Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 8144 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2022, 07:31:16 AM »
Yeah, we're off to a terrible start! See what I mean? You people are hopeless.

The Three Lions did indeed destroy Iran.  My crystal ball is a little foggy but those upcoming loses to the US and Wales are going to hurt.

Hopeless?  Well, I do admit I've been feeling a bit inadequate mixed with some degree of despair.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2022, 07:45:52 AM »
The Three Lions did indeed destroy Iran.  My crystal ball is a little foggy but those upcoming loses to the US and Wales are going to hurt.

Hopeless?  Well, I do admit I've been feeling a bit inadequate mixed with some degree of despair.

This is clearly England's year. @Walks_At_Night  sports an impeccable Bobby Charlton combover in acknowledgement of our glorious victory in '66. I don't think any sensible person can deny it. And, yes, it did cross the line! I don't imagine Wales will detain us very long, and the mockery that calls itself the USA will feel the keen edge of the English scimitar.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2022, 08:01:02 AM »
This is clearly England's year. @Walks_At_Night  sports an impeccable Bobby Charlton combover in acknowledgement of our glorious victory in '66. I don't think any sensible person can deny it. And, yes, it did cross the line! I don't imagine Wales will detain us very long, and the mockery that calls itself the USA will feel the keen edge of the English scimitar.

Here in North America where we play sports were one can actually use hands, I model my look after Harold Snepsts.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2022, 10:57:19 AM »
When I become Supreme Overlord of this planet (any day now, my henchmen inform me), one of my first actions will be to ban Americans from discussing football (or 'So-Cher', as you people insist on calling it) or having anything to do with it whatsover. In any way. It gives me the creeps. At any moment, when I watch you trying to play it on TV, I keep expecting you to pick it up, run off with it, and then throw it triumphantly into the ground on the 18 yard box, while dancing around like a 10-year-old girl at her best-friend's birthday party.

Just stop it, 'mkay? You decided to go your own way a long time ago, so you could pretend to be the best in the world at sports nobody else gives a flying flapdoodle about, so I think you should be left to flounder in your own self-created goo and let the rest of us have some peace from you louts for a while.

It makes me so cross!!

Geez, the beer was only cut off 2 hours ago.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2022, 01:34:15 PM »
USA and Wales, a 1-1 draw.  Careless penalty by one of our defenders and Gareth Bale nails the PK.  The keeper made a great effort but the shot was too powerful.

Not happy with the draw, but it is better than a loss.  The team allowed Wales to gain momentum in the second half.  I'm hopeful this is a lesson to them.  They have to finish.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2022, 05:22:16 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2022, 10:31:53 PM »
England 6 - Iran 2
Good for England.  They looked pretty good out there, but then again they were playing a rather weak team, as I'm sure that USA will find out on November 29th.  I hope that England will make it to the end.  I've liked the team ever since my first World Cup back in 1990.  I especially enjoyed watching keeper Peter Shilton.  To say that he was flamboyant, is putting it mildly.  I digress though.  I hope Harry Kane's ankles hold up for the duration.  He gave us a bit of a scare out there.  I learned about the present number of substitutions possible during this game.  As many as 5?  I can't quite say that I understand how it works though.

Netherlands 2 - Senegal Nil
The Netherlands lads look strong.  The Netherlands vs Ecuador game on the 25th should be a good one to watch.  I got the impression that the Senegal players were weakened by the heat and that's surprising when you considering where their home pitch is.

USA 1 - Wales - 1
A hard fought game.  I'm still not sold on the present USA team, and I think their noses will be bloodied going up against England this coming Friday.  Wales should have an easy go of it when they play Iran, also on Friday.   

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2022, 05:54:16 AM »
I especially enjoyed watching keeper Peter Shilton. 

I honestly can't remember anything he did that I would call 'flamboyant'. This, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRj3dKKp9tI

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2022, 06:01:54 AM »

Not happy with the draw, but it is better than a loss. 

This is the kind of original, penetrating analysis that I expect from Americans when they talk about sarker. (#sad #bringiton) Ooh, I feel all light-headed at the top of the table, looking down on you peasants and throwing the occasional rotten vegetable.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2022, 09:22:42 AM »
DOHA, Qatar (AP) — Hundreds of soccer fans in Qatar struggled to retrieve their digital World Cup tickets on Tuesday, as problems with FIFA’s mobile application stoked confusion and frustration at the tournament for a second day in a row.

A line of distressed fans snaked outside the main ticketing help desk in Doha, with many reporting that their tickets had abruptly disappeared from their phones and could not be retrieved— a glitch that caused hundreds to miss the start of England’s match against Iran on Monday.

https://apnews.com/article/world-cup-iran-technology-sports-soccer-bc4555bf41360cbc56c4be33386ab0fe

Who designed this app, Ticketmaster ? ? ?   ???

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2022, 09:33:04 AM »
This is the kind of original, penetrating analysis that I expect from Americans when they talk about sarker. (#sad #bringiton) Ooh, I feel all light-headed at the top of the table, looking down on you peasants and throwing the occasional rotten vegetable.

I expressed it in a way that you would understand.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2022, 09:44:40 AM »
I was shocked to see Saudi Arabia defeat Argentina.  :o  Messi seemed out of sorts the whole match.  Rushing his passes, etc.  The three disallowed goals...one by Messi... due to offside calls killed them.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2022, 02:27:55 PM »
I was shocked to see Saudi Arabia defeat Argentina.  :o  Messi seemed out of sorts the whole match.  Rushing his passes, etc.  The three disallowed goals...one by Messi... due to offside calls killed them.

There was a strange rumor going around the Qatar was bribing Ecuador to throw the first game (obviously it didn't happen) but with such an odd result like this from another middle east country vs a South American country make me go hummm  ???

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2022, 04:45:07 PM »
I honestly can't remember anything he did that I would call 'flamboyant'. This, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRj3dKKp9tI

That was great.  Kind of knocked the wind out of me, just from watching it.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »

Argentina lost their opener to Cameroon 1 to nil at the 1990 World Cup.  Despite the loss, the team would advance to the final where they lost to West Germany, 1 to nil.  Diego Maradona was on the team, not that it made any difference.  Every time he got the ball, opposing players would kick him in the shins and he would fall to the ground, clutching them in pain.