Author Topic: guests or open lines  (Read 1482 times)

garywilson

• KMST
guests or open lines
« on: December 24, 2018, 03:38:35 PM »
what do you prefer guests or open lines on coast to coast am
i prefer open lines because you never know what going to get with open lines and i'ts fun
it could jc or time traveler from past

guests are boring with noory asking pre recorded questions from cue cards and most the time the guests answers are that good question but i don't know the answer

boring >:(

the only time i want guest if i;ts demetri the devil channler oscar ufo phil dr morgus and jc

with the occasionally aaron donahue  and mr lobo
no craig hulet or ed dames

GhostRaven

• KIDD
Re: guests or open lines
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 01:29:47 AM »
I prefer open lines, guests are hit or miss and often a bit boring.

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 01:35:24 AM »
I prefer open lines, guests are hit or miss and often a bit boring.
So what you are saying is that you love the regular callers like Annie from Alabama to call in to the show then??

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »
I prefer a show with some variety - opening monologue/current events, then open lines, then a guest, followed by calls to ask questions to the guest and the guest’s topic. 

sumethinz new

• KDWN
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 10:15:10 PM »
I've not listened regularly in a while but was disappointed the other night when Keith from Rochester called in and got banned for not playing nice with Ed Dames. IMO, Keith was just the right amount of crotchety and was one of my favorites. The usual intonation in his voice, for me, was manna from heaven.

I guess the next best thing is either the lady who is both the reincarnation of Cleopatra and Aretha Franklin, or the conspiracy guy who believes John Lennon was assassinated by Stephen King. Crazy, right? I mean, everyone knows it was actually Dean Koontz who conspired with Ronald Reagan to kill Lennon. Unfortunately, Noory and staff rarely let that guy get through; it has been years since I heard him make it in...but it was gold whenever he did slip through.

Some of the guests can be fun and seem to compliment both Georgie's personality and often those of his callers very well, so I don't really think in terms of which is better; open lines or guests, because both can be good in their own right, as much as they can be good for each other. There's something for everyone. Besides, getting too much of what we want can get dull.

serious new topics like little or unknown history or science are unicorns w/ c2c...and so are quite a different ball game. for those, I prefer Knapp (on the rare occasion it's not ufo-related) Syrett (on EVERYTHING) or Ian (if he can stand to quit talking about comics for 10 seconds) along with a more discerning screening process for callers (if you know what i mean)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 10:59:25 PM »
Back in the shows heyday Art would sometimes open the show with the usual current events coupled with his own musings and opinions which I loved. Next up after the break would be an open lines segment and then a guest for only one or two segments but not the rest of the show and this left the last hour or two for more open lines about the guest or whatever.. 

That was always my favorite format.

LawnBoy

• KDWN
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 04:34:09 AM »
I prefer a show with some variety - opening monologue/current events, then open lines, then a guest, followed by calls to ask questions to the guest and the guest’s topic.

What Bluejay said  ^^^^

I think the problem is with all the chat rooms and wormholes, etc. , there aren't enough callers to prevent the same people from calling in night after night. In the Art days, he was the only show going and he had hundreds of thousands of radio listeners at any given time, so open lines worked. It's a shame because I agree with some of you that the open line crowd was very amusing, especially the way Art handled them.