Author Topic: You Pick The Decade(s)  (Read 24999 times)

Gd5150

• I Am A Stupid Cunt
  • Elluminati
Re: You Pick The Decade(s)
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 09:29:18 AM »
I would mention the abomination known as DOS, but... ::) ::) ::)

I got my start on the Commodore 128 and then off and running with the Amiga. A computer with graphics and sound that were 10 years ahead of the PC. An amazing machine at the time. Now it’s an iPhone and iMac. I really do despise the PC and how it’s held back computing for 4 decades. The joke that is Windows and all the unnecessary versions. It’s such a turd.

Movies are a tough category. I like the 70s a lot as well. When you look at movies that changed the industry there were several in the 1970s. Everything was grittier being shot on film. Lenses and film couldn’t shoot as well in low light so you end up with the darkness of The Godfather. Star Wars was an industry changer. Close Encounters and it’s amazing cinematography. Jaws just because it’s still a kickass adventure. The scary movies of the 70s were quite troubling. You left the theatre moved, and not in a good way. The Exorcist is freaky in any decade but at the time of its release must have just melted peoples minds.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 09:55:38 AM »
I got my start on the Commodore 128 and then off and running with the Amiga. A computer with graphics and sound that were 10 years ahead of the PC. An amazing machine at the time. Now it’s an iPhone and iMac. I really do despise the PC and how it’s held back computing for 4 decades. The joke that is Windows and all the unnecessary versions. It’s such a turd.

The dozer is an absolute pig, even in its better iterations (W7 and XP)... :-\

And I firmly believe that Red Hat did more damage to Linux's shot at the mainstream than the command line could ever muster.

Movies are a tough category. I like the 70s a lot as well. When you look at movies that changed the industry there were several in the 1970s. Everything was grittier being shot on film. Lenses and film couldn’t shoot as well in low light so you end up with the darkness of The Godfather. Star Wars was an industry changer. Close Encounters and it’s amazing cinematography. Jaws just because it’s still a kickass adventure. The scary movies of the 70s were quite troubling. You left the theatre moved, and not in a good way. The Exorcist is freaky in any decade but at the time of its release must have just melted peoples minds.

70s movies were oft times deceptively edgy and deeply insightful and then seemingly lost amongst the mega pics Like "Jaws" and "The Sting". The age of the blockbuster was born.

Consider quirky pics like:

"Scarecrow"

"Chinatown"

"5 Easy Pieces"

"The Last Picture Show"

"3 Women"

"Brewster McCloud"

...etc...

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 10:30:10 AM »

In the 70's, you would see the movie and read the book. Or Vice versa. I read the novel The Godfather before I saw the movie. I read JAWS and The Exorcist after seeing these movies. The Exorcist, the book is 10 times more frightening than the movie.
In 2018, after watching Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse film, do you go home and read a comic book?

Gd5150

• I Am A Stupid Cunt
  • Elluminati
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
The movie Almost Famous does a great job at capturing the experience that was early 70s classic rock. Buying an album and truly savoring it. The artwork. The bigger than life band members. Sitting in a dark room “with a candle lit” and listing to the story it told. So cool. This kind of slow mythotical experience is complexly gone today in all art. It’s sad. I do think as we get older we learn how to appreciate the finer intricacies of music and film and art.

And of course Lester Bangs as played by Philllip Seymour Hoffman is absolutely classic. The way he rips Rolling Stone magazine is priceless.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
The movie Almost Famous does a great job at capturing the experience that was early 70s classic rock. Buying an album and truly savoring it. The artwork. The bigger than life band members. Sitting in a dark room “with a candle lit” and listing to the story it told. So cool. This kind of slow mythotical experience is complexly gone today in all art. It’s sad. I do think as we get older we learn how to appreciate the finer intricacies of music and film and art.

And of course Lester Bangs as played by Philllip Seymour Hoffman is absolutely classic. The way he rips Rolling Stone magazine is priceless.

+1!

"Almost Famous" like "Dazed & Confused" really "gets it".

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »
1940’s - Big Band music, fashion, old Hollywood
1950’s - Hollywood movies, mid-century modern homes, style, Tiki culture.
1960’s - MUSIC!!!
1970’s - Best decade for rock, also some of the best TV shows, comedy, drama, variety shows
1980’s - Themed restaurants were interesting,  some good music as well, but the introduction of electric drums, synth-everything was a bit excessive and off-putting.
1990’s - Grunge made me miss the 80’s sound!  Went back to listening to 60’s - 80’s music.
2000’s - Indie pop music, especially from SoCal.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 11:13:54 AM »
This one isn’t up for debate.  Vinyl records sounds better! The art work of an vinyl album will give you some clues to what you are going to experience.  With vinyl records the details are not lost and quality is not reduced--not compressed. 
My brother is in the music business. He has expressed his frustration with creating a "cover" for one of his CD's that will catch your eye in a 2 inch by 2 inch frame work suitable for internet use. This is not progress.

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
This one isn’t up for debate.  Vinyl records sounds better! The art work of an vinyl album will give you some clues to what you are going to experience.  With vinyl records the details are not lost and quality is not reduced--not compressed. 
My brother is in the music business. He has expressed his frustration with creating a "cover" for one of his CD's that will catch your eye in a 2 inch by 2 inch frame work suitable for internet use. This is not progress.
Yes!!! Totally agree!

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »
+1!

"Almost Famous" like "Dazed & Confused" really "gets it".

What is funny is that, as in "Dazed", the people in the decade think the others were better. If you haven't seen "Everybody Wants Some" also by Linklater I suggested it strongly. Also a very true experience of college life in Centex the early 80's, and in many ways, held over for a decade to some degree.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »

Yabutt, you gotta keep up with using this on 'em:

Try making this work in 2x2:

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2019, 04:23:50 PM »
Agreed on the Nickelback thing, I think it just kind of became cool to bash them, and.. they couldn't buy house$ fast enough.

It was cool to bash Journey in the '80s, and it was cool to bash hair metal in the '90s. Like the man says, it's hip to be square.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »
It was cool to bash Journey in the '80s, and it was cool to bash hair metal in the '90s. Like the man says, it's hip to be square.
Not so many folks remember Journey started as a 70s band. Greg Rollie used to be Santana's keyboardist and singer too, iirc.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 04:28:04 PM »
You KNOW where this sis heading, right?

It's heading to a huge decrease in testosterone. Pajama Boy looks like half the guys on MSNBC.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »
And yet you are right. It forced us to see ourselves through the eyes of our enemies and in some perverse manner we as a society/nation/state became self-loathing.

Oh we were patriotic at the outset, plenty of fight back, and then...meh...we somehow developed a national Stockholm Syndrome and the media pounced on it as the final sucker punch to a system (capitalism) that they despised from the outset. They literally turned us against oursleves, and write a big fat check for themselves in the process.

We have NOT recovered, even with the hopeful, and perhaps last gasp, of Trumpism. :'(

It's extremely difficult to recover from the twin disasters of the Bush administration and the Obama administration. Those two calamities lasted for sixteen long years! The former brought us endless war, and the latter brought us endless strife. Hillary would have been the coup de grace.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »
This millennial generation needs a good cuppa: