Poll

This is a real scenario.  Regarding the salutation, "Have a nice day", GD believes

It is polite.
0 (0%)
It is too commanding.
0 (0%)
It is juvenile.
0 (0%)
No one actually means it.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 28, 2019, 01:49:27 AM

Author Topic: Living With Grandma's Daughter  (Read 25414 times)

Dateline

• Drone Pilot
Re: Living With Grandma's Daughter
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2019, 06:35:14 AM »
Happy Belated Birthday, I hope it was also a Good Friday.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2019, 10:59:57 AM »
And another belated Happy B-Day Sofiawolf, be well, and find your OWN space - you deserve it!

;D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2019, 09:34:38 PM »
Happy Belated Birthday! 🎂🎉
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2019, 06:50:46 PM »
Wasn't expecting that  :D.  Like a surprise party.

I am overwhelmed with cute, adorable and ironic - Thanks for the wishes over my birthday and Good Friday.  It was a good weekend, and Western Catholics are once again allowed to say Alleluia until next Good Friday.  I think belated wishes are a great reminder that in a sense, every living day is a birthday.

KSM, I'm going to get my own rolling chair!!  Very soon. 

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2019, 07:09:03 PM »

KSM, I'm going to get my own rolling chair!!  Very soon.
@Sofia Ahh, so you'll need a nice new desk!

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2019, 08:13:40 PM »
@Sofia Ahh, so you'll need a nice new desk!
Actually, the plan changed.  I shopped everywhere & no one had a cheap, armless one.  Even online.  Weird.  But just when I didn't know what to do, one of GD's lawn chairs is working out great.  I'll keep my eye out for a rolling chair, but in the meanwhile I'm fine.  No desk necessary  ;).

I really like those ergonomic kneeling "chairs".  A friend used to have one & it felt great.  But I wouldn't be able to bring one here.  Other than food, soap & cleaning supplies, GD thinks I should not so much as buy a spool of thread until I can afford $650 a month and of course, first, last, & deposit.  Someone gave me an exercise bike & she made me prove I didn't pay for it.

My company lost 4 clients & my client deceased (it was expected but sad).  I think I'm going to have to work for a facility where if one client passes away, there are still other clients to care for, because I was working almost 50 hours a week but now I haven't had any work since the 16th.  I am considering applying for unemployment, but my employer will find out & I wonder what they will think.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2019, 08:27:02 PM »
Actually, the plan changed.  I shopped everywhere & no one had a cheap, armless one.  Even online.  Weird.  But just when I didn't know what to do, one of GD's lawn chairs is working out great.  I'll keep my eye out for a rolling chair, but in the meanwhile I'm fine.  No desk necessary  ;).

I really like those ergonomic kneeling "chairs".  A friend used to have one & it felt great.  But I wouldn't be able to bring one here.  Other than food, soap & cleaning supplies, GD thinks I should not so much as buy a spool of thread until I can afford $650 a month and of course, first, last, & deposit.  Someone gave me an exercise bike & she made me prove I didn't pay for it.

My company lost 4 clients & my client deceased (it was expected but sad).  I think I'm going to have to work for a facility where if one client passes away, there are still other clients to care for, because I was working almost 50 hours a week but now I haven't had any work since the 16th.  I am considering applying for unemployment, but my employer will find out & I wonder what they will think.

I found these to be the best office chair and they really help build up your core muscles. The ones without a back are even cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Classic-Balance-Ball-Chair/dp/B0007VB4NE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=gaiam+ball+chair&qid=1556249116&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Classic-Backless-Balance-Chair/dp/B0102UUH0U/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=gaiam+ball+chair&qid=1556249289&s=gateway&sr=8-4
Are we having fun yet?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »
She's a rager.  I long for the day when she's just screamin', & someone comes to the door who overhears her.  That would make my day.

Once every couple months, I clean house for the longtime "house cleaner" who comes in & does a thorough job dusting up high, polishing glass, and vacuuming, including underneath most of the furniture (not the couch or entertainment shelves of course).  So, I cleaned house like I always do,  the lady came today.  GD has been on a spiral down, & was not at her best.  The cleaner was almost able to finish her shift, but did leave before the shift ended due to dizziness.  Was it real dizziness?  Or, was it because GD had started to ask to much heavy work of her after she'd already cleaned the house for 3 hours?  Or maybe because GD had been a little rude at one point?  Or, possibly because GD refused to let the lady use my professional glass cleaner like usual, but insisted she wash the glass tables with vinegar water?  We may never know why the lady got dizzy.  But I wouldn't blame the lady for bailing.  When the lady got dizzy, GD didn't even offer her the bed, even though they were working in the bedroom at the time.  The poor thing layed on the floor.  I hope she is okay.  She is usually a wonderful ray of sunshine & she's overcome cancer the hard way in years past.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2019, 08:30:28 PM »
I found these to be the best office chair and they really help build up your core muscles. The ones without a back are even cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Classic-Balance-Ball-Chair/dp/B0007VB4NE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=gaiam+ball+chair&qid=1556249116&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Classic-Backless-Balance-Chair/dp/B0102UUH0U/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=gaiam+ball+chair&qid=1556249289&s=gateway&sr=8-4
"Gives energy" - Yes, I would imagine so.  Remember these?

A good-sized ball like the one you pictured also makes a great foot or leg rest, especially if you put it in a box so it doesn't roll.   Pretty darn comfortable!  I haven't had one lately but thanks for the reminder - it would have multiple uses, as they are good for physical therapy.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »
"Gives energy" - Yes, I would imagine so.  Remember these?

Yep. I have three of those chairs. I used them at home and in my office. It takes a few days to get used to but they really work well.
Are we having fun yet?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2019, 08:38:10 PM »
Yep. I have three of those chairs. I used them at home and in my office. It takes a few days to get used to but they really work well.
Plastic doesn't breathe very well so for females, I suggest throwing a couple towels over the part sat on...  I remember sitting on one that I had for a long time.  It's pretty good.  My legs on the ground kept it from moving, and they come in different sizes.  I think mine was a medium one.  However, the larger ones are actually easier on the spine like for physical therapy because they have a larger circumference.  Stretching over a small one would be a tighter stretch.  It's my naptime.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2019, 08:58:24 PM »
@Sofia Are you able to work in an old folks home situation where the work kind of... renews itself, if you know what I mean. These jobs have benefits and usually all the perks. Definitely steady work once you're in.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2019, 12:27:09 AM »
@Sofia Are you able to work in an old folks home situation where the work kind of... renews itself, if you know what I mean. These jobs have benefits and usually all the perks. Definitely steady work once you're in.
That dawned on me, too.  I mean, the agency has 200 of us and they promised sufficient work.  But, it hasn't come true at all.  Plus they made me work 15 hours in a row once, & frequently want 12 hours in a row, which is kind of obscene (and disruptive to my loved ones/my health regimens) considering I haven't even averaged 30 hours/week.  I mean if they want me to work doubles, as long as I'm full time I would consider it if I had to.  But, don't ask me to work doubles & then not give me any work.  So, they are either exploiting us horribly or they aren't very well managed.

Okay, here goes.  Retirement home #1 canned a lot of us after they got a new CEO who "wanted to bring in her own people".  I'd only been there 2 weeks & was loving it.

Retirement home #2 could not find a uniform which would go around my bustline (This is not a joke).  They told me I'd have to find my own in that particular color.  I was not able to, so they didn't have any work for me.

Retirement home #3 had problems of a sexual nature, like male employees using keys to barging into locked residences of elderly females without knocking first.  Like, front desk employees actually opening & reading residents' mail if the mail was from a sexual aid company (It was against policy to read residents' mail).  And laughing & saying the names of which residents' ordered them loudly, even where the public could here.  One of my jobs as receptionist was NOT to give master key copies to any employee for any unit UNLESS it was vacated.  But other receptionists kept doing it & my trainer didn't want to explain to me how to make sure a unit was vacated.  I should have gone over her head, but instead I point blank told her that we all know residents are sexual, because we'd all been joking about the catalogs they order, so what if maintenance barged in on a lady who was engaged in sexual behavior?  Finally, she showed me the process (which would be my JOB) to do to make sure a unit was vacated before handing over the master keys.  She acted really put out at having to teach me that.  She maintained that it really didn't matter.  For that question, for portraying residents as potentially sexual, I was fired.  Obviously that job not on my resume.  At the time I was fired, Human Resources told me they were also letting me go because I am allergic to eggs, which meant that I had to have (and did have) a blood draw to be tested for tuberculosis instead of the regular injection.  It had cost the company $150 extra (and caused me a LOT of run-around, but I never complained).  I'm sure I have a case there, but it would be her word against mine.

Retirement home #4 had to let care givers/hospitality aids go after the state found out the facility didn't have enough CNAs on duty.  I had been there 2 weeks.  I am eligible for re-hire.

I realize these crazy, short terms of employment are no reason to quit trying.  So yes, I will continue to try to see which facilities might be a good fit for me.

There are things to consider when choosing to work at a facility.  At one facility, I met a resident who became paralyzed the day she got a flu shot.  In 2018.  Being paralyzed is so serious.  If a paralyzed person has asthma or hypoglycemia or whatever...  they are totally dependent on a nurse's aid for their survival.  This particular woman did not have asthma or hypoglycemia or whatever.  But, she did have high blood pressure.  When you are in a facility, you don't get a "medi-pack" to use for your daily pills, not even for high blood pressure pills.  You are totally dependent on the staff to give you your daily pill, and hopefully on time.  One day, the facility was very late in delivering her blood pressure medicine or checking her blood pressure.  Her husband found out that her blood pressure that day was in the heart attack range.  She wasn't that old.  Her husband worked full time & after work every day spent hours with her.  Anyhow, she survived medical negligence, but she was paralyzed just from the flu shot.  She was in the facility a long time, eventually progressing to being able to sit in a wheel chair.  I hope she learned to walk again, but by then I was no longer employed.  She & her husband were two of the nicest people I have ever met.

Working in some facilities, like the one above, requires the flu shot every year.  They say you can opt to wear a mask, but they lose funding from Medicare if you opt out, so anyone who opts out is a pariah & treated poorly by management.  Since I had only been there a short time, I had not yet received the flu shot.  Which is a paralysis risk (I'm sure it says so right in the packaging, but we don't see the packaging, only the nurse does).

So, an applicant needs to think seriously about what type of facility that are comfortable working in, considering what immunizations are required.

Along related lines, children all across America are becoming paralyzed by a condition called acute flaccid myelitis (AFM).  The paralysis disrupts their families, their childhood, & their health.  They have to stay in medical facilities to recover, & anytime you stay in a medical facility, you risk dying of negligence or malpractise.  Medical professional error are THE leading cause of death in the United States.  Anyhow, paralysis is a very serious, growing issue.  I believe that these cases are clearly caused by the flu shot.  I also believe the Associated Press is negligent in not confronting the Center for Disease Control about it.

I've read articles about AFM and Guillan Barre Syndrome, and experts believe they are related.  Guillan Barre Syndrome is what paralyzed the lady I met in a facility, who became paralyzed the day she received a flu shot.  Anyhow, I believe the mainstream media has been acting like these are two different diseases, but I've read expert articles that state that the symptoms of AFM are caused by the same bodily problem as the symptoms of Guillan Barre Syndrome, which therefore (to me) draws a connection between AFM and flu shots.  Besides, who do we know that gets flu shots?  Children.  And who is being paralyzed?  Children.

If you research AFM, remember it is only half the picture.  The statistics on AFM do not include the statistics on Guillan Barre Sundrome.  Yet the two conditions may have the same cause & to me, effectively are the same disease.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2019, 01:53:21 AM »
Another thing to consider when applying to facilities is their pet policy.  At facility #5, dogs were allowed.  It was an addiction recovery facility.   Pitbulls were common.  They were frequently off leash and would come right up to you.  Many positions were being eliminated under a new CEO.  On my last day, a male patient, through no fault of his own, was almost killed by one that belonged to a patient's visiting family. 

I don't know of any facility which allows dogs but does aptitude testing.  I had mentioned concerns about dog aggression, but the manager in charge tried to label me a dog hater.  Of course, she ended up with egg on her face, as I love dogs.  Anyhow, the point is, most people don't recognize subtle aggression in dogs and because of it, managements just let in any dogs.  The dog who almost killed that patient was found to have a formal criminal record of aggression which its owners knew.

The nearest retirement home to me told me they allow any dogs and they do not aptitude test any. I wanted to apply, but I've seen guard dog breeds over there, like PB's.  And, owners let them out of vehicles before leashing up.  Too bad, because the place would be very convenient.

These types of concerns are impossible to ask during the hiring process.  I usually make an anonymous phone inquiry at the lowest possible level.  Reading reviews can help.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2019, 07:54:02 AM »
Sofiawolf you are a wellspring of information any aging person ought to know but is terrified of knowing!

To wit - this article on how the aging and temporarily inform are LOOTED of there assets by the guardianship, a state-sponsored industry:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights

How the Elderly Lose Their Rights
Guardians can sell the assets and control the lives of senior citizens without their consent—and reap a profit from it.

By Rachel AvivOctober 2, 2017

XXXXXX!!!!WARNING!!!XXXXXXXXXXXX

This should be read by elders AND their children before the looting progresses into the court system!