Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 592881 times)

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #1680 on: December 16, 2019, 01:05:59 PM »
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Ren

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1681 on: December 16, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »
I'm going to try this out tonight: https://cookieandkate.com/autumn-kale-salad-with-fennel-honeycrisp-and-goat-cheese/

That looks delicious and I never would have thought to use Maple syrup as a dressing!

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1682 on: December 16, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »
That looks delicious and I never would have thought to use Maple syrup as a dressing!
People often use it as the liquid sweetener in recipes. I usually reduce the amount bc I tend to favor more tart or acidic dressings, though this recipe has a lot of bitter greens in it so the first time I’m going to attempt to be faithful to the recipe.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Ren

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1683 on: December 16, 2019, 02:16:42 PM »
People often use it as the liquid sweetener in recipes. I usually reduce the amount bc I tend to favor more tart or acidic dressings, though this recipe has a lot of bitter greens in it so the first time I’m going to attempt to be faithful to the recipe.

I am trying further my knowledge about sugar replacements. I actually had a discussion today with someone about maple syrup being a great alternative. I read many sweeteners have an aftertaste and will mix sweeteners to avoid such problems.
Agave nectar is another great one. I  used to have a coffee place who would use that instead of even honey.
Maple syrup sounds like a great one.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #1684 on: December 16, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »

Maaaaple suuuuuuruuuuuup.

Eh, nevermind...

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1685 on: December 16, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »
I am trying further my knowledge about sugar replacements. I actually had a discussion today with someone about maple syrup being a great alternative. I read many sweeteners have an aftertaste and will mix sweeteners to avoid such problems.
Agave nectar is another great one. I  used to have a coffee place who would use that instead of even honey.
Maple syrup sounds like a great one.
Don’t be fooled. Sugar is sugar is sugar. The amount of processing and sourcing may be issues but don’t think because you’re eating a tablespoon of maple syrup instead of raw sugar you’re making a big difference to your body. Be careful of Karo, rice syrup, corn syrup because the glycemic index is crazy high. Hmm... I’ll have to look up maple’s glycemic index.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Ren

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1686 on: December 16, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
Don’t be fooled. Sugar is sugar is sugar. The amount of processing and sourcing may be issues but don’t think because you’re eating a tablespoon of maple syrup instead of raw sugar you’re making a big difference to your body. Be careful of Karo, rice syrup, corn syrup because the glycemic index is crazy high. Hmm... I’ll have to look up maple’s glycemic index.

True, I have been thinking more and more about how sugar raises your blood pressure.
What are your ideas on monk fruit ?

Yeah, my idea is to cut sugar intake down and get something more natural.. if possible.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1687 on: December 16, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »

Ok, it looks like maple syrup has a lower glycemic index than table sugar. Honey too. I stand corrected.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1688 on: December 16, 2019, 02:40:24 PM »
True, I have been thinking more and more about how sugar raises your blood pressure.

Yeah, my idea is to cut sugar intake down and get something more natural.. if possible.
Cutting sugar is pretty easy if you eat at home and don’t buy a lot of processed foods. It’s nearly impossible otherwise- at least for me. The cool thing is once you stop eating a lot of sugar or salt you realize how salty and overly sweet most things are and it kind of grosses you out so it’s easy to keep in the non sweet/ non salty cycle.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1689 on: December 16, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »

I know nothing about monk fruit! What is the angle on it?
In general, I just try and feed my body nutrient dense foods. If you get your sugars from fruits then you get fiber too which is good. Except this time of year that all goes out the window- pass the walnut fudge!!!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Ren

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1690 on: December 16, 2019, 03:24:26 PM »
Cutting sugar is pretty easy if you eat at home and don’t buy a lot of processed foods. It’s nearly impossible otherwise- at least for me. The cool thing is once you stop eating a lot of sugar or salt you realize how salty and overly sweet most things are and it kind of grosses you out so it’s easy to keep in the non sweet/ non salty cycle.

It is easier when you are able to stay at home and prep your meals!!!  :)
unfortunately, the outside world has sugar sprinkled in everything.
Yeah, when I cut sugar out and would see donuts! The amount of sugar thrown everywhere is appalling when you really think about it.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1691 on: December 16, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »
It is easier when you are able to stay at home and prep your meals!!!  :)
unfortunately, the outside world has sugar sprinkled in everything.
Yeah, when I cut sugar out and would see donuts! The amount of sugar thrown everywhere is appalling when you really think about it.

I became friends with a Chinese restaurant owner.  White cane sugar in almost everything!  Yummy!
Eh, nevermind...

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #1692 on: December 16, 2019, 04:07:13 PM »
I became friends with a Chinese restaurant owner.  White cane sugar in almost everything!  Yummy!

And MSG. Double Yummy  :P
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1693 on: December 16, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »
And MSG. Double Yummy  :P

Heh heh...  It makes Corona & lime or Tsing Tao sufferable.
Eh, nevermind...

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
« Reply #1694 on: December 16, 2019, 07:11:59 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login