Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 8140 times)

PB

• Ellevated
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2022, 05:04:31 PM »
Argentina lost their opener to Cameroon 1 to nil at the 1990 World Cup.  Despite the loss, the team would advance to the final where they lost to West Germany, 1 to nil.  Diego Maradona was on the team, not that it made any difference.  Every time he got the ball, opposing players would kick him in the shins and he would fall to the ground, clutching them in pain.   

I think that's known as flopping.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2022, 08:39:11 PM »
Argentina lost their opener to Cameroon 1 to nil at the 1990 World Cup.  Despite the loss, the team would advance to the final where they lost to West Germany, 1 to nil.  Diego Maradona was on the team, not that it made any difference.  Every time he got the ball, opposing players would kick him in the shins and he would fall to the ground, clutching them in pain.   

The only two things I remember about that Cup was that it was in Italy and Team USA was garbage.

Now I expect Mr. Wyngarde to chime in and say "When weren't they?"  ;)

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2022, 08:42:57 PM »

The third one was the best.  ;D 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2022, 10:11:38 PM »
France 4 - Australia 1

This was the best game of the day.  The final score should have been something like 7 to 3, but the football gods decreed otherwise.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2022, 05:06:35 AM »

Cheating little weasel deserved all he got. #HandofGodMyArse

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2022, 05:08:11 AM »

That's what she said. Actually it's called diving #ThesePeopleDon'tKnowAnything.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2022, 05:11:36 AM »
The only two things I remember about that Cup was that it was in Italy and Team USA was garbage.

Now I expect Mr. Wyngarde to chime in and say "When weren't they?"  ;)

I'm trying to dial back the banter until game day, when we will chainsaw our way through your feeble defence.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2022, 05:16:52 AM »
 ::)
France 4 - Australia 1

This was the best game of the day.  The final score should have been something like 7 to 3, but the football gods decreed otherwise.

One of those games where you wish both teams would lose, or at least a brutal 0-0 with multiple homicides on both sides.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2022, 08:19:22 AM »
Ach, das kann nicht sein! Poor old Walks must be weeping into his Bierstein, the Krauts have lost to the Japs and a bloody good thing too. Germans are really just Americans in disguise anyway and therefore all the more reason to celebrate their slaying today.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2022, 01:57:05 PM »
Wow even though I picked Canada to finish second (Even though it was more out of N. American loyalty) I didn't expect them to look that good vs. Belgium.  But yikes do they have no finishers at all, sure Belgium the strongest team in the group but I don't see any of those guys actually scoring. I am super happy for Japan, even though I didn't pick them in the top 2 they might be my Cinderella team

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2022, 02:35:24 PM »
Wow even though I picked Canada to finish second (Even though it was more out of N. American loyalty) I didn't expect them to look that good vs. Belgium.  But yikes do they have no finishers at all, sure Belgium the strongest team in the group but I don't see any of those guys actually scoring. I am super happy for Japan, even though I didn't pick them in the top 2 they might be my Cinderella team

Canada's Jonathan David, Cyle Larin, and Alphonso Davies can finish.  Especially David.  22 goals in 36 games in the French Ligue 1.   It seems the midfielders are not able to push the ball and are more focused on preventing the other team from scoring.  They need a play maker in that midfield for sure.  I think they run with a 4 4 2 scheme but use two middle infielders set back in a defensive position.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2022, 05:40:44 PM »
That's what she said. Actually it's called diving #ThesePeopleDon'tKnowAnything.

Diving?  Where's the pool?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2022, 01:12:47 AM »
I was watching the Croatia, Morocco game when I got to see the following.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A Moroccan player was working the ball.

He hopped over the ball in an effort to change direction and move it past his opponent.

All went according to plan.

Except for one minor detail.  He left the ball behind.

Much to the Croation player's delight.

The commentators had quite a laugh over it and even the ref couldn't hide a look of amusement.
(Click on pictures for larger images.)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2022, 11:54:27 PM »
Uruguay Nil - South Korea Nil

Luis Suárez?  Why is the song Old Man River running through my head?

Portugal 3 - Ghana 2

Ronaldo, "Please God, let me make this penalty shot."  His prayer was answered.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
Re: World Cup 'Anally Violating Uncle Sam' Edition 2022
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2022, 05:35:13 AM »

Greetings, my American friends. I'm sure you are all googling 'how to cope with severe rectal trauma' at the moment, and I don't want to interrupt what must be some laborious and painstaking study, but I would like to say 'may the best team win', namely us. You've no business playing this game anyway, as I alluded to several days ago. We invented it, and I firmly expect you young scallywags to be given the good old '50 lashes, trousers down' treatment later today. So I hope this lesson will be the needed impetus to send you back to your...whatever is you do that nobody else cares about. That thing that is a bit like rugby, only they all dress themselves up like girls because they don't want to hurt themselves, poor angels. That, whatever it is, stick to that and we can all be left in peace.