Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 592933 times)

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #1695 on: December 16, 2019, 10:05:18 PM »
I am trying further my knowledge about sugar replacements. I actually had a discussion today with someone about maple syrup being a great alternative. I read many sweeteners have an aftertaste and will mix sweeteners to avoid such problems.
Agave nectar is another great one. I  used to have a coffee place who would use that instead of even honey.
Maple syrup sounds like a great one.

You might try Stevia, it's really good and a natural, non-chemical substitute. Possibly easier to digest than agave.

Also there's something called Just Like Sugar, which is actually made from Chickory and tastes exactly like the sugar none of us ought to be consuming.

Check it out!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #1696 on: December 16, 2019, 10:07:09 PM »
True, I have been thinking more and more about how sugar raises your blood pressure.
What are your ideas on monk fruit ?

Yeah, my idea is to cut sugar intake down and get something more natural.. if possible.

Monk fruit is really good but can get expensive. The protein powder I need to take every morning to keep in balance has a version with a low amount of sugar, and one which is sugar and stevia free, using monkfruit. That one is more expensive, but works really well for me and tastes good, too. Go figure.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #1697 on: December 16, 2019, 10:12:32 PM »
Cutting sugar is pretty easy if you eat at home and don’t buy a lot of processed foods. It’s nearly impossible otherwise- at least for me. The cool thing is once you stop eating a lot of sugar or salt you realize how salty and overly sweet most things are and it kind of grosses you out so it’s easy to keep in the non sweet/ non salty cycle.

Because of my history of surgery for Crohn's years back (which I have totally healed for years now, btw) I can't deal with most spices. It's really hard outside the house to get food that is not heavily spiced with pepper (which I can't tolerate at all), garlic, and other strong flavored spices. The benefit of my very simple clean diet is I really taste my food exactly as it is... and guess what? When nicely prepared, most food doesn't need much spicing to taste really flavorful!

There's a local restaurant we go to fairly often where the owner/chef has customized a pasta and chicken dish for me made with a light wine sauce. He put a button in their menu computer called "Blandissimo" in my honor, which made us all laugh. He calls it hospital food, he loves spices and flavors. But you know what? It's totally delicious and satisfying to me, and I'm tickled he's done that. A win for all!  ;D

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #1698 on: December 16, 2019, 11:06:37 PM »
Soursop.

A counter-cancer suggestion made to me.  Explained to me as fighting sugars that feed cancers.  I should start again as pre-holidays diet. 
Eh, nevermind...

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #1699 on: December 16, 2019, 11:27:59 PM »
Heh heh...  It makes Corona & lime or Tsing Tao sufferable.

I love the occasional Modelo Negro. I always have one during Super Bowl. I've actually been to Qing Dao. The home of Tsing Tao beer
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1700 on: December 17, 2019, 06:46:40 AM »
I love the occasional Modelo Negro. I always have one during Super Bowl. I've actually been to Qing Dao. The home of Tsing Tao beer

Whoop-di-doo, I've been to Tecate, Golden, Colorado AND St. Louis, Missouri... home of Löwenbräu!
🙄😁🙄

So, I have to presume that Qing Dao actually had a good, clean water supply. Right?
Eh, nevermind...

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #1701 on: December 17, 2019, 07:05:50 AM »
I'm having one of those mornings where I would like to stay in my pjs drinking coffee by the fireplace and not do much else. Wouldn't that be nice?
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1702 on: December 17, 2019, 07:17:15 AM »
I'm having one of those mornings where I would like to stay in my pjs drinking coffee by the fireplace and not do much else. Wouldn't that be nice?

Silk pj’s are the best pj’s
Are we having fun yet?

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1703 on: December 17, 2019, 07:18:38 AM »
Pajamagram Nudies insufficient? 🙄🙄🙄
Eh, nevermind...

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1704 on: December 17, 2019, 07:22:48 AM »
agreed
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1705 on: December 17, 2019, 07:43:55 AM »
Well, it's been fun. I need to go to my jumpboard class and then get my Christmas on. I'm having trouble catching the spirit of the holidays but remain optimistic. I WILL decorate today...maybe.  ;D
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Ren

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1706 on: December 17, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »
Monk fruit is really good but can get expensive. The protein powder I need to take every morning to keep in balance has a version with a low amount of sugar, and one which is sugar and stevia free, using monkfruit. That one is more expensive, but works really well for me and tastes good, too. Go figure.

Yeah, it seems to be a great natural alternative to sugar. Good to know, it is good for you and has a great taste. Now, I will try it in baking.

Ren

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1707 on: December 17, 2019, 07:53:44 AM »
Well, it's been fun. I need to go to my jumpboard class and then get my Christmas on. I'm having trouble catching the spirit of the holidays but remain optimistic. I WILL decorate today...maybe.  ;D

How did the salad turn out?

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #1708 on: December 17, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
Whoop-di-doo, I've been to Tecate, Golden, Colorado AND St. Louis, Missouri... home of Löwenbräu!
🙄😁🙄

So, I have to presume that Qing Dao actually had a good, clean water supply. Right?

I highly doubt it. We had to boil water everywhere in China. But Qing Dao was pretty. It's on the sea and had been a German colony so lots of Bavarian looking architecture. My most favorite place there was a Taoist monastery. The coolest monks I ever hope to see

You mean Missouri gave their beer a German name? How Globalist! 🙀
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1709 on: December 17, 2019, 11:22:19 AM »
Ten inches o snow yesterday and I shoveled the entire front and back twice! Woke up this morning to +5 and rainy as Noah's ark.

Snow removal efforts were completely unnecessary. I want my two hours back ::)