Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 8310 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
World Cup 2022
« on: November 10, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »
It starts November 20th.  Anybody interested?  I think @Rikki Gins might be.

I'm very curious how the the youngsters on Team USA perform.  It's a new era and not much veteran leadership on the team.  There are a few guys over 28 but most are in (average) early 20's. The veterans they do have don't have the WC appearances that previous player did.  Tim Ream will probably be someone to keep things centered.

I'm still not a fan of Gregg Berhalter as coach.  Our young talent like Christian Pulisic, Sergino Dest, Yunus Musah, Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, Giovanni Reyna (son of Team USA star Claudio Reyna), among others could keep it interesting.

Not sure why John Brooks wasn't added to the roster.  Quality center back.

Our group is not easy with England, Wales, and Iran.  I do have a feeling we can get out of the group and into the knockout stage.  I think England will disappoint.

We shall see...

Fun fact~ Gregg Berhalter will become the first person to represent USA at the FIFA World Cup as both a player and manager.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ernest Fox Nichols
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 01:01:21 PM »
It starts November 20th.  Anybody interested?  I think @Rikki Gins might be.

I'm very curious how the the youngsters on Team USA perform.  It's a new era and not much veteran leadership on the team.  There are a few guys over 28 but most are in (average) early 20's. The veterans they do have don't have the WC appearances that previous player did.  Tim Ream will probably be someone to keep things centered.

I'm still not a fan of Gregg Berhalter as coach.  Our young talent like Christian Pulisic, Sergino Dest, Yunus Musah, Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, Giovanni Reyna (son of Team USA star Claudio Reyna), among others could keep it interesting.

Not sure why John Brooks wasn't added to the roster.  Quality center back.

Our group is not easy with England, Wales, and Iran.  I do have a feeling we can get out of the group and into the knockout stage.  I think England will disappoint.

We shall see...

Fun fact~ Gregg Berhalter will become the first person to represent USA at the FIFA World Cup as both a player and manager.

I'm in!  Though I must admit, I haven't followed any of the teams since the last World Cup competition when I came really close to guessing the winning teams.  I would like to see England make it to the finals, (still a big Harry Kane fan, and would you believe it, chosen for the present team at 29 years of age.) plus France and Germany, also the Netherlands or Denmark.  I would like to see another European team win the cup, because to me. football lives and breaths Europe.  I never give much hope to Team USA and haven't for the last five world cup competitions.

I don't know where I saw it, but there was an ad for a world cup package where one can view all of the games.  I'm up for that if it isn't too expensive.  I recently subscribed to the NFL channel and get some Sunday games and also Monday and Thursday night football for under $5.00 per month.  If the World Cup deal is anything like that, I'll go for it, and keep this thread alive and well for the duration.  Thanks for starting it up, @ShayP.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 02:17:08 PM »
Thank you @RikkiGins for joining in the discussion.  It may be just the two of us.  The WC lonely hearts club.  ;D

I haven't followed much since the USA lost the qualifying to Trinidad and Tobago.  UGH.  >:(

I think Tubi is going to a free on-demand thing.  Essentially you can watch the matches a day after they are played.  FOX is airing the games.  There are others.  You are always on top of things so I have no doubt you'll find a good option.   ;)

I like Harry Kane.  Gareth Bale (Wales) is one of my favorites.  There are a few.  Most though are in the past.  Clint Dempsey (USA) <--FAVORITE, Roy Keane (Rep. Ireland), Oliver Bierhoff (Germany), Roberto Baggio (Italy)…just to name a few.  It depends on the era.

Aside from all that I am really looking forward what Team USA can do.  I want to see how the youth movement handles the big stage.

CHEERS!  8)

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 03:09:48 PM »
Metric football.
Merry Christmas

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 05:25:15 PM »
Every region plays their own style, I love the way Brazil plays, and they have great, fun-loving fans.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 05:26:48 PM »
My very first introduction to a little-known website called YouTube was the day after the final when ZZ did that head-butt and got kicked out of his final game (the second video I watched moments later was ''the play'' when Cal beat Elway and Stanford when the band ran onto the field, the third was the Zapruder film... then it was back to work).

I heartily approved ZZ, trash talking is ghetto.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 07:23:31 PM »
My very first introduction to a little-known website called YouTube was the day after the final when ZZ did that head-butt and got kicked out of his final game (the second video I watched moments later was ''the play'' when Cal beat Elway and Stanford when the band ran onto the field, the third was the Zapruder film... then it was back to work).

I heartily approved ZZ, trash talking is ghetto.

Interesting triad of videos.  :D

Regarding ZZ.  Didn't the opponent say something vulgar about ZZ's mom or sister?  Can't recall.  I do remember the player acting like he'd been blasted by a shotgun.  So dramatic.  ;D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 07:24:27 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 07:40:22 PM »
Every region plays their own style, I love the way Brazil plays, and they have great, fun-loving fans.

Hard to believe it's been 20 years since they last won the WC.  I think they are favored to win it this year.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 08:11:03 PM »
I used to give WC futbol a chance.

Corrupt like the Olympics. Meh.
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 08:21:51 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's interesting England, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland all have their own teams, instead of one team from the UK.  I looked it up at some point and they wanted their own separate teams and it was agreed upon early on.

I don't get why Wales and England are in the same group.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 11:48:01 PM »
My picks for group play.

A. - Netherlands
B. - England
C. - Argentina
D. - France
E. - Germany
F. - Croatia
G. - Brazil
H. - Portugal

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 07:02:12 AM »
I don't get why Wales and England are in the same group.

I think the top 7 ranked teams who made it through qualifying, along with the host country, are each assigned to a group as a number one seed.  Then the rest are put into 3 different categories based on rank, then they are picked randomly.  Sort of like picking a name out of a hat.  It's sort of complicated and I never quite understood the process.  I think there's some formula involved as well.

That being said, I guess Wales and England in the same group was by chance.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 09:05:08 AM »
My picks to finish first in group play.

A. - Netherlands
B. - Wales
C. - Argentina
D. - France
E. - Germany
F. - Belgium
G. - Brazil
H. - Uruguay

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 01:29:29 PM »
I think the top 7 ranked teams who made it through qualifying, along with the host country, are each assigned to a group as a number one seed.  Then the rest are put into 3 different categories based on rank, then they are picked randomly.  Sort of like picking a name out of a hat.  It's sort of complicated and I never quite understood the process.  I think there's some formula involved as well.

That being said, I guess Wales and England in the same group was by chance.

Italy must have got bumped off during the qualifying rounds.  I remember the last time they won the cup there was a big scandal over something, not sure what.  One of the players or owners tried to commit suicide.  Not sure if he succeeded or not.  Anyway, too bad there wasn't another scandal, the team might have won another cup.