Author Topic: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours  (Read 34456 times)

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours
« on: March 26, 2021, 11:42:46 PM »
Read any good books lately? Ever?

Welcome to The Book Lodge, you felonious bookworm, you.

Drive right up. Drop your thoughts into the slot.

Recently read -  first book in 2021:

1.) THIS PERFECT DAY (1970)

by Ira Levin

This dystopian gem  was published after ROSEMARY'S BABY and  before THE STEPFORD WIVES.

In 1969 - Levin writing about enormous subterranean super conducting computers controlling our future  world.

Recommended

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 10:31:02 AM »
Currently The Devil in the White City.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 11:15:20 AM »
Most recent..

Evil Archaeology:
Demons, Possessions, and Sinister Relics

The cover of the book features nonother than Pazuzu, the demon from The Exorcist who possesses 12 yr old Regan. A real live demon that existed long before the book, and movie. Pazuzu and the story of kicks the book off in a rather rousing way and then branches out from there.

**** of 5

PS: The second book I ever read WAS The Exorcist at the age of 13. First was most likely a Curious George adventure :o  If only Pazuzu would've possessed George and saved me the graphic William Peter Blatty read.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 11:28:45 AM »
I've just discovered Lee Child's Jack Reacher series.  I think Reacher is trying to be the new Kirk - hitting everything.
Merry Christmas

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »
Most recent..

Evil Archaeology:

The cover of the book features nonother than Pazuzu, the demon from The Exorcist who possesses 12 yr old Regan. A real live demon that existed long before the book, and movie. Pazuzu and the story of kicks the book off in a rather rousing way and then branches out from there.

**** of 5

PS: The second book I ever read WAS The Exorcist at the age of 13. First was most likely a Curious George adventure :o  If only Pazuzu would've possessed George and saved me the graphic William Peter Blatty read.

Your book looks interesting.
I was too young to see the Exorcist at the theater. My mother forbade it. She did not, however, restrict my visits to the library in any way so I read it around the same age you did, @KSM. YES IT WAS A LOOPHOLE AND I TOOK IT! I also read Jaws. We lived half a block from the town library and I went there and got stacks of books frequently.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 04:46:10 PM »
Most recent..

Evil Archaeology:

**** of 5

The Bart Ell Dr Heather Lynn book giveaway effect!

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 05:11:25 PM »
The Bart Ell Dr Heather Lynn book giveaway effect!
I won no such contest. Unless the Barnes & Noble price was the buy in.  ?   uh oh

Your book looks interesting.
I was too young to see the Exorcist at the theater. My mother forbade it. She did not, however, restrict my visits to the library in any way so I read it around the same age you did, @KSM. YES IT WAS A LOOPHOLE AND I TOOK IT! I also read Jews. We lived half a block from the town library and I went there and got stacks of books frequently.

@anniem  Um , is that a typo or an actual book? Seems a tad abrasive if you ask me.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »
I read the novel Jaws years ago and man-o-man what a difference between it and the movie.  Let's see if I can remember the differences.

1.  After Chief Brody hires the shark expert Hooper to study the shark, Mrs. Brody, who is dissatisfied with her life, takes the sharkologist to a local motel and does the nasty with him.

2.  After fisherman Quint is hired to kill the shark, he, Chief Brody and shark expert Hooper make multiple trips out into the sea to get the shark.  (In the movie, they just make one long trip in search of the shark.)

3.  After they find the shark, Hooper goes down in his shark tank and the shark proceeds to rip the cage open and then it eats Hooper.  (Of course, he survived in the movie.)

4.  When the shark causes the boat to begin to sink, Quint manages to harpoon it a number of times, but then his foot gets caught in the rope and when the shark dives into the deep, Quint is taken with him and drowns.

5.  In the movie, Chief Brody was able to get the shark to explode, but in the book, the shark flopped its way up the sinking boat, eager to get a bellyful of the chief, but sadly (sad because I was rooting for the shark) it died from the effects of Quint's harpoon strikes, and Brody was able to paddle his way back to shore.

6.  I imagine there are more differences that I can't remember.  My god, I read that book back in 1975, not too long after the movie came out.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 09:50:32 PM »
I read the novel Jaws years ago and man-o-man what a difference between it and the movie.  Let's see if I can remember the differences.

1.  After Chief Brody hires the shark expert Hooper to study the shark, Mrs. Brody, who is dissatisfied with her life, takes the sharkologist to a local motel and does the nasty with him.

2.  After fisherman Quint is hired to kill the shark, he, Chief Brody and shark expert Hooper make multiple trips out into the sea to get the shark.  (In the movie, they just make one long trip in search of the shark.)

3.  After they find the shark, Hooper goes down in his shark tank and the shark proceeds to rip the cage open and then it eats Hooper.  (Of course, he survived in the movie.)

4.  When the shark causes the boat to begin to sink, Quint manages to harpoon it a number of times, but then his foot gets caught in the rope and when the shark dives into the deep, Quint is taken with him and drowns.

5.  In the movie, Chief Brody was able to get the shark to explode, but in the book, the shark flopped its way up the sinking boat, eager to get a bellyful of the chief, but sadly (sad because I was rooting for the shark) it died from the effects of Quint's harpoon strikes, and Brody was able to paddle his way back to shore.

6.  I imagine there are more differences that I can't remember.  My god, I read that book back in 1975, not too long after the movie came out.

RIGHT I REMEMBER THEM ALL.
Movies are never quite as good are they? Certainly when the best dramatic bits are changed.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 09:50:58 PM »
I won no such contest. Unless the Barnes & Noble price was the buy in.  ?   uh oh

@anniem  Um , is that a typo or an actual book? Seems a tad abrasive if you ask me.

Terrible, such a typo!
 ;D ;D ;D

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 11:50:32 PM »
Most recent..

Evil Archaeology:

**** of 5

One of my favorite shirts:

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 12:05:03 AM »

Very nice. I want: The power of Christ compels he.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 03:58:14 PM »
Currently The Devil in the White City.
Oh nice, you grabbed it @Annie ! What do you think so far?
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »
Very nice. I want: The power of Christ compels he.

Saying that he can sing is a stretch.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 04:01:55 PM »
I've read this book several times and always enjoy it. It's an oldy but a goody.

The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,