Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 592763 times)

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #1725 on: December 17, 2019, 02:10:44 PM »
Why can't the people in my family try different things?  They say they hate it, but yet never tried it.  No matter what it is.
They don’t sound very fun. Annie will not approve.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #1726 on: December 17, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #1727 on: December 17, 2019, 02:14:55 PM »

They are not fun anymore.  :P   Used to be...most of them.  Not sure what happened.  It really is depressing at times.   :-\

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1728 on: December 17, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »
No, just being silly/absurd.

If you ever go to Tecate, just be aware that Tecate beer tastes different in Mexico than in America. Apparently, north of the border drinkers get a much better tasting beer. The locals call it toilet water or something similar...

In college our team had a road game in Canada.  The Moosehead, Molson, Labatt's, even Budweiser were markedly better than the same brands on our side of the border.  Turns out the Canadian beer was 5.0%, and the beer sold in the US was 3.2

Imagine, an almost drinkable Budwiper

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1729 on: December 17, 2019, 04:55:01 PM »
I highly doubt it. We had to boil water everywhere in China. But Qing Dao was pretty. It's on the sea and had been a German colony so lots of Bavarian looking architecture. My most favorite place there was a Taoist monastery. The coolest monks I ever hope to see

You mean Missouri gave their beer a German name? How Globalist! 🙀

Well, the Chinese gave German beer a Chinese name.  The original Tsingtao brewery was disassembled in Germany, shipped to China, and reassembled there.

First time I went to China, Tsingtao was for export only.  Every town seemed like they had their own beer, made their own orange soda, and had their own yogurt for sale in the morning (and in some places that's about all they had).  I think I saw a few bottles of Tsingtao in the nicer tourist hotels (where only foreign exchange certificates were accepted), but not often.

It's funny, it occurred to me there are people today with no memory of a very poor, very closed, hostile China - a China with no economy to speak of, few exports, very little to no tourist infrastructure, nothing to buy...;  people with no memory of the Soviet Union and the Cold War... 

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1730 on: December 17, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »
Turns out the Canadian beer was 5.0%, and the beer sold in the US was 3.2

Total placebo effect, @PB

ABV vs. ABW

Canadian beer is stronger = A myth that people repeat to this very day.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF KINDNESS
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1731 on: December 17, 2019, 05:14:12 PM »
In college our team had a road game in Canada.  The Moosehead, Molson, Labatt's, even Budweiser were markedly better than the same brands on our side of the border.  Turns out the Canadian beer was 5.0%, and the beer sold in the US was 3.2

Moosehead's not an easy thing to get. They hate it when you gram'em by the horns. Hardly worth the risk.

I dunno about that. Wasn't my experience when last down there

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1732 on: December 17, 2019, 05:38:42 PM »

ABV vs. ABW

Well, all I know is it tasted a whole lot better.  I brought some back and we did side-by-side taste tests on all of the ones I listed.  The labels said 5.0 - if that was misleading, so be it.

A quick google check suggests although not constant due to certain factors, 3.2 ABW is approx 4.0 ABV.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1733 on: December 17, 2019, 08:05:54 PM »
I forgot the damn goat cheese at the market. I'm going to try again tonight- with ALL the ingredients this time. I'll let you know! I've never used fennel in salad before...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1734 on: December 17, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
They were poorly managed over a decade, locally...  Surprised they lasted this long.

I remember driving 7+ miles up to the store 10 years ago to get MP3 players for my kids that I had pre-ordered. I got the confirmation email and showed up 2 hours later. I checked in and finally gave up 45 minutes later when they didn't pull the stuff out of inventory for me. Although I had bought quite a few things from them in the past, tools, hoses, vacuums, appliances and good old household stuff, that was pretty much it for Sears. I might have bought an odd thing or two since then but they pretty much lost me.

Fry's is next.

I recall my husband and I going to Sears to get a window AC one very hot summer when the house AC was not working. We waited a long time for some help, which did not arrive. My husband picked up the box and headed to the register which was quite far away.  We passed a couple of sales people chatting away...one looked at us and said "Why are you carrying that?" I was so hot and tired all I could muster up was "You tell me"

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1735 on: December 17, 2019, 08:14:37 PM »
Why can't the people in my family try different things?  They say they hate it, but yet never tried it.  No matter what it is.

Children?

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1736 on: December 17, 2019, 08:15:29 PM »

No, indeed fun is critical.

We are about to watch Christmas Story for that very reason.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #1737 on: December 17, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »
I recall my husband and I going to Sears to get a window AC one very hot summer when the house AC was not working. We waited a long time for some help, which did not arrive. My husband picked up the box and headed to the register which was quite far away.  We passed a couple of sales people chatting away...one looked at us and said "Why are you carrying that?" I was so hot and tired all I could muster up was "You tell me"

You said the perfect thing.  Good for you, anniem.  I hate to admit it, but I'm the cause of Sears going belly up.  I tried to buy a stereo system from them once but they wouldn't let me charge it because I had no previous credit history.  I got mad and put a curse on them.  One of my bigger curses, as a matter of fact.  Still, it took a good forty plus years to take effect.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1738 on: December 17, 2019, 08:28:01 PM »

Silly. You should have bought a Carrier.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Are we having fun yet?

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1739 on: December 17, 2019, 08:43:00 PM »

You said the perfect thing.  Good for you, anniem.  I hate to admit it, but I'm the cause of Sears going belly up.  I tried to buy a stereo system from them once but they wouldn't let me charge it because I had no previous credit history.  I got mad and put a curse on them.  One of my bigger curses, as a matter of fact.  Still, it took a good forty plus years to take effect.

THEY DONE ME WRONG! The curse must have needed to gain some momentum.
So the house AC, it was a new unit. it would randomly shut down. Of course when we needed it most. Nothing seemed wrong, finally they sent out a senior tech who discovered that in the manufacturing of one of the hoses when it was cut a round disc was crated that was the exact size of the hose. They normally fell away, but this one fell IN the hose. So every now and then the disc would flip up and block the hose, and the unit shut off.