Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 592988 times)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #2340 on: January 30, 2020, 07:17:07 AM »
@FISH My father was a gunner aboard a B-24. A few years before he died, I went with him to the 8th Air Force Museum in Savannah. They have an exhibit that supposed to show in  a limited way what flying a mission was like.  He said it was somewhat realistic.
What a great experience for your father and you. Good for you @juan  :)

Flying in a B 24 was somewhat scary, but amazing. My father passed over before I experienced a ride in a B 24. You climb up into a hole under the B 24. You are tied to a wall. No real seats for passengers.  No toilet. No glass in the windows. Gaps in the flooring. You hear the engines, smell the fuels and feel the air. Of course I had my brother take a photo of me acting like a "gunner" as we were flying over open land in New Jersey.
My Pop was a humble good man. I never knew how brave he was until I took a ride in the Liberator.
Great tribute to Staff Sgt. John T. Dempsey posted by his son. I do not know these people. I am thinking about doing something like this for my dad.
http://ancientlights.org/fifteenth.html

PS/I heard good things about the The National WWII Museum in New Orleans.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #2341 on: January 30, 2020, 08:44:26 AM »
I got stuck in the middle of WWI. Too dark and intense for me. And that's saying something

Now I keep company in Ancient Egypt   https://player.fm/series/the-history-of-egypt-podcast

Or I'm all the way up to Richard Lion-Heart  https://player.fm/series/the-history-of-england
Love this narrator

Both TigerLily  recommended

I think the word you are looking for is “entrenched”.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #2342 on: January 30, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »
@FISH and @juan

One of my Uncle's was a waist gunner on a B-24.   Was on the Ploiesti raid and lived to tell the tale.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Lots of B-24 love up in this thread.   The heck with them B-17 bullys!

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2343 on: January 30, 2020, 05:42:25 PM »
@FISH and @juan

One of my Uncle's was a waist gunner on a B-24.   Was on the Ploiesti raid and lived to tell the tale.

Lots of B-24 love up in this thread.   The heck with them B-17 bullys!

Operation Tidal Wave. :o   God Bless your uncle.
Yeah! heck with them B-17 bullys! MOAR LOVE for those meanies--The Liberators.

The CATWALK on a B 24.

I took a photo of my Dad to the airfield. I meet two WW2 Service Veterans that were assigned to the B 24. I was so grateful to have the honor to meet and greet these two old timers. I showed them the photo of my Dad. No luck! I had my photo taken with these Veterans.
I do not want to dox myself in EG. In this photo you can not see my face of fear, as I was going to walk the catwalk. Yeah, I am trying to hold onto a large handbag as I take a photo before I walk the walk.  ::)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2344 on: February 01, 2020, 03:22:01 AM »
Anyone have anything special planned for Palindrome Day?

Sunday is  02/02/2020!

No matter what date format you use...

Everyone should post a picture of their shadow or a racecar.
Are we having fun yet?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread on Brigid's Day
« Reply #2345 on: February 01, 2020, 06:08:44 AM »
Anyone have anything special planned for Palindrome Day?

Sunday is  02/02/2020!

No matter what date format you use...

Everyone should post a picture of their shadow or a racecar.
@GravitySucks hold up. One more day before we reach "0202 2020" ;)
Today is Imbolc or Imbolg, also called Brigid's Day.
It is a Gaelic traditional festival marking the beginning of spring. It is held on 1 February, or about halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread on Brigid's Day
« Reply #2346 on: February 01, 2020, 06:41:50 AM »
@GravitySucks hold up. One more day before we reach "0202 2020" ;)
Today is Imbolc or Imbolg, also called Brigid's Day.
It is a Gaelic traditional festival marking the beginning of spring. It is held on 1 February, or about halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox.

Not if you are muslim.   Celebrate oppression.

https://worldhijabday.com/

Maybe I should have posted that in the Fabulous Fashion thread. My bad. 
Are we having fun yet?

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #2347 on: February 01, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »

Imbolc, also called Brigid's Day, is a Gaelic traditional festival marking the beginning of spring. It is held on 1 February, or about halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. Historically, it was widely observed throughout Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man

“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2348 on: February 01, 2020, 09:55:45 AM »

And for you non-Pagans. Happy February. May it be a damn sight better than January

“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #2349 on: February 01, 2020, 10:47:37 AM »
Imbolc, also called Brigid's Day, is a Gaelic traditional festival marking the beginning of spring. It is held on 1 February, or about halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. Historically, it was widely observed throughout Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man

The Romans were turned back and never conquered the Celtic lands of Ireland, Scotland, the Isle of Man, Wales, and Cornwall on the British Isles, and Brittany in what's now Western France.  Their traditions were never influenced by the Romans, they jumped straight to Christianity.

This holiday has ancient Celtic roots.  Brigid was a goddess in Celtic Ireland, and her feast day was Feb 1 - which marked the beginning of Spring.  She seems to be the Irish version of the Dawn Goddess, associated with spring, fertility, healing, and so on.  Likely not a coincidence the early Christians chose to name the early Spring holiday for their St Brigid.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2350 on: February 01, 2020, 11:04:50 AM »
The Romans were turned back and never conquered the Celtic lands of Ireland, Scotland, the Isle of Man, Wales, and Cornwall on the British Isles, and Brittany in what's now Western France.  Their traditions were never influenced by the Romans, they jumped straight to Christianity.

This holiday has ancient Celtic roots.  Brigid was a goddess in Celtic Ireland, and her feast day was Feb 1 - which marked the beginning of Spring.  She seems to be the Irish version of the Dawn Goddess, associated with spring, fertility, healing, and so on.  Likely not a coincidence the early Christians chose to name the early Spring holiday for their St Brigid.

Apart from being the second patron saint of Ireland, St. Brigid is also the patron saint for babies; blacksmiths; boatmen; cattle; chicken farmers; children whose parents are not married; dairymaids; dairy workers; fugitives; infants; mariners; midwives; milk maids; poultry raisers; printing presses; sailors and scholars.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2351 on: February 01, 2020, 11:06:17 AM »

LIKE LOVE

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
Are we having fun yet?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #2353 on: February 01, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »
5' 1'', 130?

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2354 on: February 02, 2020, 07:36:02 AM »

Well, isn't that special?