Author Topic: Ellgab vs Bellgab  (Read 182544 times)

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
Re: Ellgab vs Bellgab
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
I find it so strange that you think MV dislikes BellGab being up again.  ???

Surely if he couldn't stand it, it would be closed.
He may like Bellgab being reopened, but does he like the way it is going? I am asking because I don't really know the answer. I certainly can't speak for him but it seems like he is different now then he was from before the shutdown. It just doesn't seem like he is having fun with it.

If by chance he is happy with it now, then more power to him. However, if he is not happy with it, he needs to decide what direction he wants it to go, take action, and change it. Perhaps he is in that gray area where it's not good enough to be happy with it but it is not bad enough to do anything about it (I would much rather be in the "it's bad enough" position than that gray middle area because the "bad enough" position gives me leverage to make myself change a bad situation).

I will say that my viewpoint comes from years of forum experience and my emphasis is on member participation, member experience, and metrics necessary for a forum's growth and survival. Maybe MV is happy with the current forum and numbers. For me with my viewpoint, I would not be.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »
I have to admit that it’s odd that one of the big complaints over on BG about EG was that people were banned willy nilly as it were...now I don’t follow the stats on who is banned on EG (no idea how one would do that) but it would appear the the majority of regular posters do manage to be able to carry on unbanned, unlike the ban fest that seems to be happening over on BG.

Point taken - Bellgab is generally Fight Club. And historically wasn't it mostly so in years past when you were there?

Bart is not a dictator, we know what is acceptable and what isn’t, and we are respectful of one another. If that means it’s a bit boring ...well it appears to be a lot more fun here than it does on BG currently.
It's his server, so it's his call, just as MV does on Bellgab.

The notion of BG as some bastion of "free speech" was basically coined by Dr. Md. as a cudgel to bludgeon others with in the name of nothing more than his own internal anger. He had few if any things to say about Art, Heather, and certainly not the paranormal. He loathed Dave with a passion unrelated to anything Dave ever did to him or anyone else for that matter. It's fine to dislike the MITD format due to shorter form interviews, but Md. was way past that. And when he partnered with Brig the bans came rapidly and regularly. But it's MV's private zoo, so there is no first amendment protection nor mandate.  :-X

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2019, 01:35:27 PM »
I think he loves the click-through bucks, as to the rest of it...probably more of a pain than anything. :-\
With the numbers for these forums, I find it difficult to believe any significant money is being made. So if you are running a forum like these, you need to have fun with it and/or view it as a public service.

Azzerae

• Nursery Resident
  • KNYE
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2019, 01:38:33 PM »
I don’t really know or even had any interaction with MV. Just seems like every week someone is moaning about one ban or another.

He’s actually a very nice, genuine, down to earth fellow. Eccentric, most certainly, but overall a sweet person with a good heart. He can be hard too, at times, but I’d say that’s because of how shitty people out there are in the real world ... it can leave the best of us jaded, can it not?
not well-liked, but right

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
Point taken - Bellgab is generally Fight Club. And historically wasn't it mostly so in years past when you were there?
It's his server, so it's his call, just as MV does on Bellgab.

The notion of BG as some bastion of "free speech" was basically coined by Dr. Md. as a cudgel to bludgeon others with in the name of nothing more than his own internal anger. He had few if any things to say about Art, Heather, and certainly not the paranormal. He loathed Dave with a passion unrelated to anything Dave ever did to him or anyone else for that matter. It's fine to dislike the MITD format due to shorter form interviews, but Md. was way past that. And when he partnered with Brig the bans came rapidly and regularly. But it's MV's private zoo, so there is no first amendment protection nor mandate.  :-X

It was rough and ready for sure, maybe the microcosm that it is now I notice the grumbling about bans more, the pool is shallower so you hear more flapping from the fishies :)
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
He may like Bellgab being reopened, but does he like the way it is going? I am asking because I don't really know the answer. I certainly can't speak for him but it seems like he is different now then he was from before the shutdown. It just doesn't seem like he is having fun with it.

If by chance he is happy with it now, then more power to him. However, if he is not happy with it, he needs to decide what direction he wants it to go, take action, and change it. Perhaps he is in that gray area where it's not good enough to be happy with it but it is not bad enough to do anything about it (I would much rather be in the "it's bad enough" position than that gray middle area because the "bad enough" position gives me leverage to make myself change a bad situation).

I will say that my viewpoint comes from years of forum experience and my emphasis is on member participation, member experience, and metrics necessary for a forum's growth and survival. Maybe MV is happy with the current forum and numbers. For me with my viewpoint, I would not be.
Consider, save for visits from Starr, Dh and Roswells, Art there was little regular feminine activity except Brig's KON summaries. After Heather went dark Brig lost her zeitgeist and had to branch out, to... ::)

Remember back when the summer shutdown came the ladies left and opted ftmp not to return? That rendered the forum down to primarily male energy. Ever been to dog park and seen an unstable fear biter? That was Dr. Md. I think MV ran with that as long as he could and must have seen forum metrics dwindle. It was pretty clear that even cat talk was sniffed at when Spookcat finally left. So your gray area observation is apt.

Do you feel that these types of forums require a bonded podcast or radio audience in order to achieve and retain critical mass?

By observation Bart seems to have invested in quite a few more toys here and went all in for the X-mas wootacular, so that has to have had some impact on members staying sticky, yes?

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »
It was rough and ready for sure, maybe the microcosm that it is now I notice the grumbling about bans more, the pool is shallower so you hear more flapping from the fishies :)
Ha! Good analogy, one needs deep enough water to properly troll. ;D

disclosure

• KIDD
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
Consider, save for visits from Starr, Dh and Roswells, Art there was little regular feminine activity except Brig's KON summaries. After Heather went dark Brig lost her zeitgeist and had to branch out, to... ::)

Remember back when the summer shutdown came the ladies left and opted ftmp not to return? That rendered the forum down to primarily male energy. Ever been to dog park and seen an unstable fear biter? That was Dr. Md. I think MV ran with that as long as he could and must have seen forum metrics dwindle. It was pretty clear that even cat talk was sniffed at when Spookcat finally left. So your gray area observation is apt.

Do you feel that these types of forums require a bonded podcast or radio audience in order to achieve and retain critical mass?

By observation Bart seems to have invested in quite a few more toys here and went all in for the X-mas wootacular, so that has to have had some impact on members staying sticky, yes?

You posted cats being mutilated don't you think that is why spookcat had enough?

disclosure

• KIDD
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
LMFAO! Willy nilly? Did you read some of the epithets that were permitted for weeks before the gavel came down? Nothing has changed, and bannings haven’t ramped up any great deal of late. It’s just that certain users have unraveled.

Perhaps it was that blood moon, or something in the stars. I just think certain EllGabber’s like to say MV is X, MV is Y.

If nothing changed then nobody would be banned and you would be posting about knockoffgab more today over there then spending your day doing your contrarian act on here.

disclosure

• KIDD
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2019, 02:00:58 PM »
Hi GS, are we collecting mac addys. again?   :D

It was wr250 who was accused and not gravity sucks. It's clear who you are because every post is breaking down what metron thinks ffs.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2019, 02:03:04 PM »
You posted cats being mutilated don't you think that is why spookcat had enough?
A fake gif was posted, few took it seriously as anything more. And when a fake one went up on dog being booted off a bridge - same thing. That was part of the edginess that was encouraged and also that gif was apologized for. What you may not know is that MV in a PM found it well within bounds and said "post more". True stuff.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2019, 02:04:41 PM »
It was wr250 who was accused and not gravity sucks. It's clear who you are because every post is breaking down what metron thinks ffs.
Other things were said on that matter even including White Crow. Pick and choose as you prefer. ::)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2019, 02:06:07 PM »

Exactly.

And I don’t know how wr250 got the reputation of providing La$ha with Mac addresses. He was banned from her forum before I was, and I didn’t last long.
Are we having fun yet?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2019, 02:19:08 PM »

Podcasts and related radio shows do give bumps in member participation. I would bet that every Gabcast or Bartcast increased member participation in the short term. Ditto the Wootacular and other creative things. Drama also adds to the count 8)

One thing to remember, we are talking about smaller niche forums. I have known many smaller forum owners who have their niche forums just for fun. They rarely, if ever, look at the numbers and don't care about growth and go with the flow. They are happy with it while it lasts and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. Maybe MV is one of those forum owners? I don't know. It just doesn't seem like he is enjoying the Bellgab ride though.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2019, 02:34:53 PM »
He’s actually a very nice, genuine, down to earth fellow. Eccentric, most certainly, but overall a sweet person with a good heart. He can be hard too, at times, but I’d say that’s because of how shitty people out there are in the real world ... it can leave the best of us jaded, can it not?
He could certainly be as you describe in person. Since I have never had any real interaction with him, I am only going on the posts I can see. I have known forum owners over the years that are the greatest people in person but in their forum persona come across as uncaring or strange. I have also known forum owners who are the nicest helpful people online but are jerks in person, so it works both ways.