Author Topic: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.  (Read 41202 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2019, 12:24:36 AM »
I've been mean to KSM before.  Why would I hold back now? 

How do you take the heat in Texas during summer if the power goes out?  Is there a charity program for people who can't afford A/C units in Texas?

I don’t know. When I moved down here not everyone had AC. It could get miserable. I’ve been hotter in other places but never with the oppressive humidity we can have here. I have a portable generator and window AC as a backup. Needed it for about 5 days after Ike.
Are we having fun yet?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2019, 12:27:33 AM »
I don’t know. When I moved down here not everyone had AC. It could get miserable. I’ve been hotter in other places but never with the oppressive humidity we can have here. I have a portable generator and window AC as a backup. Needed it for about 5 days after Ike.
I like cellars, and of course, trees.  Glad you had it after the hurricane!  @GravitySucks have a good night.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2019, 12:31:37 AM »
In home construction, 3/8" gap is acceptable.  Up to 4/8", actually.  That is the industry standard.
Important muscles are between the ears and on the left ring finger...
Have a good night you all.  I've been on 12-hour shifts, including tomorrow.

Night quackers.
Are we having fun yet?

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2019, 09:26:47 AM »
In home construction, 3/8" gap is acceptable.  Up to 4/8", actually.  That is the industry standard.

Are you sure?

https://www.nwfa.org/NWFA-NOFMA%20Unfinished%20Standard%20Final-April%202018.pdf

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »
Expansion gaps vary from product to product. Everything from the structure the floors are being installed in to the climate ETC have to be considered, especially when it comes to real, hard wood products.  Another thing to consider is the length of the row of planks... a 50 FT wide row of 1" plank hardwood will need a larger allowance than a 10 FT row, think about it.   The heated online spats "fights" between contractor to contractor about such issues are downright hilarious. Nothing more than a dick measuring contest, in which case.. I would win.  ;D ;D ;D

There is NO real worldwide "industry standard"

PS  I'd like to thank @GravitySucks for this BS debate ::) and for starting Sofia on another conversation that she just, can't, climb.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2019, 02:11:02 PM »
@KSM32 A question for our resident flooring expert: For installing new vinyl planks in a kitchen area, would you remove the old linoleum roll flooring (on concrete)? My first impression was to remove it and the glue remnants but someone said it wasn't necessary to remove it and to install the new flooring over it. Would there be any benefit to leaving it? I am a do-it-right-the-first-time type of person, so if removing it first is the way to go, that's what I will do.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2019, 03:12:29 PM »
One thing to consider - old linoleum often had asbestos in it. If so and it's not bubbled or uneven, I'd leave it be.

I bet KSM will tell you to go with natural wood though... ;)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »
@KSM32 A question for our resident flooring expert: For installing new vinyl planks in a kitchen area, would you remove the old linoleum roll flooring (on concrete)? My first impression was to remove it and the glue remnants but someone said it wasn't necessary to remove it and to install the new flooring over it. Would there be any benefit to leaving it? I am a do-it-right-the-first-time type of person, so if removing it first is the way to go, that's what I will do.
@MaxPower
Like 26H said, if it's not bubbling or coming up in any way just go right over it. If you see it coming up in a few small places like corners, just cut off the loose stuff and put down a thin layer of leveling compound in its place (no big deal)  I must ask! Are you talkin g about a click-lock plank or a glue down product? If you're thinking glue down? It has to be done right, there is no margin for error with the adhesive and plank setting. If you have any door jambs to navigate around? Undercut them so you can get the flooring UNDER the jamb as opposed to around it. If you don't have an undercut saw you can rent one for the day.  Sorry for the filibuster :-\

If you're going to DIY take a before and after shot to post. Best of luck to you.

@26 horses A buddy of mine put real wood throughout his house including the kitchen and bathrooms and it looked amazing until one of the toilets wax ring began to leak and water spread out under the floor. He caught it about six weeks after the leak started. Yikes!  I think wood in the kitchen is just fine and it looks beautiful, but bathrooms? Yeah. he was just asking for trouble. All the moisture ventilation in the world wouldn't have saved him.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »
@MaxPower
Like 26H said, if it's not bubbling or coming up in any way just go right over it. If you see it coming up in a few small places like corners, just cut off the loose stuff and put down a thin layer of leveling compound in its place (no big deal)  I must ask! Are you talkin g about a click-lock plank or a glue down product? If you're thinking glue down? It has to be done right, there is no margin for error with the adhesive and plank setting. If you have any door jambs to navigate around? Undercut them so you can get the flooring UNDER the jamb as opposed to around it. If you don't have an undercut saw you can rent one for the day.  Sorry for the filibuster :-\

Very complete answer.

And these are not cheap saws, so renting is wise:

https://www.amazon.com/Crain-Heavy-Duty-Undercut-Formerly-825NEW/dp/B07C7G2Y9F?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07C7G2Y9F

If you're going to DIY take a before and after shot to post. Best of luck to you.

@26 horses A buddy of mine put real wood throughout his house including the kitchen and bathrooms and it looked amazing until one of the toilets wax ring began to leak and water spread out under the floor. He caught it about six weeks after the leak started. Yikes!  I think wood in the kitchen is just fine and it looks beautiful, but bathrooms? Yeah. he was just asking for trouble. All the moisture ventilation in the world wouldn't have saved him.

Uggh...

I've got a friend whose icemaker went bad - same thing in the kitchen. They caught it quickly, but it always pays to have enough spare planks to be able to replace, and they did. Baths and kitchens are tile only territory for me.  :-X

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »
One thing to consider - old linoleum often had asbestos in it. If so and it's not bubbled or uneven, I'd leave it be.
Good point. Fortunately, this linoleum was made after asbestos use was phased out. There are a few spots than would have to be prepped if it was left down.

I've got a friend whose icemaker went bad - same thing in the kitchen. They caught it quickly, but it always pays to have enough spare planks to be able to replace, and they did. Baths and kitchens are tile only territory for me.  :-X
Another good point about keeping a box or two of spares, especially if you want replacements to match. Maybe make that 3 or 4 boxes :)

@MaxPower

I will be getting the click-lock planks. We will probably have someone install it since it is essentially a whole house project and while furniture is moved around or out, I will be busy with paint and some minor remodeling prior to and one step ahead of the flooring install. The significant other says she prefers we have the flooring installed by someone because they would do the install much quicker than I would  :)  which is true, so it is important to keep the peace at home :) . I plan on taking before and after photos. Hoping it will turn out well like some of the photos you have posted in this thread.

I must admit when my significant other first brought up the new planking materials that she had looked into, I told her I was skeptical about the durability and waterproof claims but from what you have said I am much more confident that they are good products. Thanks again for the info...

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2019, 08:26:09 PM »
Good point. Fortunately, this linoleum was made after asbestos use was phased out. There are a few spots than would have to be prepped if it was left down.
I will be getting the click-lock planks. We will probably have someone install it since it is essentially a whole house project and while furniture is moved around or out, I will be busy with paint and some minor remodeling prior to and one step ahead of the flooring install. The significant other says she prefers we have the flooring installed by someone because they would do the install much quicker than I would  :)  which is true, so it is important to keep the peace at home :) . I plan on taking before and after photos. Hoping it will turn out well like some of the photos you have posted in this thread.

I must admit when my significant other first brought up the new planking materials that she had looked into, I told her I was skeptical about the durability and waterproof claims but from what you have said I am much more confident that they are good products. Thanks again for the info...

I had laminate and ceramic tile installed about 20 years ago. Last month I had it all replaced with vinyl. I’m very happy with the installation. It took me a long time to get comfortable with the idea of installing vinyl.

I agree with @KSM32 about the necessity of an undercut saw. I have one that used to install bamboo flooring in my office. Ask the installer if you can see his jamb saw. If he doesn’t know what you are talking about find another installer.
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »
@MaxPower Vinyl planking is almost the standard for many bars and restaurants these days because of its durability. You should be all good :)  Glad you're getting a "pro" to do it.  One thing.... hehehe  flooring installers HATE it when the customer stands over them all day watching them work. And it's even worse when they don't talk ;D ;D ;D  I'm not suggesting that you do this but I kind of hope you do ;D ;D  Make that bastard squirm!!

@26 horses You posted my main jamb saw. Those are the absolute best.  The blade replacements are pricey (about $60) and the diamond blades for undercutting brick and stone can get up to $100 and sometimes they last only one job :o  Depends on the size of the hearth and what it's made of.  Undercutting stone is the dustiest job ever! Swiffering wouldn't cut it.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
I agree with @KSM32 about the necessity of an undercut saw. I have one that used to install bamboo flooring in my office. Ask the installer if you can see his jam saw. If he doesn’t know what you are talking about find another installer.
@GravitySucks Some old timers still pull out a little hand saw for those door jambs and they can grouchy when asked why they don't just get something that they can PLUG IN to the wall!! Like we're the pussies for not doing it manually taking up an extra hour or two of our day. Either way those guys do nice work. Maybe they just don't want to go home as early as some of us. Somehow I can understand that being as they are very close to retirement and dreading the long days of Scrabble with the wife..

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2019, 09:31:23 AM »
I had laminate and ceramic tile installed about 20 years ago. Last month I had it all replaced with vinyl. I’m very happy with the installation. It took me a long time to get comfortable with the idea of installing vinyl.

I agree with @KSM32 about the necessity of an undercut saw. I have one that used to install bamboo flooring in my office. Ask the installer if you can see his jamb saw. If he doesn’t know what you are talking about find another installer.
@GravitySucks Thanks for the info about your experience. Our flooring is about the same age as yours and it's good to hear the replacement turned out well for you. Good comment on the undercut saw.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »
@MaxPower Vinyl planking is almost the standard for many bars and restaurants these days because of its durability. You should be all good :)  Glad you're getting a "pro" to do it.  One thing.... hehehe  flooring installers HATE it when the customer stands over them all day watching them work. And it's even worse when they don't talk ;D ;D ;D  I'm not suggesting that you do this but I kind of hope you do ;D ;D  Make that bastard squirm!!
  :)