Author Topic: Sports During Corona  (Read 1481 times)

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
Sports During Corona
« on: July 28, 2020, 02:49:57 PM »
Looks like most sports are doing the Bubble strategy

Women soccer went to Utah, which seems like a smart move
UFC got his own island
ESPN Boxing was in the MGN in Las Vegas, it had a few trainers tests positive which cancelled entire fights early on but seemed they got their act together after the first week. They are also doing the bubble system

MLS Soccer is in Florida, DC/Toronto had a scare in the opening days. But it was a false positive and postponed their 24 hours. They are about half way through and seems to be going okay
NBA is starting this week in Florida and NHL starts this week in Canada

Baseball is doing a a regular travel system. Canada wants nothing to do with it so the Blue Jays are playing "home games" early on at opponents park and in a few weeks Buffalo will be their home. In the first week the Miami Marlins (again with Florida) got a bunch of players and staff with covid. I heard the total is everywhere from 15-20. There games are postponed for at least the rest of the week.

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Sports During Corona
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 03:37:28 PM »
Honestly, I wanted everything to be canceled.   I will say I was disappointed that the politicians in my state wouldn't allow the Blue Jays to play at PNC Park.  Meh...nonetheless, still I say cancel it all.  I want to see what happens.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »
Loving bubble hockey.
Great new camera angles.
The only sports that will finish the season will be those in bubbles.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 03:53:37 PM »
NFL is covered too!

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »
... Baseball is doing a a regular travel system. Canada wants nothing to do with it so the Blue Jays are playing "home games" early on at opponents park and in a few weeks Buffalo will be their home. In the first week the Miami Marlins (again with Florida) got a bunch of players and staff with covid. I heard the total is everywhere from 15-20. There games are postponed for at least the rest of the week.

It's been said baseball is an island of activity in a sea of statistics.  More than probably any other sport, statistics are used to compare players, including across eras (although that is less useful the way the game has changed the past 25 years).

A 60 game season, with some teams playing less than that due to covid will make for strange statistics indeed.  Who knows, we may see a .400 hitter.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 09:21:59 AM »
It's been said baseball is an island of activity in a sea of statistics.  More than probably any other sport, statistics are used to compare players, including across eras (although that is less useful the way the game has changed the past 25 years).

A 60 game season, with some teams playing less than that due to covid will make for strange statistics indeed.  Who knows, we may see a .400 hitter.

The fact they are postponing games is ludicrous. They established a 30 man roster of standbys in “ready reserve” which we’re supposed to be able to backfill any players that tested positive. They should just quit this nonsense and shut everything down. Declare the Cubs the 2020 champions and be done with it.
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »
Honestly, I wanted everything to be canceled.   I will say I was disappointed that the politicians in my state wouldn't allow the Blue Jays to play at PNC Park.  Meh...nonetheless, still I say cancel it all.  I want to see what happens.
@ShayP  PNC is a beautiful park. I was really hoping that would've worked out but do you think other Burgherittes would have agreed with you in allowing them to call PNC home for the season?  I guess it would've seemed like Pittsburgh had two baseball teams this year.  Although how bout Toronto not allowing their own team to essentially come home yet they have no problem letting antifa and their ilk flood the city parks every day.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 10:34:49 AM »
... how bout Toronto not allowing their own team to essentially come home yet they have no problem letting antifa and their ilk flood the city parks every day.

They're following the science

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 10:54:01 AM »
@ShayP  PNC is a beautiful park. I was really hoping that would've worked out but do you think other Burgherittes would have agreed with you in allowing them to call PNC home for the season?  I guess it would've seemed like Pittsburgh had two baseball teams this year.  Although how bout Toronto not allowing their own team to essentially come home yet they have no problem letting antifa and their ilk flood the city parks every day.

Yes. @KSM32  From what I've heard and read most people were all for it; especially for the boost to the economy. 

The Jays should've been able to play in their park.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 07:48:15 PM »

What I am thinking also is if teams are having to take extended breaks like the Marlins are doing this week, that also messes up their opponents who will also have to take at least a 3 game break and messing up their pitching rotation, another thought is how are they going to proclaim a winner of a division. IF Miami never plays another game this season,  there winning percentage would be better than all the other teams.

Your NL East Division Champions

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 02:39:23 PM »
So the Pac-8, sorry, Pac-12, is now facing a players group demanding among other things 50% of sports revenue paid to the ''student''-athletes in the various sports.  Revenue, not net income.

The conference should just say no. 

The various teams have stadiums and facilities to maintain and salaries to pay.  Some even have huge amounts of debt for new stadiums they've built.  The cost of running the programs are enormous, and hardly any make money.  Because of Title IX, the schools have to offer women student athletes as many scholarships as they do men, and thus operate more sports (there are no women's sports with 100 players on the team, like football has.  Every one of those programs at every school - including women's basketball - loses money.  All but a handful of football programs across the country wouldn't survive without taxpayer funds and donor money.

The players say they play for free, but that isn't true.  They get full scholarships, apartments, all the food they can eat, top medical care, first class travel, meals, and hotel.  They are popular on campus.  They don't have to work while going to school.  They receive top coaching, and the best of them are able to hone their skills to the point of being able to continue in the NFL - where they can earn millions and live a life others only dream of.  Etc etc.  For the majority who won't turn pro, they will leave school without a huge student loan.

The schools should tell the players to stick it, don't even entertain the proposal.  College isn't for everyone.