Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 592768 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Are we having fun yet?

PB

• Ellevated
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #3707 on: May 28, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »
... I used to really enjoy watching baseball. I was a bleacher bum... the bleachers was $1. My gf had a dream of seeing a game in every park... She gave up on baseball entirely...

Same here to all the above

... I have been a guest at several Astros games, mainly playoff games. But I never have sat in at a world’s series game. I tried to buy tickets in 2016 but there wasn’t enough money in my name to snag a seat.

I managed to get tix to nearly every A's and Giants playoff and World Series home game from the 80s and 90s until the strike year, when I stopped watching baseball completely (more A's than Giants postseason games, obviously).  A mix of getting lucky with tickets when they went on sale, or buying extras from people or scalpers right before the game.  (Sharks too, all through the 90s).

(Due to a certain level of expertise buying and selling concert tickets when I was young and broke - so I could afford to go - paying off.  I still rarely if ever buy concert tickets from the box office, unless it's day of at a small venue)

...  In 1981 I really went overboard riding the crap out of Bobby Bonds who was trying to hang around baseball. His kid wasn’t playing yet. He played for the Wichita Aeros in between stints with the Cubs. I had him pretty riled up. Glad I didn’t run into him after the game. Kinda still feel bad about that night

Bobby was a great player, but a cancer in the clubhouse.  That's why he kept getting traded and played on so many teams.

His buddy Willie Mays and his kid were also jerks, especially Barry of course, but the better one plays the more it's tolerated.

... When I was stationed in Omaha in 79-82, I used to get general admission tickets to the entire college World Series games for a total of about $25-$30.  You can’t get into a single game at the new Rosenblatt stadium for that now... Used to watch a bunch of AAA baseball there too with the Omaha Royals...

I loved baseball as a kid.  In our town men's fast-pitch softball and the American Legion baseball team were what we had.  I'd spend all weekend watching the softball tournaments when they came (that was free), and watched baseball to a lesser extent.  (Frankly, for me fast pitch softball was and is a better game than baseball).

When I moved here I probably went to between 20 and 40 Giants games a year, depending on whether they were contenders.  Sometimes I'd buy an extra box-seat ticket for a few bucks from someone outside the stadium on game day, but usually I'd buy a bleacher seat and either sneak into the box seats or stay out there and chill with the real fans.  I liked Candlestick, the new park is a bit much.

Even though I lived closer to the A's stadium, and they were usually better teams, I'd probably only go to a couple of their games a year.  Boo to the DH.

The only games I've been to since the 1993 strike were free tickets from vendors.  Haven't watched any of it on TV, but do still follow the local teams for some reason.

I'm glad, the games are longer, everything is super expensive, the game is beyond boring the way it's played now - bleep it.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3708 on: May 28, 2021, 03:55:31 PM »
... She gave up on baseball entirely when the Astros got caught cheating...

I don't 'quite' get it.  I'll say up front I did not follow that whole episode, but cheating, or should we call it gamesmanship, has been part of baseball since the beginning. 

Scuffing up the ball, spitballs, freezing the balls, stealing signs, pine tar on the bats, corking the bats, erasing the batter's box chalk outlines, mowing the lawn extra short or keeping it extra long, watering down the base paths, and so on, were acceptable practices with minimal repercussions.

The early years of domed stadiums featured air conditioning fans blowing out when the home team batted and blowing in when the visitors were at bat.

In the NFL we have deflated balls, helium filled balls (for the punter), spying on the opponents practices, and so on.

When the rules like these are broken to gain advantage, a large percentage of fans think it adds to the lore of baseball, and maybe a bat, a ball, or even a player here or there is tossed out of the game in the past - and I'm not necessarily advocating cheating, but now suddenly this is the reaction?

In a few sentences, what made this so different?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3709 on: May 28, 2021, 04:10:39 PM »
George Brett pine tar game

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #3710 on: May 28, 2021, 04:13:40 PM »
Legal cheating was always part of the game.  Eliminating all of those things, brush back pitches, knuckleballers, and taking 30-minutes between each pitch drove me from baseball many years ago.
Merry Christmas

ShayP

• Ellevated

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3712 on: May 28, 2021, 05:41:30 PM »
I don't 'quite' get it.  I'll say up front I did not follow that whole episode, but cheating, or should we call it gamesmanship, has been part of baseball since the beginning. 

Scuffing up the ball, spitballs, freezing the balls, stealing signs, pine tar on the bats, corking the bats, erasing the batter's box chalk outlines, mowing the lawn extra short or keeping it extra long, watering down the base paths, and so on, were acceptable practices with minimal repercussions.

The early years of domed stadiums featured air conditioning fans blowing out when the home team batted and blowing in when the visitors were at bat.

In the NFL we have deflated balls, helium filled balls (for the punter), spying on the opponents practices, and so on.

When the rules like these are broken to gain advantage, a large percentage of fans think it adds to the lore of baseball, and maybe a bat, a ball, or even a player here or there is tossed out of the game in the past - and I'm not necessarily advocating cheating, but now suddenly this is the reaction?

In a few sentences, what made this so different?

I believe everyone got upset because they were using technology to cheat. Stealing the signs from the video feed and then banging on a trash can to signal either a fastball or curve. Can’t remember which. One of the pitchers that got traded the next year blabbed about it. You’re right. Gaining an advantage by cheating has been part of the game. Niekro getting caught with sandpaper. Pine tar too far up on the bat. Corked bats. Dodgers used to be famous for how they prepared the dirt in front of home plate to favor their speedy runners beating out infield hits and bunts and spreading extra loose dirt there when Tommy John was pitching. Don’t quite remember the details. Barry Bonds wearing his famous home run hitting assist device.

Probably what got her pissed the most was it just wasn’t one or two players doing something to gain advantage, like a pitcher that had mastered a spitter. The coaches were definitely involved and sanctioned it.
Are we having fun yet?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3713 on: May 28, 2021, 05:43:39 PM »
How long have you been a member?

Ahem @ShayP you would never find me in a pink vestment.
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF KINDNESS
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #3714 on: May 28, 2021, 05:50:28 PM »
I have trouble believing it.  However if someone saw a pic of me when I was in my prime as opposed to now, I'd be unrecognizable.  This almost feels like an Art Bell's "Truth or Trash" show.  @KSM I say it's trash.
Yeppers brudda! Gotta be trash, or I wasted a whole lotta babies..  :-X  @ShayP

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF KINDNESS
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #3715 on: May 28, 2021, 05:52:38 PM »
Made me very uncomfortable back when places wanted to take my temperature upon entry with that gun at the forehead.  Very biblical..

keep your butt jokes to yourself   Bart

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #3716 on: May 28, 2021, 06:04:39 PM »
Ahem @ShayP you would never find me in a pink vestment.

So, purple then? @GravitySucks  I can see that.  It suits you.  Maybe some white Pontifical gloves to accent it.  ;D

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #3717 on: May 28, 2021, 06:31:16 PM »
Watching sports day events live on Zoom at an elementary school in Japan...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3718 on: May 28, 2021, 06:34:08 PM »
Made me very uncomfortable back when places wanted to take my temperature upon entry with that gun at the forehead.  Very biblical...

''Hands up, don't shoot''

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #3719 on: May 28, 2021, 06:34:41 PM »
It can be established that this young lady can run.  Unreal.