Author Topic: children's football  (Read 7031 times)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
children's football
« on: October 27, 2019, 08:28:18 PM »
The Newton (NJ) Braves PeeWees (11 and under as of August 1, with a weight limit) finished their season yesterday 4-5.  I was an assistant coach.

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
Re: children's football
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 08:36:49 PM »
The Newton (NJ) Braves PeeWees (11 and under as of August 1, with a weight limit) finished their season yesterday 4-5.  I was an assistant coach.

Congratulations! I hope it was fun for everyone.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
Congratulations! I hope it was fun for everyone.
I certainly had fun this season.  The kids, probably too.  Coach Lance must have too, to fly back from business in Milwaukee in time for our last game -- or maybe he'd've done so anyway for family reasons.

Max sacrificed a good deal to play.  His 17 YO sister was killed in a car accident this spring.  He barely made weight early in our season to play interior line positions.  For the final game he'd gotten under the weight limit to play unrestricted as to position.

This was the only season I'd ever coached that had two girls on the team (roster of 19).  Most teams I've coached had none, but twice I'd coached teams with one.  I've been with "this team" (in the sense of the core of players and coaches) since 2017, when they were at what the Morris County Youth Football League calls Clinic Level; both girls were picked up this year.  Unfortunately in my experience 12 years old is about when girls tend to stop playing football, so I hope we keep them next year.

This season we also picked up Coach Dennis, who reminds me of a good and funny head coach I worked with for 3 seasons in NY.  Dennis lives near me and coached another team in the club in previous years, although he did help us a little then too.  Unfortunately the reason he could coach with us this year is that we couldn't field enough 12U players to form that team this year.  This club's been very fortunate in fielding a team at each MCYFL level every year for some time until this year.  Dennis replaced Coach Jeff, whom I liked very much -- he was a biophysicist, me a biochemist -- whose son Xander this year switched school districts and is concentrating on soccer, sportwise.

This season I frequently went to practice after dragging thru most of the day, and then felt energized by football practice.  Something about the sport, being around children, and being out on the field and (somewhat) active.  Been coaching in NY and NJ since 2007, and sometimes noticed that effect before, but never so frequently as this year.

Anybody else want to discuss football strategy and coaching as related to children, or to relative newcomers at any age?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
Last year at this time we were having spring practice.  This year, I'm sure you can guess, not.  So I've been working on stuff on "paper".  If you don't mind linking thru a children's football discussion board (unaffiliated with our club), here are a couple threads I started on it:

https://football.dumcoach.com/community/t-style-football/what-ive-been-sending-coaches-on-my-team-lately

https://football.dumcoach.com/community/single-wing-football/plays-to-go-with-our-wing-t-system

The other coaches discussing there are not my team's coaches.

If you know more than a bit about football and either notice the sections at that board I've posted these at or link thru to my own discussion and diagrams, I like both wing T and single wing offense systems, and especially where they're combined.  One way I like to combine them for children is as the sidesaddle T, an obscure system of offense where the quarterback stands sideways to the rest of the formation.  Another way is what I'd like to do here, which is modifying wing T by adding plays where the ball is snapped thru the quarterback's legs to the deep backs.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 08:18:47 AM »
I'm still in suspense about whether we'll be able to start practice Aug. 3.

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 10:03:55 PM »

Assistant coach?  What about the court order?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 07:48:23 PM »
Assistant coach?  What about the court order?
Somehow the judge's word that I was to be head coach wasn't taken seriously.

Actually I was tapped to be a head coach in 2016 in the Bronx Warriors, but I knew I was moving away, so turned it down.

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 01:32:59 AM »
Somehow the judge's word that I was to be head coach wasn't taken seriously.

Actually I was tapped to be a head coach in 2016 in the Bronx Warriors, but I knew I was moving away, so turned it down.
   :o ;D

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 06:39:50 PM »
We'd ordinarily be starting practice this Monday.  No word yet on whether we'll even do anything this fall, but it doesn't look good.

Chefist

• Ellightened
  • BITCH! GOODBYE!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 06:41:55 PM »
Wtaf? Robert Casio?
"I am not a stupid man!." - George Senda

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 07:03:02 PM »
Wtaf? Robert Casio?
What's he got to do with this?

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 07:20:17 PM »
What's he got to do with this?

He was mentioned in that post right before yours Robert. Didn't you see it?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 08:37:00 PM »
He was mentioned in that post right before yours Robert. Didn't you see it?
No.  You mean in October of 2019?  Some other thread in the Sports area?  If I search for "Casio" is it likely to turn up?  I remember your having mentioned him a few years ago.

OK, I searched the board for "Casio" and got nothing in the past 2 years except fragments of words.

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 05:04:56 AM »
No.  You mean in October of 2019?  Some other thread in the Sports area?  If I search for "Casio" is it likely to turn up?  I remember your having mentioned him a few years ago.

OK, I searched the board for "Casio" and got nothing in the past 2 years except fragments of words.

I think Casio makes watches don't they?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 06:13:02 PM »
I think Casio makes watches don't they?
According to Defending Your Life, the largest maker of timepieces in the known universe.