Author Topic: The Legendary Art Bell  (Read 274952 times)

PB

• Ellevated
Re: The Legendary Art Bell
« Reply #630 on: April 10, 2019, 05:39:35 PM »
Initial Public Offering, when a company first goes public from being private and offers shares to the public in one of the trading platforms in the stock market. Usually sorta fixed, offers made to insiders at the best price, then the public gets the leftovers after they have already started to jack up the price of a share.  :P

And almost inevitably, once the buzz is over, at some point the shares of most companies fall to a price lower than the IPO price.  Usually before the 6 month lock up is over (when the insiders who didn't sell their shares during the IPO are allowed to sell them).

When the company sells more shares to the public, it called a Secondary Offering.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #631 on: April 10, 2019, 05:44:05 PM »
... Do you think someone really shot at him?...

To me, that's laughable.  I think he liked the idea of doing a show, but coming back realized he didn't want to do it anymore.  Instead of taking a huge amount of flack for quitting - yet again - he decided to go out in a blaze of glory.

That it backfired so completely, and turned him into a laughingstock in certain corners of the internet, is also part of his legacy.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »
Art's legacy is his body of work.  No one can simply copy another entertainer, athlete, etc, and become just like them, or we'd have seen someone do it by now.  I don't think we'd want that anyway.

Do you listen to the old shows?

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
  • Alpha Male Instructor/Professional Boomer
« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2019, 06:06:13 PM »
Q:Do you think someone really shot at him?

I'm not sure to tell you the truth. My Dad had COPD that contributed to his passing so I saw how struggling for each breath 24/7 could be a difficult thing to deal with especially for a broadcaster of his popularity doing live programs and maintain the quality he was known for. Art mentioned in some broadcasts he always wanted the best audio for his shows and was proud of the results. Then again, he also mentioned he was concerned for the safety of his family and I can relate to a statement like that. I was not his neighbor so it's just my take on things with admittedly really no first hand knowledge. Did anyone else in his neighborhood officially report the sounds of gunfire that night? It's the desert so sound especially at night will carry very well if close by. I really didn't follow that incident after Art spoke about it on the air.
Enjoying the continuing journey of discovering infinite diversity...

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #634 on: April 10, 2019, 06:08:56 PM »

I do sometimes. Still good. But especially if a "new" one pops up somewhere on the interwebs or I find one in the archives that I missed. I like the folks who recorded the whole show also. Sometimes I get confused and then realize the weather report or whatever is from 20years ago and not even about my area. Also the local commercials or local news is funny. Flashback. And, strangely, how much of the world hasn't changed: big "weather event," some bombings in the Middle East, traffic, some wars in the same places, illegal immigration, etc.

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #635 on: April 10, 2019, 06:09:54 PM »
Yes I do on the TuneIn app. At the end of my day just before I drift off at lights out. :)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »

I'm not sure to tell you the truth. My Dad had COPD that contributed to his passing so I saw how struggling for each breath 24/7 could be a difficult thing to deal with especially for a broadcaster of his popularity doing live programs and maintain the quality he was known for. Art mentioned in some broadcasts he always wanted the best audio for his shows and was proud of the results. Then again, he also mentioned he was concerned for the safety of his family and I can relate to a statement like that. I was not his neighbor so it's just my take on things with admittedly really no first hand knowledge.

I know what you mean. I can easily think that the COPD and age made it all hard, but the idea that someone actually was shooting at him is just horrible. I recall hearing that there was someone IDd as a suspect, pretty sad that the case wasn't solved. I'm hoping that the family has everything they need and want this weekend.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #637 on: April 10, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »

I'm not sure to tell you the truth. My Dad had COPD that contributed to his passing so I saw how struggling for each breath 24/7 could be a difficult thing to deal with especially for a broadcaster of his popularity doing live programs and maintain the quality he was known for. Art mentioned in some broadcasts he always wanted the best audio for his shows and was proud of the results. Then again, he also mentioned he was concerned for the safety of his family and I can relate to a statement like that. I was not his neighbor so it's just my take on things with admittedly really no first hand knowledge. Did anyone else in his neighborhood officially report the sounds of gunfire that night? It's the desert so sound especially at night will carry very well if close by. I really didn't follow that incident after Art spoke about it on the air.

And so sorry about your Dad, that had to be hard on you.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #638 on: April 10, 2019, 06:33:08 PM »
I do sometimes. Still good. But especially if a "new" one pops up somewhere on the interwebs or I find one in the archives that I missed. I like the folks who recorded the whole show also. Sometimes I get confused and then realize the weather report or whatever is from 20years ago and not even about my area. Also the local commercials or local news is funny. Flashback. And, strangely, how much of the world hasn't changed: big "weather event," some bombings in the Middle East, traffic, some wars in the same places, illegal immigration, etc.

My husband and I listened to many of them, but I'm sure not near all of them. That might be fun to try to do. His facebook page is still there.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #639 on: April 10, 2019, 06:34:01 PM »
Yes I do on the TuneIn app. At the end of my day just before I drift off at lights out. :)

Sounds nice. We've done it on weekends most.

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #640 on: April 10, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »
I know what you mean. I can easily think that the COPD and age made it all hard, but the idea that someone actually was shooting at him is just horrible. I recall hearing that there was someone IDd as a suspect, pretty sad that the case wasn't solved. I'm hoping that the family has everything they need and want this weekend.
Me too. I truly hope that his close family and friends can remember him as a family needs to on that day and not have to deal with unnecessary distractions or interruptions at their home. As for the unsolved case and suspects. Personally I think it's could be a member of the aluminum foil hat club if you catch my meaning. :)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #641 on: April 10, 2019, 07:01:26 PM »
Me too. I truly hope that his close family and friends can remember him as a family needs to on that day and not have to deal with unnecessary distractions or interruptions at their home. As for the unsolved case and suspects. Personally I think it's could be a member of the aluminum foil hat club if you catch my meaning. :)

Oh I do. How damn sad it is that people are so insensitive.

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #642 on: April 10, 2019, 07:05:15 PM »
And so sorry about your Dad, that had to be hard on you.
Thank you anniem. That was very kind of you to say. COPD does indeed make the day long struggling constantly to get air. He had a great sense of humor and I have nice memories of the past when I think of him and I sharing a laugh. I also share those moments with family and friends from time to time and it puts a smile on my face. We all know what it's like to deal with sorrow and heartache in one way or another. I prefer to enjoy the wonderful memories of him that pop up unexpectedly here and there as we travel the yellow brick road. (Insert Hippy moment of reflection): After all, from the moment after we are born, we only get one chance to do our best to get it right and enjoy life as best we can. Of course, some Art Bell open line callers might argue with my (one chance) statement. Said in my best Art Bell voice-" Tonight's show. Time travel". Wink..wink.

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #643 on: April 10, 2019, 07:18:22 PM »
Oh I do. How damn sad it is that people are so insensitive.
Sadly I think your right. We do seem to be living in a (it's all about me world) right now.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #644 on: April 10, 2019, 07:45:55 PM »

I haven't but always figured I would at some point