Author Topic: computer annoyances  (Read 4200 times)

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
computer annoyances
« on: April 14, 2019, 02:42:45 PM »
#1 is hilarious

statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: computer annoyances
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 05:28:15 PM »
"It's got dark! Where has all that time gone?"

Oh so indelibly true.

Good video, Apple's new connectors deserved a mention. ::)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 05:46:11 PM »
Wholeheartedly agree with #2.

Not to simplify things but doesn't #1 come down to self control and just being aware?

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 05:48:21 PM »
Wholeheartedly agree with #2.

Not to simplify things but doesn't #1 come down to self control and just being aware?

Huh?

Sorry, lost track of time again, what was your point? ;)

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »
I loved that video, @wr250, thanks! I actually agree with all five of his annoyances!  ;D

But help! help! help!  I had my firefox set to NOT autoplay videos that come up on pages for the longest time, I hate it when videos start to play without my wanting them to.

In the last few weeks, videos have started autoplaying again, driving me nuts. I have searched for solutions all over the internet, had already implemented them, so nothing new to do. Firefox announce in their latest update that they are slowly rolling out a "fix" which will let videos autoplay but without sound unless you turn the sound on.

My update has not gotten this feature yet. Actually, I don't want them to play AT ALL, like I had it set till now.

Any suggestions, anyone? And please don't tell me to switch to Chrome, it does the same thing and I prefer the Firefox interface.

Thanks in advance!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 10:59:10 AM »
FYI:
The Block Autoplay feature will be turned on gradually during the Firefox version 66 release cycle, so some users may not see it.
Firefox blocks all media with sound from playing automatically. If you want a website to automatically play media, you can give it permission using one of the methods below.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-autoplay

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 09:34:44 PM »
FYI:
The Block Autoplay feature will be turned on gradually during the Firefox version 66 release cycle, so some users may not see it.
Firefox blocks all media with sound from playing automatically. If you want a website to automatically play media, you can give it permission using one of the methods below.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-autoplay

Yes, yes, I know this @26 horses, but I am asking to restore my previous state which was that firefox did not autoplay videos at all unless I clicked on them to start them. Now they play automatically, but as of this afternoon, thank the gods there is no sound. I just don't want to see the videos in motion at all unless I choose to... like I was able to do until recently. Feh!  :P
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 10:16:16 AM »
Yes, yes, I know this @26 horses, but I am asking to restore my previous state which was that firefox did not autoplay videos at all unless I clicked on them to start them. Now they play automatically, but as of this afternoon, thank the gods there is no sound. I just don't want to see the videos in motion at all unless I choose to... like I was able to do until recently. Feh!  :P

Ever wonder why and how this happened?

Well:

https://www.techspot.com/news/79672-google-accused-sabotaging-firefox-again.html

Nightingale says that while Google’s individual workers believed both companies were on the same side, the organization itself didn't see things that way.
"Google Chrome ads started appearing next to Firefox search terms. Gmail & [Google] Docs started to experience selective performance issues and bugs on Firefox. Demo sites would falsely block Firefox as 'incompatible'," he said.
"All of this is stuff you're allowed to do to compete, of course. But we were still a search partner, so we'd say 'hey what gives?' And every time, they'd say, 'oops. That was accidental. We'll fix it in the next push in 2 weeks.'”
These so-called accidents happened hundreds of times, and Nightingale doesn’t believe Google is so incompetent as to keep making mistakes. Each time one of these issues arose, Firefox lost users to Chrome.
I think they were running out the clock. We lost users during every oops. And we spent effort and frustration every clock tick on that instead of improving our product. We got outfoxed for a while and by the time we started calling it what it was, a lot of damage had been done.
— Johnathan Nightingale (@johnath) April 13, 2019

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
Ever wonder why and how this happened?

Well:

https://www.techspot.com/news/79672-google-accused-sabotaging-firefox-again.html

Nightingale says that while Google’s individual workers believed both companies were on the same side, the organization itself didn't see things that way.
"Google Chrome ads started appearing next to Firefox search terms. Gmail & [Google] Docs started to experience selective performance issues and bugs on Firefox. Demo sites would falsely block Firefox as 'incompatible'," he said.
"All of this is stuff you're allowed to do to compete, of course. But we were still a search partner, so we'd say 'hey what gives?' And every time, they'd say, 'oops. That was accidental. We'll fix it in the next push in 2 weeks.'”
These so-called accidents happened hundreds of times, and Nightingale doesn’t believe Google is so incompetent as to keep making mistakes. Each time one of these issues arose, Firefox lost users to Chrome.
I think they were running out the clock. We lost users during every oops. And we spent effort and frustration every clock tick on that instead of improving our product. We got outfoxed for a while and by the time we started calling it what it was, a lot of damage had been done.
— Johnathan Nightingale (@johnath) April 13, 2019

Well, thanks to you for this info, and a pox on them all for putting themselves first and not their "customers!" Idealistic, I know, but there you are.  :-\  +1

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 12:56:12 AM »
I gave up on that in MS Edge.  It would revert back to autoplay all the time.  I'm in I.E.11 now.  We'll see.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 01:03:42 AM »
I gave up on that in MS Edge.  It would revert back to autoplay all the time.  I'm in I.E.11 now.  We'll see.

Just use chrome
Are we having fun yet?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 01:22:59 AM »
Just use chrome
Thanks for the reminder.  Haven't had this device very long and had to do a factory reset.  Okay, done.  Wow.  That went fast.  Win some, lose some  :).

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »
Thanks for the reminder.  Haven't had this device very long and had to do a factory reset.  Okay, done.  Wow.  That went fast.  Win some, lose some  :).
After 8 hours, Chrome still had not finished clearing browsing data.  Weird.  I've only browsed with it for a few days, couldn't have been that much data.  People are saying uninstall & re-install it.  Whew.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 03:00:19 AM »
Chrome stops playing videos in midstream.  But IE plays them fine.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 04:00:59 AM »
I really want to clear my browsing history in Chrome on W10.  But it won't do it.