Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 510891 times)

PB

• Ellevated
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #510 on: October 20, 2018, 06:27:16 AM »
Thank you @DynamoHum.  I'm glad things were slow at work because you sound great.  Did you win your poker game with Jackie?  I've never met a mobster myself, but I had a distant relative (since deceased) who had been a member of the mafia.  I can't remember which family, possibly Lucchese.  I'd have to look it up.  Thanks again.

At least some of the old Italian mob families bought legitimate businesses and went straight.  Sort of.  Some more than others.  I had a consulting job at one for the better part of a year, as it slowly dawned on me that was the case at this company.  As it was a decent sized, growing company, the people they'd hired over time were normal (i.e. not from families with a mafia background)

I remember walking in every morning and always turning left at the front desk, no need at all to be over near the top exes.  It was like slowly realizing half your neighbors were cannibals. 

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #511 on: October 20, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #512 on: October 20, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »

John C. Frémont   

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #513 on: October 20, 2018, 05:05:47 PM »
... John C. Fremont...

I like the postcards with the preprinted stamps having the same image as the front.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #514 on: October 21, 2018, 11:26:33 PM »
I like the postcards with the preprinted stamps having the same image as the front.

Yes, that is kind of cool.  After seeing so many 1 cent and 2 cent stamps on old postcards, that 19 cent stamp seems a little steep for 1993.  As of January 1st, 2017 the price to send a postcard went up to 34 cents.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #515 on: October 22, 2018, 12:01:24 AM »

This postcard was used to send a birthday wish.  I consider this to be the front of the postcard but the postal clerk cancelled the back of the card, too.

I think that the clerk was trying to keep the cancellation date from covering up some of the message, so he or she turned the card over and put some of the cancellation marks and date on the back of the card.

January 27, 1918 was an important date in movie history.  The very first Tarzan film called "Tarzan of the Apes", premiered at the Broadway Theatre.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #516 on: October 22, 2018, 12:27:52 AM »
Mr. Gins, you make me regret the fact I left my collection in America.
I can share some from Japan though.

Tokyo Skytree. The tallest tower in Japan and second tallest free standing structure in the world.

Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #517 on: October 22, 2018, 12:55:59 AM »
Mr. Gins, you make me regret the fact I left my collection in America.
I can share some from Japan though.

Tokyo Skytree. The tallest tower in Japan and second tallest free standing structure in the world.

Nice.  Please keep them coming.  I love Japan.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #518 on: October 23, 2018, 02:25:16 AM »
I found a website for you Rikki, if you're interested in seeing old photos.
http://www.meijishowa.com/

150 Years Ago:
10-23 (1868) Meiji Period Starts

The Meiji Restoration ends the Tokugawa shogunate, which ruled for 265 years

On February 3, 1867, fifteen-year old Prince Mutsuhito succeeded his father, Emperor Komei. The era in which Emperor Mutsuhito ruled ( October 23, 1868 – July 30, 1912) was named Meiji or enlightened rule.

The Meiji Period was categorized by drastic reform that jumpstarted Japan’s modernization and rise to world power status.

The first reform was the Five Charter Oath of 1868:

By this oath, we set up as our aim the establishment of the national wealth on a broad basis and the framing of a constitution and laws.

Deliberative assemblies shall be widely established and all matters decided by open discussion.
        All classes, high and low, shall be united in vigorously carrying out the administration of affairs of state.
        The common people, no less than the civil and military officials, shall all be allowed to pursue their own calling so that there may be no discontent.
        Evil customs of the past shall be broken off and everything based upon the just laws of Nature.
        Knowledge shall be sought throughout the world so as to strengthen the foundation of imperial rule

To aid Japan’s modernization, the Japanese government employed over 3,000 foreign experts (o-yatoi gaikokujin or ‘hired foreigners’) and sent a large number of Japanese students to Europe and the USA.

The closely monitored and heavily subsidized process of modernization greatly enhanced the power of zaibatsu firms like Mitsui and Mitsubishi, which grew into giants during the Meiji Period.
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #519 on: October 23, 2018, 05:10:25 AM »

The address is great
Mrs. N.P. Thomas
Wayland
              O

Portage Co.

It probably made it just fine to Mrs. Thomas of Wayland, Ohio in Portage County

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #520 on: October 23, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »

Why should I have all the fun of looking things up?  Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to find out all you can about this place.  I purposefully haven't looked anything up.  Is the cheese place still in existence?  See if you can find any information on it, such as when it first opened, who owned it, (owns it) was it torn down and replaced by another building?

More search clues can be found on the back of the postcard.  There should be some easy to find information on the place because this is not all that old of a postcard.  There is a zip code printed on it.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #521 on: October 23, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »

Why should I have all the fun of looking things up?  Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to find out all you can about this place.  I purposefully haven't looked anything up.  Is the cheese place still in existence?  See if you can find any information on it, such as when it first opened, who owned it, (owns it) was it torn down and replaced by another building?

More search clues can be found on the back of the postcard.  There should be some easy to find information on the place because this is not all that old of a postcard.  There is a zip code printed on it.
Still open and apparently thriving.  There seems to be some question on location in these sources though it could be one is the legal address and the other is more of a descriptive address that makes more sense to people in area?

"A History of Quality

At the age of 16, Richard Brassel (Pops) took over the family produce stand after his father passed away. on a friends recommendation, Pops decided to start selling cheese which sold faster and lasted longer than the produce. He then established Cheesehaven in 1949 and became famous for his Swiss cheese.

In 1989, Cheesehaven moved to its current location on the corner of Rt. 163 and Rt. 53.

Pops passed away in January 2011, but CheeseHaven remains family owned and operated by his son and daughter-in-law."

http://cheesehaven.com/index1.html

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/cheese-haven-hiding-in-ohio-oh/

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #522 on: October 23, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »
Still open and apparently thriving.  There seems to be some question on location in these sources though it could be one is the legal address and the other is more of a descriptive address that makes more sense to people in area?

"A History of Quality

At the age of 16, Richard Brassel (Pops) took over the family produce stand after his father passed away. on a friends recommendation, Pops decided to start selling cheese which sold faster and lasted longer than the produce. He then established Cheesehaven in 1949 and became famous for his Swiss cheese.

In 1989, Cheesehaven moved to its current location on the corner of Rt. 163 and Rt. 53.

Pops passed away in January 2011, but CheeseHaven remains family owned and operated by his son and daughter-in-law."

http://cheesehaven.com/index1.html

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/cheese-haven-hiding-in-ohio-oh/

Well, you've pretty much covered everything.  Well done, Mr. a!  One of your links shows comments of people who have visited the store, and they were put off by the cheese personnel insisting that they (the potential customers) make known their intentions to buy before partaking of the free samples.  In the link below, Pops himself would holler at them. "Are you going to eat all my samples or are you going to buy some cheese?!!"  Apparently, the present owners have kept up with Pop's traditional way of dealing with moochers customers.

This particular link has a picture of Pops in it: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/portclintonnewsherald/obituary.aspx?pid=147957320 

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #523 on: October 23, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »
Well, you've pretty much covered everything.  Well done, Mr. a!  One of your links shows comments of people who have visited the store, and they were put off by the cheese personnel insisting that they (the potential customers) make known their intentions to buy before partaking of the free samples.  In the link below, Pops himself would holler at them. "Are you going to eat all my samples or are you going to buy some cheese?!!"  Apparently, the present owners have kept up with Pop's traditional way of dealing with moochers customers.

This particular link has a picture of Pops in it: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/portclintonnewsherald/obituary.aspx?pid=147957320
There is sometimes an odd phenomena where bitter, or even rude, staff is a plus. An odd thing but the old embittered waitress, the ornery bartender, the short-fused cook, etc oddly endears people to some places. Weird thing. Maybe a reverse psychology? If you don't get 'the treatment' a bonus? Or fun or watching other get it? Usually places that have been around a long time. Sadly, at least here, that kind of service is gone, since turn-over of staff, old places gone, and "progress."

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #524 on: October 23, 2018, 10:17:11 PM »
There is sometimes an odd phenomena where bitter, or even rude, staff is a plus. An odd thing but the old embittered waitress, the ornery bartender, the short-fused cook, etc oddly endears people to some places. Weird thing. Maybe a reverse psychology? If you don't get 'the treatment' a bonus? Or fun or watching other get it? Usually places that have been around a long time. Sadly, at least here, that kind of service is gone, since turn-over of staff, old places gone, and "progress."

You can always visit Falkie