Author Topic: SOS - Word Online Formatting  (Read 6683 times)

Sofia

• Ellightened
SOS - Word Online Formatting
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »
Does anyone know how to clear text formatting which automatically came (invisibly) with a pre-fab Word Online Bing photo?  Microsoft Online Support didn't seem to address this, and most advice forums say to remove the formatting (which I already did).  Even if I put the photo at the end of the doc, the 2 prior text paragraphs have a very sloppy, light blue text highlighter appearance.  The only way I can fix the text is to delete the photo, but I need the photo.  Word Online IS the sponsor of the Bing photo - It comes straight from the edit menu.

Changing a photo format to "soft edge, white frame" fixed one of these situations.  But it did not fix the other situation.  Of course, I removed all the formatting but that didn't help.  I re-wrote the doc on a new sheet from scratch without pasting anything into it, and it looks great until I insert that second photo.  Any ideas?  My ONLY tool is Word Online, so whatever I need to do needs to be in that system.  I'll keep trying to find a better photo but options are limited and so is time.
:o

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
Re: SOS - Word Online Formatting
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »
Does anyone know how to clear text formatting which automatically came (invisibly) with a pre-fab Word Online Bing photo?  Microsoft Online Support didn't seem to address this, and most advice forums say to remove the formatting (which I already did).  Even if I put the photo at the end of the doc, the 2 prior text paragraphs have a very sloppy, light blue text highlighter appearance.  The only way I can fix the text is to delete the photo, but I need the photo.  Word Online IS the sponsor of the Bing photo - It comes straight from the edit menu.

Changing a photo format to "soft edge, white frame" fixed one of these situations.  But it did not fix the other situation.  Of course, I removed all the formatting but that didn't help.  I re-wrote the doc on a new sheet from scratch without pasting anything into it, and it looks great until I insert that second photo.  Any ideas?  My ONLY tool is Word Online, so whatever I need to do needs to be in that system.  I'll keep trying to find a better photo but options are limited and so is time.
:o

On Windows-
Right click on the photo, click Properties. Go over to details and click "Remove properties and Personal Information"

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 12:56:17 PM »
I ended up hunting and pecking through Word Online Bing photos to find a photo that did not cause the problem.  After I found one, everything seemed great until I re-sized it in the document in Word Online.  Then, the sloppy light blue highlighter returned in the nearest 2 text paragraphs.  However, the problem went away after I reverse-sized it back.  Weird.  At least it's over (ha, ha, hello ItsOver, you never have these problems, do you  ::)).

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »
Word - Libre Office.

;D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Cuz free beats paywall every time...

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »
I ended up hunting and pecking through Word Online Bing photos to find a photo that did not cause the problem.  After I found one, everything seemed great until I re-sized it in the document in Word Online.  Then, the sloppy light blue highlighter returned in the nearest 2 text paragraphs.  However, the problem went away after I reverse-sized it back.  Weird.  At least it's over (ha, ha, hello ItsOver, you never have these problems, do you  ::) ).
one problem is word online is terrible. use a office suite on your computer locally then upload it to where-ever it needs to go. the above mentioned libreoffice is a good choice, just save the document in a word compatible format, such as .docx.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 10:57:14 PM »
On Windows-
Right click on the photo, click Properties. Go over to details and click "Remove properties and Personal Information"
Properties drove me crazy in 3 browsers but I'm going to try what you said.  Thanks.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:16:24 PM »
Yeah, I still don't get Properties on a right click in Chrome or IE.  I remember last week on a different computer Properties was shaded out, too.  I Googled what-happened-to Properties but found nothing.  Do you know?  I will keep trying, though.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »
i cant help you further. any attempt by me to access office online, i get it in Portuguese , irregardless of my language settings.
i will open office.com, its in english. click on word , english. click on (for example, it doesnt matter what i click on excel, word , etc) blank document, it changes to Portuguese. since i never have need to use word or $micro$oft office, it doesn't matter to me.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »
i cant help you further. any attempt by me to access office online, i get it in Portuguese , irregardless of my language settings.

Keith strikes again!

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 07:38:43 AM »

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »
i will open office.com, its in english. click on word , english. click on (for example, it doesnt matter what i click on excel, word , etc) blank document, it changes to Portuguese. since i never have need to use word or $micro$oft office, it doesn't matter to me.
It looks like a lot of people on the Internet have similar issues.  One person said after many efforts and partial solutions, things finally got back to English after he cleared everything, cookies, cache, logon data, etc...  Glad it doesn't matter to you!

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 05:57:09 AM »
Libre turned out to be a swell program today when I needed it.  What a lifesaver.  Wish I'd realized this sooner, so brain washed by Microsoft.  Better late than never, though, that's for sure!  It did not seem to have any of the bugs I find in other word processing apps, although the font navigation took a little getting used to.  It worked GREAT! 8)

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 10:43:25 AM »
See there...don't say I never do nice things for ya! 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 09:07:40 PM »
It looks like a lot of people on the Internet have similar issues.  One person said after many efforts and partial solutions, things finally got back to English after he cleared everything, cookies, cache, logon data, etc...  Glad it doesn't matter to you!
14, I may not be understanding your issue correctly. If it is that when you copy and paste something that you got online you get formatting you don't want, a suggestion I found (like when copying from a webpage into word and then it has a lot of junk around it I don't want when I just want the text) is to past the copied info into wordpad or notepad, then save it. Copy and past that wordpad/notepad file into Word, voila! No web formatting.

If I am misunderstanding your issues, please ignore this post and carry on.  ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 12:03:20 AM »
14, I may not be understanding your issue correctly. If it is that when you copy and paste something that you got online you get formatting you don't want, a suggestion I found (like when copying from a webpage into word and then it has a lot of junk around it I don't want when I just want the text) is to past the copied info into wordpad or notepad, then save it. Copy and past that wordpad/notepad file into Word, voila! No web formatting.

If I am misunderstanding your issues, please ignore this post and carry on.  ;D
Thanks for an excellent idea.  I wonder if that works for images.  I don't know what the Microsoft problem I was having with copying & pasting images last week.  It's them, not me.

Biggest issues at my cranky moment right now are:
-Not having a "properties" field when I right click in Chrome or IE on the laptop.
-Not seeing any branding on any browser.  Everything else in the world is branded.  I should see a brand name on my screen.  This isn't a communist country.
-Not remembering Cntl-A for copy in Chrome.  It's not a keyboard shortcut, either, bec there is no other way to copy.  Stupid.  I love command codes as much as any fast keyboarder, but there should also be a mouse way.

Thanks for a great suggestion though.  I love Notepad apps and websites!