Author Topic: PP Movie Review Thread.  (Read 2859 times)

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
Re: PP Movie Review Thread.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 07:03:09 PM »
I want to start keeping better track of the films I watch and my feelings on them. I will rate movies here on a scale of 1-10 and give a few thoughts. My scale is heavily weighted towards the middle, meaning a 5 is a perfectly acceptable but probably forgettable movie experience.

To start off I will say my favorite movie going experience of the year has been Ari Aster's Midsommar. It's a slow burn folk horror, film in the vein of the original Wicker Man only much better in my opinion.  The cinematography and directing were beyond impressive. There were several shots that on a technical level made my jaw drop.  Equally beautiful and disturbing, I give it an 8 out of 10.

This is the last movie I saw in the theaters, I would call it a total mindfck. I kind of few it as a horror movie for people who hate horror movie (someone I went with is not a fan of current horror but loved this one) It breaks a lot of the current horror cliché (heck the whole movie is done in bright sunshine) A slow burn is right, you just feel a discomfort growing throughout and the end is pretty unsettling. I think it certainly is memorable and will stay with you for a little bit.

Thanks for the Scary Stories to tell in  the dark review. I see it on the listings, it catches my interest but I have not heard much about it. But it seems to be doing well with making a total of 40M in two weeks surpassing there 25M budget with a 81% RT critics and 72% audience. It might be a fun throwaway movie

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
This is the last movie I saw in the theaters, I would call it a total mindfck. I kind of few it as a horror movie for people who hate horror movie (someone I went with is not a fan of current horror but loved this one) It breaks a lot of the current horror cliché (heck the whole movie is done in bright sunshine) A slow burn is right, you just feel a discomfort growing throughout and the end is pretty unsettling. I think it certainly is memorable and will stay with you for a little bit.

Thanks for the Scary Stories to tell in  the dark review. I see it on the listings, it catches my interest but I have not heard much about it. But it seems to be doing well with making a total of 40M in two weeks surpassing there 25M budget with a 81% RT critics and 72% audience. It might be a fun throwaway movie
It is a fun popcorn flick that will push a few nostalgia buttons. A nice warmup for It chapter 2 next month.
    If you enjoy Midsommar and Hereditary, I recommend checking out Ari Asters short films as well especially The strange thing about the Johnsons. The guy knows how to make a viewer feel uneasy for sure. https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3570679/looking-ari-asters-obsession-familial-horror-disturbing-short-films/

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 07:39:51 AM »
Life has been busy haven't had as much time for movies as usual,  but things are clearing out and we need more variety around here so I'll attempt to keep this updated more regularly.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

With that said Joker 7 out of 10. The acting by Joaquin Phoenix was next level off the charts.  It was definitely a character study through and through. While well executed I couldn't get over how derivative it was of 2  Martin Scorcese films,  King of Comedy and of course Taxi Driver, hence the 7 and not 8. I also would have preferred the Joker to be smarter. I felt like this movie was Todd Phillips saying "FU" to pc culture and being told what we can and can't laugh at.

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 08:16:03 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lake Mungo (2008) This 2008 Australian film fell under the radar and is an absolute hidden gem in my opinion.  Utilizing a faux documentary style, a family begins to investigate when their drowned daughter starts appearing in recent photographs. To give more away would be doing a disservice. This movie and the underlying mystery at its core was genuinely unsettling.  Very atmospheric and left a mark on me long after the credits rolled. It's available to watch on Amazon prime these days,  go watch it  for an October chill. 7 out of 10.

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood/i]

I love this movie. It's kind of like a Love Story by Quentin Tarantino to Hollywood. I remember those days well; hollyrock was kind of transitioning out of the old golden era. Very interesting time.
 I can tell you Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio had great chemistry. The movies a little long. Almost 3 hours I think. But well worth it. You'll love the ending. Which I won't give you any hint about. The only thing I really didn't like about it, was the way they treated Bruce Lee which was kind of bullshit.

I just saw Once Upon A Time Hollywood tonight. I absolutely love this film and I have never particularly liked Quentin Tarantino or his movies.  Charlie Manson was a negative influence on my brother and I loved seeing part of his "family" being killed and mutilated and Tate surviving.  Just think if Tate had lived perhaps Polanski would have never fucked that girl and his life would not be a mess.  Then again, maybe not

Also I felt like I took a trip to my early childhood.  I loved all the cultural references from my youth, like the old Taco Bell and Der Weinershitzel restaurants as well as Sinister Seymour, Real Don Steele and 93 KHJ.   Absolutely my favorite film of the last few years and I have never been crazy about Tarantino.  5 stars!!!
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 10:50:52 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation.  I love the Wicker Man so I'm sure I'll love this.
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 05:37:27 AM »
I just saw Once Upon A Time Hollywood tonight. I absolutely love this film and I have never particularly liked Quentin Tarantino or his movies.  Charlie Manson was a negative influence on my brother and I loved seeing part of his "family" being killed and mutilated and Tate surviving.  Just think if Tate had lived perhaps Polanski would have never fucked that girl and his life would not be a mess.  Then again, maybe not

Also I felt like I took a trip to my early childhood.  I loved all the cultural references from my youth, like the old Taco Bell and Der Weinershitzel restaurants as well as Sinister Seymour, Real Don Steele and 93 KHJ.   Absolutely my favorite film of the last few years and I have never been crazy about Tarantino.  5 stars!!!

@21st Century Man  I share the same sentiment regarding Tarantino and his movies.  I didn't consider seeing this film but after reading your review I feel compelled to check it out.  Am I to assume this has an alternative history theme?

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 07:23:47 AM »
@21st Century Man  I share the same sentiment regarding Tarantino and his movies.  I didn't consider seeing this film but after reading your review I feel compelled to check it out.  Am I to assume this has an alternative history theme?

@ShayP,  that it does!!! ;D

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2020, 11:22:55 PM »
Star Wars Rise of Skywalker.  I don't want to slam this movie too much, as it was a lot of fun. I do recommend watching it. It's just, I expect more out of Star Wars, and I came away with the feeling J.J. Abrams and Disney had no real plan going into
this trilogy. There were so many retcons in this film it made me dizzy.  With that said, there were many great heartfelt moments that will bring a tear to any long term fan's eye. There was non stop action throughout. I was never once bored.   I just wish there was more substance and plot as this felt like a popcorn movie with a heavy dose of nostalgia thrown in. 6/10.  I can expand on more later,  I do want to be respectful of spoilers for now.    @Jedimiller  You're the biggest star wars fan I know and I look forward to your review.  I enjoyed it,  I just had hoped it would be something I'd enjoy more.

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2020, 11:42:56 PM »
Now my personal top 5 movies of the year.  Some of these I haven't scored here yet but will.
5) Joker. I'm a sucker for the  Scorsese films that obviously inspired it,  it was a nice throwback to 70s and 80s cinema.
4) The Lighthouse. Pattinson and Dafoe were amazing in this.
3) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Quentin Tarantino, enough said.
2) The Irishman. I love the mob epics.  Nice to see one in 2019. Always great to see Pacino and De Niro doing what they do best
1) Midsommar.  Listening to the soundtrack alone for this movie gives me severe anxiety.  It's a film that left a lasting scar on my soul.