Author Topic: Music - Discuss your favorite music here.  (Read 289413 times)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
Re: Music - Discuss your favorite music here.
« Reply #1560 on: June 19, 2021, 10:51:35 AM »
Back in Black was one of the first albums I bought so I tend to think Brian as the voice of AC/DC.  I don’t think they would have become as big and remained a more niche band and not the juggernaut they are (were?) if Bon had not passed.

Although, if they debuted today they might work well with Bon.  Wearing school girl outfits would just give him an automatic core audience 😁

Also, I don't think the wild craziness flies as well today as the depressed and brooding self-destructive types. Although I'm thinking of Amy Winehouse as I say it and she's been dead for, what? A decade? Two?
Eh, nevermind...

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #1561 on: June 19, 2021, 11:28:39 AM »
That is precisely why I stay oot of here. Continuous song posting with virtually no "Discuss"ion of music itself. @whoozit  Perhaps an aptly titled thread would have served better.

I am disgusted by this thread!
Hopping Mad!
Peeved!
Angry!
Overly annoyed!
Spanking my meat!
Experiencing extreme angst!
I still buy vinyl records. My favorite music to listen to is always changing. I can not imagine being a musician in 2021. A friend stopped over yesterday. He played his band's latest cut on his cell phone for me.  ::)
I am thinking about buying THE WALL, (Limited double 180 gram vinyl LP pressing) on Amazon.  I really hate the woke values adults are trying to teach the kids.

Teacher, leave those kids alone.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #1562 on: June 19, 2021, 11:44:42 AM »
Yes. Take AC/DC for instance. Some folks favor Bon Scott where others, Brian Johnson.  For me it varies from song to song and not one singer over the other. @whoozit

Do you @Camazotz Automat have any opinion on this?  I cannot imagine Bon singing For those About To Rock but that said I am not all that happy hearing Brian singing Whole Lotta Rosie ETC.  I am not in the camp that one guy is better than the other. Shoot To Thrill or Shake A Leg (best riff ever) is unimaginable by any other vocalist on the planet - then and now.   

But this I stand by; no better replacement for Bon than Brian.
@KSM 

Both Bon and Johnson ring true for me,  depending on the song. Tonally, if I HAD to choose one over the other, I would choose Johnson, specifically  during the Back in Black/For Those About To Rock periods.

But I would not in any way prefer Johnson to sing Let There Be Rock et al. Bon permanently branded those songs with his unique sound. Similarly, I prefer Paul Di' Anno's punkish vocals on early Iron Maiden no matter how great Bruce sounds on later Maiden.

This isn't always the case. For example, I think Dio effectively covered early Sabbath.

The main thing - perhaps the KEY takeaway point - about my opinion, is I hate The Jonas Brothers like I'm a barking mad rabid bat.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1563 on: June 19, 2021, 02:19:03 PM »
Dio's voice is a lot bigger than he was... Using the kids' urinal was necessary.  Doh!
😁

PS his family was sooooo cool to my friend after RJD died. She was corresponding with Dio over the years (she was even in the Decline of Western Civilization: Metal Years movie). She also had cancer. After he died, the family kept in touch and helped out on occasion.  I believe her vanity plates with an RJD reference, were given to the family after her death.
Eh, nevermind...

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1564 on: June 19, 2021, 02:32:27 PM »
Dio's voice is a lot bigger than he was... Using the kids' urinal was necessary.  Doh!
😁

PS his family was sooooo cool to my friend after RJD died. She was corresponding with Dio over the years (she was even in the Decline of Western Civilization: Metal Years movie). She also had cancer. After he died, the family kept in touch and helped out on occasion.  I believe her vanity plates with an RJD reference, were given to the family after her death.

I worked at Wendy Dio's antique store on Ventura Blvd near Laurel Canyon. The job was given to me as a favor so that I could stay in the country when other things went sideways during my first few months there.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1565 on: June 19, 2021, 03:30:50 PM »
@KSM 

Both Bon and Johnson ring true for me,  depending on the song. Tonally, if I HAD to choose one over the other, I would choose Johnson, specifically  during the Back in Black/For Those About To Rock periods.

But I would not in any way prefer Johnson to sing Let There Be Rock et al. Bon permanently branded those songs with his unique sound. Similarly, I prefer Paul Di' Anno's punkish vocals on early Iron Maiden no matter how great Bruce sounds on later Maiden.

This isn't always the case. For example, I think Dio effectively covered early Sabbath.

The main thing - perhaps the KEY takeaway point - about my opinion, is I hate The Jonas Brothers like I'm a barking mad rabid bat.
A few things there.

Full on agree about the Dio thing. He is the one guy in history to come along and be instantly accepted by fans no matter what era of BS he was singing (covering?) simply because of his voice and vocal command.

Paul Di' Anno was great I thought and the Killers album shines. Dark voice and somewhat dark production IMO. #MurdersInTheRueMorg

I am a lil surprised that we all so far seem to lean just a bit in the Brian direction. I think that the production on albums like Back In black and For Those About.. had alot to do with it too. #RobertMuttLange who also brought Def Leopard out of the garage sound into the living room.  He did the High and Dry album, raw and beautiful sounding. #LetItGo

...I am just baaawbbling on..........

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1566 on: June 19, 2021, 06:42:47 PM »
I worked at Wendy Dio's antique store on Ventura Blvd near Laurel Canyon. The job was given to me as a favor so that I could stay in the country when other things went sideways during my first few months there.

Another wonderful story about them....

A great place to work for a single man too. 😁
Eh, nevermind...

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1567 on: June 26, 2021, 01:26:27 PM »
And we all wanna touch a rainbow.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1568 on: June 26, 2021, 06:22:13 PM »
Eh, nevermind...

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1569 on: June 27, 2021, 05:45:36 AM »

This touches my Heart.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #1570 on: June 28, 2021, 08:54:41 AM »
@FISH

JJ does the Blues

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #1571 on: June 28, 2021, 09:03:33 AM »
@FISH

JJ does the Blues

Thanks @Up All Night
JJ always cheers me up.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #1572 on: July 02, 2021, 11:18:39 PM »
Back to da 90's:

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1573 on: July 03, 2021, 01:13:06 PM »

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!