Author Topic: Hurricane Florence  (Read 22847 times)

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
Re: Hurricane Florence
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2018, 01:03:07 AM »
Florence will be dropping in uninvited for the weekend.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2018, 04:35:11 AM »
We’re seeing more false narratives from the media. While a category one hurricane, especially a slow moving one, is serious, it is not the same thing as a category four as the TV people are saying.
Merry Christmas

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2018, 04:40:54 AM »
We’re seeing more false narratives from the media. While a category one hurricane, especially a slow moving one, is serious, it is not the same thing as a category four as the TV people are saying.

I saw one article that said Cat 1 storm, Cat 5 rains and Cat 4 storm surge.

Trying to use a windspeed scale to measure rain and tides is ridiculous.

TS Harvey dumped over 50” of rain on me last year as it sat over us for 5 days. What category was that?
Are we having fun yet?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »
I saw one article that said Cat 1 storm, Cat 5 rains and Cat 4 storm surge.

Trying to use a windspeed scale to measure rain and tides is ridiculous.

TS Harvey dumped over 50” of rain on me last year as it sat over us for 5 days. What category was that?
Flooding always does more damage than winds. A hurricane is like a war. The winds are the first attack wave knocking out infrastructure. The second wave is the flooding waters that cause the most widespread damage and can linger long after the winds have subsided.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2018, 08:16:17 AM »
Flooding always does more damage than winds. A hurricane is like a war. The winds are the first attack wave knocking out infrastructure. The second wave is the flooding waters that cause the most widespread damage and can linger long after the winds have subsided.

You do realize you are talking to the guy that has been flooded in since Monday night?

Fun fact: Even though I have lived on the gulf coast this time since 1982, until last summer (Harvey) I had experienced more rain days from hurricanes while working at the NASA center in WV than I had here.

Storms from the east coast and the gulf coast seem to aim for Fairmont, WV after they move on shore.
Are we having fun yet?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »
You do realize you are talking to the guy that has been flooded in since Monday night?

Fun fact: Even though I have lived on the gulf coast this time since 1982, until last summer (Harvey) I had experienced more rain days from hurricanes while working at the NASA center in WV than I had here.

Storms from the east coast and the gulf coast seem to aim for Fairmont, WV after they move on shore.
Hoping the flooding there subsides soon. As a native Florida resident and having been through many hurricanes and tropical storms, these slow moving storms are the worst due to the massive rains. Years ago, we had a lot of flooding from a tropical storm that stayed around for days. The maximum winds were "only" in the 50 to 60mph range. We were house hunting at the time and that is an excellent time to go around and see what neighborhoods were dry and which ones had standing water so you could see what the flooding potential was.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2018, 08:43:51 AM »
Hoping the flooding there subsides soon. As a native Florida resident and having been through many hurricanes and tropical storms, these slow moving storms are the worst due to the massive rains. Years ago, we had a lot of flooding from a tropical storm that stayed around for days. The maximum winds were "only" in the 50 to 60mph range. We were house hunting at the time and that is an excellent time to go around and see what neighborhoods were dry and which ones had standing water so you could see what the flooding potential was.

I am house sitting in a house on a bayou about 2 miles upstream from Galveston bay. It is on stilts. Last year during Harvey there was 8’ of water under the house. That amounts to about 14’ above normal high tide. Ike did the same thing. Monday night/Tuesday morning there was about 4 inches downstairs. It has receded about 2’ but the rain keeps coming so I expect the water to come back up sometime before it is over.

I live about 6 miles from here and while my house is about a mile from the water it has never gotten into the house. Last year during the height of Harvey it got up to the front step. I was a tad nervous. Since it went through Ike and every other storm fine I figured there wouldn’t be a problem.

Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
I am house sitting in a house on a bayou about 2 miles upstream from Galveston bay. It is on stilts. Last year during Harvey there was 8’ of water under the house. That amounts to about 14’ above normal high tide. Ike did the same thing. Monday night/Tuesday morning there was about 4 inches downstairs. It has receded about 2’ but the rain keeps coming so I expect the water to come back up sometime before it is over.

I live about 6 miles from here and while my house is about a mile from the water it has never gotten into the house. Last year during the height of Harvey it got up to the front step. I was a tad nervous. Since it went through Ike and every other storm fine I figured there wouldn’t be a problem.

You stayed dry thru 4 feet of rain?   Kept that house man!

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »

That is a lot of water. Do you have an escape plan in case the waters rise too much or there is structural damage to the house you are house sitting? I would think that your other house would be ok if it survived the historic flooding of Harvey.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »
That is a lot of water. Do you have an escape plan in case the waters rise too much or there is structural damage to the house you are house sitting? I would think that your other house would be ok if it survived the historic flooding of Harvey.

There is no storm surge expected here so my plan is just to monitor it until the water comes back under the house or the electricity goes off. I have waded into and out of this house so many times I know where to walk to keep it less than waist deep. As a worst case scenario I have an inflated kayak tied off downstairs.

I will probably lock it up and head out just before dark. I’m running low on food and haven’t had caffeine since Tuesday.
Are we having fun yet?

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
There is no storm surge expected here so my plan is just to monitor it until the water comes back under the house or the electricity goes off. I have waded into and out of this house so many times I know where to walk to keep it less than waist deep. As a worst case scenario I have an inflated kayak tied off downstairs.

I will probably lock it up and head out just before dark. I’m running low on food and haven’t had caffeine since Tuesday.

Keep an eye on Tropical Depression Isaac.  Looks like it might be coming up your way.
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2018, 09:18:10 AM »
Keep an eye on Tropical Depression Isaac.  Looks like it might be coming up your way.

Yep. I have been watching that one too. Hopefully it will stay south and go towards Brownsville.
Are we having fun yet?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2018, 09:54:49 AM »

Thank goodness you still have electricity. In the pre-generator days, no electricity after a storm for days (or weeks for some) made things much worse, especially with the heat and humidity here. Stay safe...

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
It was just reported that a mother and 8 month old child were killed when a tree fell on their house in Wilmington :'( One family member survived. Lester Holt and NBC news was riding with the first responders who were there and you could see in the video the sadness of those first responders on the scene. Praise for all the first responders braving the storm and helping those in need.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2018, 01:28:27 PM »
It looks like the folks in New Bern are really getting it. The Neuse River is already flooding. The river runs up towards Raleigh, so it will continue to fill with rain and will continue to flood.
Merry Christmas