Author Topic: Space Collectables  (Read 3684 times)

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
Space Collectables
« on: July 14, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »
There may be a few here that collect memorabilia and flown items from various space programs. Of course there are the typical patches, pins, autographs and models and many sites in existence that cover this realm more extensively.

I collect space flown and flown type items. (The type you see floating about the cabin on a shuttle mission, for instance) A few favorites are grouped below. They include the Grid 1530 Laptop, STS-27 Orbit Operations Checklist, and the HP-41CV calculator. (All in use in 1988) The Gold clip on the checklist is directly from the manufacturer. The timer and clip flew by the dozens on just about every shuttle mission there was and are still used on the ISS today. The Swiss Army Knife (off to the right) is a limited edition produced for NASA with a small batch made for the public and is now discontinued.

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
Re: Space Collectables
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 03:37:24 AM »
There may be a few here that collect memorabilia and flown items from various space programs. Of course there are the typical patches, pins, autographs and models and many sites in existence that cover this realm more extensively.

I collect space flown and flown type items. (The type you see floating about the cabin on a shuttle mission, for instance) A few favorites are grouped below. They include the Grid 1530 Laptop, STS-27 Orbit Operations Checklist, and the HP-41CV calculator. (All in use in 1988) The Gold clip on the checklist is directly from the manufacturer. The timer and clip flew by the dozens on just about every shuttle mission there was and are still used on the ISS today. The Swiss Army Knife (off to the right) is a limited edition produced for NASA with a small batch made for the public and is now discontinued.

Those are amazing, how did you get hold of them?
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

Adam Baum

• KNYE
  • Nemo me impune lacessit
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
Exceedingly cool!!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 11:51:25 AM »
Neat Dyna, back story please? :D

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
Those are amazing, how did you get hold of them?

Exceedingly cool!!

Neat Dyna, back story please? :D

Thanks! It took a lot of persistent research and FOIA requests, high resolution photos and other tips from collectors in that world find out exactly what makes and models of things were in use up there. Auctions, trades and ebay, of course. I used the HP41CV calculator in high school and college and it still works today. (and go for about 3 times what they sold for in 1985 on ebay) The Grid laptops are fortunately cheaper, but exceedingly rare...maybe one or two a year on ebay or space auction sights in a good year.

There is a sense of continuity when you dig into obscurities of the space missions. There are subtleties the nitwit NASA fake whistleblowers will never grasp when they talk about shuttles "hauling gold from a space station" or other nonsense. They will be on the radio and you will have artifacts and documents on your desk from said missions and be sitting there laughing derisively at the borderline treasonous bastards. The documentation shows everything from the engineering cycle in action to the serial numbers of various parts. And you get to know real people that worked with these programs along the way. That is just a "spinoff" of being a space cadet, LOL.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »
Great back story, and a true "collectible" for sure.

I've seen some other cool Apollo program stuff at the somewhat underwhelming Challenger Space Center "museum" in Arizona:

http://www.azchallenger.org

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Huh, well it was spare when I last visited 2 years ago, looks like it's out of order now...what a shame:

Due to limited space at our temporary location the museum portion will be closed until further notice. We will still be offering field trip programs as well as our ADVENTURES IN SPACE SUMMER CAMP.

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 02:54:57 PM »
Great back story, and a true "collectible" for sure.

I've seen some other cool Apollo program stuff at the somewhat underwhelming Challenger Space Center "museum" in Arizona:

http://www.azchallenger.org

Huh, well it was spare when I last visited 2 years ago, looks like it's out of order now...what a shame:

Due to limited space at our temporary location the museum portion will be closed until further notice. We will still be offering field trip programs as well as our ADVENTURES IN SPACE SUMMER CAMP.

There are dozens of small centers of this type and while they have always been on kind of a shoestring, the last few years have been particularly bad. Perhaps there will be revitalized interest with the rebirth of the National Space Council.

A big issue in NASA's educational outreach is disconnect in talking about their own programs in the abstract and in the driest of terms. I've always thought if they brought in more real hardware mockups and documentation it would give the youngsters something to sink their teeth into. Teaching spaceflight up close and personal  could generate the interest in science and STEM and not vice versa.

It does not matter if such technology is old, a understanding the engineering behind a Gemini or Apollo spacecraft will teach all the basic principles. Check this site out - it is a catalyst for future computer nerds and space engineers :)
https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 03:14:48 PM »
Thanks for that link, bookmarked and I will digest it later!

I bet that when Musk parks something on Mars that we'll be seeing a lot of kids going to Camp Gattica, eh?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 06:26:03 PM »

very cool 8)