Author Topic: Celebrity Deaths  (Read 354297 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Celebrity Deaths
« Reply #795 on: January 30, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
There are a lot of reasons I no longer watch sports (ok, I did watch the NFL playoffs this year, recorded them and buzzed thru commercials.  I also watch the Tour De France, although not last year or the year before). 

ESPN did several things that helped ruin sports, one being too many interviews and us finding out too much about the players as individuals.  Far too many dumb, arrogant jerks.  It's supposed to be fun, it isn't fun for me anymore.

ESPN was cool at the beginning.  They turned out to be absolute garbage.  Utterly useless tabloid shit. 

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #796 on: January 30, 2020, 10:21:59 AM »
ESPN was cool at the beginning.  They turned out to be absolute garbage.  Utterly useless tabloid shit.

They weren't hiring people based on the quality of their character, their skill sets or their knowledge... I remember somebody on sports radio actually saying that, with their getting in bed with ABC-Disney, that they were the dumping ground for some of the corporate quota stuff.

I wonder, if like me, the cord-cutting was based more on the biased content being shoved down the coaxial lines?  After I cut the cable, I got rather creative in finding illegal ways to download their content too. I rarely watch any illegal content but, on occasion, I have.  I use free apps on my Roku TV to watch almost anything I really want.
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #797 on: January 30, 2020, 11:38:56 AM »

In the dorms we had free cable, and it included ESPN.  The early years featured boxers with records like 3-12.

Here are some of the ways they ruined sports:

- Too many interviews, TMI regarding these miscreant players.  Before cable they'd interview the star of the game for a few minutes and that was it

- They started playing up stars.  It was no longer the Cetlics or Bulls are coming to town, it was Larry Bird or Michael Jordan is coming to town.  This encouraged more selfish play in what were supposed to be team sports

- Highlight selection.  Home runs, slam dunks, etc.  No slick double plays, assist, blocks, stellar defense etc.  This encouraged more selfish play in what were supposed to be team sports

- Injecting politics.  Massive turn off.  It was bad enough to do that - but to make it even worse, it's the PC and fake news variety.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #798 on: January 30, 2020, 01:43:14 PM »
They used to show games, not interviews. Australian rules football, college hockey, small college football, boxing, rugby. It was great.
Merry Christmas

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #799 on: January 30, 2020, 03:16:30 PM »
They used to show games, not interviews. Australian rules football, college hockey, small college football, boxing, rugby. It was great.

I loved Australian Rules Football and rugby.  It was sport at non-traditional times, times when I would be vegging out or trying to kill time.  Same thing with Teletubbies, late Saturday wake up time would watch during breakfast prep.

Did ESPN bring anything new to coverage? Fox did with digital overlays and a continuous score, etc...

Eh, nevermind...

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
Eh, nevermind...

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #801 on: February 02, 2020, 06:34:19 AM »
Andy Gill - Gang of Four

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/01/andy-gill-influential-guitarist-with-gang-of-four-dies-aged-64
One of my favorite bands from that era.
" Solid Gold" is the second album and released in 1981.
"Outside the Trains Don't Run on Time"  :)

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #802 on: February 05, 2020, 02:03:41 AM »

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #803 on: February 05, 2020, 04:24:50 AM »
Ah man.

Songs of the Free was the album, IIRC.

Damaged Goods?

Damaged goods (ah, ah, ah, ah)
Send them back (ah, ah, ah, ah)
I can't work, I…

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #804 on: February 05, 2020, 03:46:20 PM »
Are we having fun yet?

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #805 on: February 05, 2020, 04:52:25 PM »
Kirk Douglas 103

RIP Ragman

https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-kirk-douglas-snap-story.html

He held on a long time. His kid looks like he won't make it nearly as long, cancer kicked his ass.
Eh, nevermind...

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #806 on: February 05, 2020, 06:39:59 PM »
He held on a long time. His kid looks like he won't make it nearly as long, cancer kicked his ass.

How do you decide which dead rapists you support and which ones you give the Kobe treatment?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #807 on: February 05, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
 :'(

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #808 on: February 05, 2020, 06:47:54 PM »

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #809 on: February 05, 2020, 06:48:27 PM »
How do you decide which dead rapists you support and which ones you give the Kobe treatment?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Shit.  I had never heard that.  She sure had a rough time in her way too short life.  :'(