Author Topic: Ellgab vs Bellgab  (Read 182494 times)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: Ellgab vs Bellgab
« Reply #405 on: February 15, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
For the first time in my adult life, I can't name four songs in the pop music Top Forty. You mention the decline, and you hear the same cliches: "all generations say that about kids' music" and "you just have to search for good music". Well, most of my generation didn't say that our generation's music stunk, and you shouldn't have to hunt for great tunes. Don McClean was about thirty years too early with "the day the music died" since we had many great songs since Buddy Holly and his fellow singers passed.
It's like trying to keep visitors can't see pics , please register or login
alive in a mason jar for too many nights next to your bedstand...

:'(

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #406 on: February 15, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »
I consider it the end of the golden period of R&R and the beginning of crap music - starting with disco.  The friend who introduced them to me and I were going to see them when they got to Spokane. 

I never did go see the band after the crash, it couldn't have been the same without Ronnie Van Zant.  Did they have any successful albums afterward?

Oh for sure they did and continue to.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/261760-Lynyrd-Skynyrd?filter_anv=0&subtype=Albums&type=Releases

https://bestclassicbands.com/lynyrd-skynyrd-plane-crash-10-20-17/

Following the deaths, the album made it to #5 but the toll of the crash was too much on the band, and they split up. Rossington, Collins, Wilkeson and Powell re-formed in 1980 and released two albums as the Rossington-Collins Band, with a woman, Dale Krantz, singing lead. In 1987, a full decade after the accident, a new Lynyrd Skynyrd was formed, with Rossington, Powell, Wilkeson and Pyle, plus the band’s original guitarist Ed King, and Ronnie Van Zant’s younger brother, Johnny. He and Rossington still lead a version of Lynyrd Skynyrd today, but most fans agree that nothing will ever top the classic lineup that was so horrifically impacted by a malfunctioning aircraft only four years into their run.

Lynyrd Skynyrd was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.

The cover for the album released immediately after their death is creepy foreshadowing defined:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That's guitarist Steve Gaines(RIP) sporting the largest flame to the center.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #407 on: February 15, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
Parallels to this in the current state of the movie industry. Sometimes it seem CGI, special effects, and other bells and whistles have taken the place of good solid acting by real people.

+1 !

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2019, 10:16:58 AM »
Today on the Bellgrab drama dais we find ranting VC triggered and off to the races again, lol:

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2019, 04:44:50 PM »
There are actually people out there who think the 80s were the best years for music, and (fewer) others who claim that for the 90s.  Haven't heard anyone make those claims for any period since.

I'm one of those people who think that the '80s were the best decade for all music. The '70s probably were the best for AOR rock. Except for alternative rock, it seems like most genres declined at some point after 9/11. Now, we're at the sad point where Drake and Ariana Grande are 2019's answer to Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, which proves that the ancient Mayans were right.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #410 on: February 15, 2019, 04:46:43 PM »
I like the "all music" qualifier. Not sure I completely agree, but as a Jazz fan I'm persuaded a bit. Suffice to say the 80s kick anything out today. 8)

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #411 on: February 15, 2019, 04:53:46 PM »
Most of the musical chart toppers in the last 15 - 20 years have fake (canned) drums, presets (amplifier simulators) in place of real guitar and bass amps) and autotuned vocals etc.   The human ear gets very wise to music that has had the humanity sucked right the fuck out of it and at the end of the day, even the most soul dead waste of space hip hopper knows he's been takin for a less than musical ride

I call it "processed music". It's the aural equivalent of Spam, and it tastes worse to your ears.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #412 on: February 15, 2019, 04:59:52 PM »
Parallels to this in the current state of the movie industry. Sometimes it seem CGI, special effects, and other bells and whistles have taken the place of good solid acting by real people.

I'm the same way about movies as I am about music now, and I'm absolutely clueless about current TV shows. Those might be my worst things when I play "Jeopardy". Speaking of present films, we need a new superhero flick like we need a hole in the head, which speaks to your good point about bells and whistles. It's telling that "Black Panther" is up for an Affirmative Action Oscar.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #413 on: February 15, 2019, 05:26:52 PM »
I like the "all music" qualifier. Not sure I completely agree, but as a Jazz fan I'm persuaded a bit. Suffice to say the 80s kick anything out today. 8)

I'm agnostic on jazz. Its fans always dissed my fave bands in high school, so I have a chip on my shoulder about "jazz snobs".  ;)

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #414 on: February 15, 2019, 06:50:41 PM »
Oh for sure they did and continue to.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/261760-Lynyrd-Skynyrd?filter_anv=0&subtype=Albums&type=Releases

https://bestclassicbands.com/lynyrd-skynyrd-plane-crash-10-20-17/

Following the deaths, the album made it to #5 but the toll of the crash was too much on the band, and they split up. Rossington, Collins, Wilkeson and Powell re-formed in 1980 and released two albums as the Rossington-Collins Band, with a woman, Dale Krantz, singing lead. In 1987, a full decade after the accident, a new Lynyrd Skynyrd was formed, with Rossington, Powell, Wilkeson and Pyle, plus the band’s original guitarist Ed King, and Ronnie Van Zant’s younger brother, Johnny. He and Rossington still lead a version of Lynyrd Skynyrd today, but most fans agree that nothing will ever top the classic lineup that was so horrifically impacted by a malfunctioning aircraft only four years into their run.

Lynyrd Skynyrd was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.

The cover for the album released immediately after their death is creepy foreshadowing defined:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That's guitarist Steve Gaines(RIP) sporting the largest flame to the center.

I realize the original band did the Street Survivors album, I meant did the others have any real commercial success (not that commercial success is the ultimate determination of worthiness).  I've listened to a couple albums put out in later years by the new lineup (it's been years) and my recollection is they were terrible.  And this is from someone who likes every track on every album put out by the original band.

I bought and still have the first Rossington-Collins record, and I've picked up a few of the Street Survivors albums with the flames at places like flea markets and garage sales over the years - I should be able to put together several mint albums from that collection.

Once, long after that album cover had been recalled, I came home from school and went to the mall.  The JC Penny there had a some record bins in the basement that no one ever looked at.  There must have been 30 Street Survivors albums with the flames there.  Brand new, still in the plastic wrapper.  I knew to buy them, but had no money. 

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #415 on: February 15, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »
Musical discussion is fantastic ain't it! But perhaps we could rein it in and get back on track to discussing which forum is the real puppy kicker.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #416 on: February 15, 2019, 07:33:36 PM »
In the 1970s there must have been 50 great bans, each putting out at least one album a year, plus live albums.  Meaning usually at least a couple awesome albums came out every week or so. 

Did that happen in the 80s, or any time since?  No.  There were an endless parade of hot women on MTV vids, I'll give you that

That last sentence sounds like something a "get off my lawn" Baby Boomer would say. The '80s had a ton of great hard rock and heavy metal bands and songs, as well as CDs. Even album rock (AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Van Halen) was close to the Me Decade. Judas Priest hit their stride then when they released "British Steel". Guns And Roses and Metallica appeared on the scene, and Iron Maiden was huge in the UK. You had great new artists (Depeche Mode, U2, REM, Simple Minds) and great old artists (Rolling Stones, Kinks, Paul McCartney, ZZ Top), as well as great cusp artists (Cars, Police, Blondie, Talking Heads) playing on the same radio stations. Also, new wave, synth pop, hard core, hip hop, goth, rockabilly, reggae, and ska could be heard on the airwaves during this decade, and college rock (the Cure, the Smiths, Violent Femmes, etc.) was huge, which gave birth to the alternative rock scene. Man, it was the Golden Age of music, and it had much more going for it than hot chicks on MTV, although that was fun too.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #417 on: February 15, 2019, 07:35:09 PM »
Musical discussion is fantastic ain't it! But perhaps we could rein it in and get back on track to discussing which forum is the real puppy kicker.

It's cool. I might start a new thread on the subject or a like topic.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #418 on: February 15, 2019, 08:14:39 PM »
That last sentence sounds like something a "get off my lawn" Baby Boomer would say. The '80s had a ton of great hard rock and heavy metal bands and songs, as well as CDs. Even album rock (AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Van Halen) was close to the Me Decade. Judas Priest hit their stride then when they released "British Steel". Guns And Roses and Metallica appeared on the scene, and Iron Maiden was huge in the UK. You had great new artists (Depeche Mode, U2, REM, Simple Minds) and great old artists (Rolling Stones, Kinks, Paul McCartney, ZZ Top), as well as great cusp artists (Cars, Police, Blondie, Talking Heads) playing on the same radio stations. Also, new wave, synth pop, hard core, hip hop, goth, rockabilly, reggae, and ska could be heard on the airwaves during this decade, and college rock (the Cure, the Smiths, Violent Femmes, etc.) was huge, which gave birth to the alternative rock scene. Man, it was the Golden Age of music, and it had much more going for it than hot chicks on MTV, although that was fun too.

Yeahhh, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Guns And Roses, Metallica, Depeche Mode, U2, REM, Simple Minds, Cars, Police, Blondie, Talking Heads, the Cure, the Smiths, Violent Femmes - the ones you listed that are truly of the 80s... I just don't think it's comparable, or close, let alone superior.  Out of that I'd take Talking Heads, and I guess Van Halen, but they'd have been invisible in the 70s.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #419 on: February 15, 2019, 08:27:27 PM »
Yeahhh, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Guns And Roses, Metallica, Depeche Mode, U2, REM, Simple Minds, Cars, Police, Blondie, Talking Heads, the Cure, the Smiths, Violent Femmes - the ones you listed that are truly of the 80s... I just don't think it's comparable, or close, let alone superior.  Out of that I'd take Talking Heads, and I guess Van Halen, but they'd have been invisible in the 70s.

Someone better hurry up an mention Devo or I am going to cop an attitude.

Glad no one mentioned Genesis.
Are we having fun yet?