Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 8138 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2022, 01:30:25 PM »
My picks to finish first in group play.

A. - Netherlands
B. - Wales
C. - Argentina
D. - France
E. - Germany
F. - Belgium
G. - Brazil
H. - Uruguay

Good picks there, @ShayP.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2022, 08:03:27 PM »
Italy must have got bumped off during the qualifying rounds.  I remember the last time they won the cup there was a big scandal over something, not sure what.  One of the players or owners tried to commit suicide.  Not sure if he succeeded or not.  Anyway, too bad there wasn't another scandal, the team might have won another cup.

@Rikki Gins  Italy was eliminated in the qualifying rounds by....wait for it....

North Macedonia  :o  1 - 0

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2022, 08:05:01 PM »
Good picks there, @ShayP.

Thanks.  I have a feeling that England and Portugal struggle, although they may finish second and advance.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2022, 09:14:54 PM »
@Rikki Gins  Italy was eliminated in the qualifying rounds by....wait for it....

North Macedonia  :o  1 - 0

LOL!!!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2022, 04:19:13 AM »

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2022, 09:30:38 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I will throw in second place in brackets just because we seem to have mostly the same first place team

A- Netherlands (Senegal) I got to pick at least one non American/European team to make it to the next round... so lol
B- USA (England) - Concacaf Upset!!!!
C- Argentina (Poland)
D- France (Denmark)
E- Germany (Spain)
F- Belgium (Canada) - Concacaf 2nd place Upsets!!!
G- Brazil (Switzerland)
H- Portugal (Uruguay)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2022, 12:10:11 PM »
My hat's off to Tubi for showing World Cup Game replays, as it is virtually impossible for me to see live games due to horrid time zone differences.  I had a spot of trouble finding the opening game between Qatar and Ecuador, but when I located it, I was pleased to see that Tubi didn't butcher the game with commercials.  They only played a couple of them at halftime.   

Ecuador II - Qatar Nil.  A good opening game except that the fat lady sang after the first 30 minutes, when Ecuador scored their second, unanswered goal.  Qatar gave it the old college try but had difficulty getting anywhere near Ecuador's keeper.  I liked manager Gustavo Alfaro for Ecuador, as he looked so much like an old school one.  I couldn't warm to Qatar's more youthful manager, Félix Sánchez, who wore a grim look on his face from beginning to end. 

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2022, 05:45:10 PM »
Here's hoping UK hooligans rebel over the lack of alcohol and take over Qatar

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2022, 08:27:32 PM »
What the spectators lack in quantity they make up in girth.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 08:29:50 PM »
I will throw in second place in brackets just because we seem to have mostly the same first place team

A- Netherlands (Senegal) I got to pick at least one non American/European team to make it to the next round... so lol
B- USA (England) - Concacaf Upset!!!!
C- Argentina (Poland)
D- France (Denmark)
E- Germany (Spain)
F- Belgium (Canada) - Concacaf 2nd place Upsets!!!
G- Brazil (Switzerland)
H- Portugal (Uruguay)

I had a feeling you might join the thread.  I'm glad you did. @Zetaspeak

I too will list my second place teams that will advance.

A. - Netherlands (Ecuador ~ I was going to go with Senegal but they lost their star player and the heart of the team.  I think they will be a bit deflated.)
B. - Wales (USA ~ I strongly feel England struggles.  USA makes the round of 16 but goes no further.)
C. - Argentina (Mexico)
D. - France (Australia)
E. - Germany (Spain)
F. - Belgium (Canada ~ There's an energy to that team.  I think they will surprise.)
G. - Brazil (Serbia)
H. - Uruguay (Ghana ~ Like England, my gut tells me Portugal struggles as well so Ghana advances.)

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2022, 12:41:59 AM »
Here are my picks, based solely on who I probably faultily remember generally doing well in the past...

1) Netherlands 2) Senegal
England - Iran
Mexico - Argentina
France - Denmark
Germany - Spain
Croatia - Belgium
Brazil - Serbia
Portugal - Uruguay

When do we get to see the WAGs?

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2022, 05:58:04 AM »
When I become Supreme Overlord of this planet (any day now, my henchmen inform me), one of my first actions will be to ban Americans from discussing football (or 'So-Cher', as you people insist on calling it) or having anything to do with it whatsover. In any way. It gives me the creeps. At any moment, when I watch you trying to play it on TV, I keep expecting you to pick it up, run off with it, and then throw it triumphantly into the ground on the 18 yard box, while dancing around like a 10-year-old girl at her best-friend's birthday party.

Just stop it, 'mkay? You decided to go your own way a long time ago, so you could pretend to be the best in the world at sports nobody else gives a flying flapdoodle about, so I think you should be left to flounder in your own self-created goo and let the rest of us have some peace from you louts for a while.

It makes me so cross!!

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2022, 06:59:42 AM »
When I become Supreme Overlord of this planet (any day now, my henchmen inform me), one of my first actions will be to ban Americans from discussing football (or 'So-Cher', as you people insist on calling it) or having anything to do with it whatsover. In any way. It gives me the creeps. At any moment, when I watch you trying to play it on TV, I keep expecting you to pick it up, run off with it, and then throw it triumphantly into the ground on the 18 yard box, while dancing around like a 10-year-old girl at her best-friend's birthday party.

Just stop it, 'mkay? You decided to go your own way a long time ago, so you could pretend to be the best in the world at sports nobody else gives a flying flapdoodle about, so I think you should be left to flounder in your own self-created goo and let the rest of us have some peace from you louts for a while.

It makes me so cross!!

Ah, there you are.  It took a Fútbol thread to pull you out of the woodwork.  I seem to recall you being critical of the British Comedy thread as well.  I can't remember if it was here or BellGab.  I believe you posted the Alan Partridge Sex People video and said that we didn't deserve it.  I could be wrong.

If I became Supreme Overlord, I would ban the word "flapdoodle."

Lighten up, incessantly comb your moustache, and have a few pints.  Some of us enjoy the sport and are quite knowledgeable.  Oh, by the way, England will not advance out of the group and Gareth Southgate is a git.

Cheers!

nooryisawesome

• Elluminati
  • dont like it, watch another channel and go to hell
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2022, 07:05:59 AM »
People care about soccer?

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2022, 07:09:17 AM »
Oh, by the way, England will not advance out of the group

Cheers!

Yeah, we're off to a terrible start! See what I mean? You people are hopeless.