and make you appreciate why we need a border and also why people risk so much to flee here. Like looking into the 3rd World from a modern highway.

Oh yeah!

You look to the SW and see:

And understand in Mejico the poor people live on the HIGH ground, not like in the USA...

No running water, minimal sewers, minimal electrification, etc.

It's a real eye opener.

Another funny thing is it seems any white person I meet, regardless of where I meet them, who grew up in El Paso or in counties around there all seem to know each other! Another odd fact considering the open border etc.

The Metz family perhaps and the Murchisons...uh huh...

https://www.kvia.com/news/el-paso-historian-leon-metz-receives-achievement-award/53124814

But don't stop there.

Before shorty 'el chapo' there was the "lord of the skies",  one Amado Carillo:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/82957.Down_by_the_River

Down by the River: Drugs, Money, Murder, and Family
by Charles Bowden
 3.97  ·   Rating details ·  448 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Lionel Bruno Jordan was murdered on January 20, 1995, in an El Paso parking lot, but he keeps coming back as the key to a multibillion-dollar drug industry, two corrupt governments -- one called the United States and the other Mexico -- and a self-styled War on Drugs that is a fraud. Beneath all the policy statements and bluster of politicians is a real world of lies, pain, and big money.
Down by the River is the true narrative of how a murder led one American family into this world and how it all but destroyed them. It is the story of how one Mexican drug leader outfought and outthought the U.S. government, of how major financial institutions were fattened on the drug industry, and how the governments of the U.S. and Mexico buried everything that happened. All this happens down by the river, where the public fictions finally end and the facts read like fiction. This is a remarkable American story about drugs, money, murder, and family.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/22/books/everyone-has-enemies-here.html

Carrillo serves as the evil genius of this story, a stand-in for the entire Mexican drug trade, and in that sense the oddly necessary companion of Phil Jordan, the D.E.A. and the United States itself. Was it possible that Carrillo or someone like him had murdered the innocent Bruno as a carefully tailored message, meant not merely to punish Phil Jordan and tear his family apart but to taunt him privately and mock his inability to respond? Jordan clearly suspected so, and he set out at all costs to uncover the truth. Bowden takes it from there.
At the same time Juarez was busy setting world records for murders and especially murders of women El Paso was one of the USA's safest cities.

Because the cartels NEED to keep it safe for crossing over and through damned fast and up to Albert Turkey on I-25 for their Amazon drug distribution megaplex.

"Breaking Bad" was a documentary, not a fiction.

And from there = the rest of the USA!

But I love the borderland, it is in my heart.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »
The beautiful Organ Mtns. by Las Cruces NM:

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
Here we have a postcard showing Richard's Lilac Lodge in Hillside, Illinois. 

It is listed as being a restaurant and lounge on the back of the card but it certainly does have the look of being a lodge or grange, what with the way the tables are set up.

I didn't expect to find much while researching Richard's lodge but actually there is a wealth of information available on the place.

A fellow put lots of items regarding Richard's in a Facebook post that did open for me, though I'm not a member of Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151938122216644&type=1

One thing is for sure, they had top flight entertainment there.

I found the following info that gives a rundown on the place:

Stacie B. M. The Lilac Grill? (same as Lilac Lodge?)

Rob V. Yes. The Lilac lineage as follows: Lilac grill, Remick's Lilac Lodge, Richard's Lilac Lodge - 1st one, burned down 1964. After the '64 fire we now shift to the east side of Wolf Rd. directly across from the aforementioned. "Lulu Belle's Across The Street" - razed to the ground and replaced with Richard's Lilac Lodge - 2nd one, opened 1967.

Yes, there was a fire there.  It was arson related: https://www.nytimes.com/1964/05/31/arson-and-bombs-plaguing-chicago.html 

If we were to try and eat at Richard's Lodge we wouldn't be standing inside of the restaurant because it's gone.  But we would be standing inside of a Bouna Italian Beef take out restaurant, so it's nice to know that we can still get something to eat there.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »
Here we have a postcard showing Richard's Lilac Lodge in Hillside, Illinois. 

It is listed as being a restaurant and lounge on the back of the card but it certainly does have the look of being a lodge or grange, what with the way the tables are set up.

I didn't expect to find much while researching Richard's lodge but actually there is a wealth of information available on the place.

A fellow put lots of items regarding Richard's in a Facebook post that did open for me, though I'm not a member of Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151938122216644&type=1

One thing is for sure, they had top flight entertainment there.

I found the following info that gives a rundown on the place:

Stacie B. M. The Lilac Grill? (same as Lilac Lodge?)

Rob V. Yes. The Lilac lineage as follows: Lilac grill, Remick's Lilac Lodge, Richard's Lilac Lodge - 1st one, burned down 1964. After the '64 fire we now shift to the east side of Wolf Rd. directly across from the aforementioned. "Lulu Belle's Across The Street" - razed to the ground and replaced with Richard's Lilac Lodge - 2nd one, opened 1967.

Yes, there was a fire there.  It was arson related: https://www.nytimes.com/1964/05/31/arson-and-bombs-plaguing-chicago.html 

If we were to try and eat at Richard's Lodge we wouldn't be standing inside of the restaurant because it's gone.  But we would be standing inside of a Bouna Italian Beef take out restaurant, so it's nice to know that we can still get something to eat there.

I know exactly where that intersection is. I went to HS in Hillside, Illinois for 3 years before moving to Texas before my senior year. I need to put myself into a trance to see if I can remote view what was there up until 1972.
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »

I know exactly where that intersection is. I went to HS in Hillside, Illinois for 3 years before moving to Texas before my senior year. I need to put myself into a trance to see if I can remote view what was there up until 1972.

Now that is so cool Grav!  I was hoping that occasional 'small world' stuff would pop up during the making of the postcard thread.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
This thread rocks, really cool seeing all these snapshots through time!

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »

Considering there's no catenary & only 2 rails, where's the car getting electricity from?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
Considering there's no catenary & only 2 rails, where's the car getting electricity from?

Not an expert on trolleys but there is another set of rail (power source?) behind the car, to the left, but not in front...so that passengers don't step on the energized rail while boarding the car?  Also they might have additional track somewhere else that has a catenary and thus that pole thing on top of the trolley would be put into use.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »
Not in my postcard collection but I like this cool looking building in the state of Florida.  It is located in the Bok Tower Gardens and it is sometimes referred to as being 'the Singing Tower.'  It is a magnificent piece of architecture and it plays chimes.  Here is some info on the tower:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bok_Tower_Gardens