Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 592868 times)

ItsOver

• Ellevated
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #4440 on: November 08, 2021, 10:01:55 AM »
My favorite movie of all time. I am approaching my 60th viewing and boy I am due for it.   Magic is my Rocky Horror. @Camazotz Automat
Pretty good.  The first time I’ve watched it.  Hard to go wrong with both Anthony Hopkins and Ann-Margret.

The dang gone Comet showing kept locking up towards the end, which was frustrating, especially since I was recording it.  Hopefully, Comet runs it again this month, without the hiccups.
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #4441 on: November 08, 2021, 04:04:53 PM »
Pretty good.  The first time I’ve watched it.  Hard to go wrong with both Anthony Hopkins and Ann-Margret.

The dang gone Comet showing kept locking up towards the end, which was frustrating, especially since I was recording it.  Hopefully, Comet runs it again this month, without the hiccups.

Have you searched around all those streaming channels like Crackle, Roku, Tubi, etc?  If it's being played on an over-the-air channel , it's probably somewhere streaming as well. For ages and ages Gunsmoke was only available on a subscription CBS channel for streaming and that has even ended up free on the Roku channel iirc.
Eh, nevermind...

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #4442 on: November 08, 2021, 05:23:34 PM »
My favorite movie of all time. I am approaching my 60th viewing and boy I am due for it.   Magic is my Rocky Horror. @Camazotz Automat

@KSM

I have not viewed it 50+  times, but it will always be in regular rotation.

It was the first authentic  movie poster I bought and displayed on the wall.
I still recall the creepy television rollout commercials...

I'm a sucker for any ventriloquist dummy movie, both supernatural and psychological plots, but MAGIC is the one I can watch again and again.  And even though I know EXACTLY the moment when Duke "gets it," I'm always disturbed by it. And always disturbed by Burgess and Fats in the forest.  The story mutates briefly into hallucinatory horror more than once.  Like split seconds of weird Hitchcockian directing.

Greatness.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #4443 on: November 08, 2021, 07:20:14 PM »
@KSM

I have not viewed it 50+  times, but it will always be in regular rotation.

It was the first authentic  movie poster I bought and displayed on the wall.
I still recall the creepy television rollout commercials...

I'm a sucker for any ventriloquist dummy movie, both supernatural and psychological plots, but MAGIC is the one I can watch again and again.  And even though I know EXACTLY the moment when Duke "gets it," I'm always disturbed by it. And always disturbed by Burgess and Fats in the forest.  The story mutates briefly into hallucinatory horror more than once.  Like split seconds of weird Hitchcockian directing.

Greatness.
Yes. Greatness indeed.

First thing that got me when first saw the movie was the creepy harmonica that would fade in and out with various scenes. The film viewer then knows that the wheels are coming off the wagon and eventually..  I was se7en. *smiley face*

Favorite scene as if from a B-side  "we gonna be a staAAar" from the dressing room scene before things went to Ell the lake.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #4444 on: November 08, 2021, 11:39:37 PM »
When real life ventriloquist Arthur Prince died in 1948, his dummy, "Jim" was buried with him. And mentioned on the marker:

Arthur Prince and Jim, died 14th. April 1948

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7468831/arthur-prince

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #4445 on: November 09, 2021, 10:04:49 AM »
@KSM  @ItsOver

This 1978 television commercial features Mortimer Snerd, Edgar Bergen, & Charlie McCarthy.

Edgar animated and voiced Mortimer but asked his friend Dennis Alwood to animate and voice Charlie.

Alwood animated and voiced Fats in MAGIC, and also portrayed a bartender.

Alwood also designed Fats and supervised fabrication! In the book, no description of the dummy is given. After Fats was made, Alwood got the author's feedback on how Fats turned out. Read the interview!

The studio wanted the public to perceive Hopkins was responsible for the voice and operation. In the credits, it even states: Fats - Anthony Hopkins.

This commercial came out the same year as the film.

Interview with Alwood about Fats, Charlie,  Edgar Bergen, Candice Bergen, & Magic author William Goldman:

https://www.vent-o-gram.com/post/dennis-alwood-the-interview

It is amusing to see Bergen NOT voice Charlie, but voiced by the man who voiced Fats! It appears Alwood also voiced the Parkay box.

Viewing this video on other websites is disabled by poster. You have to go to YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CbUlxrXg8Rs

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #4446 on: November 09, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »
@KSM  @ItsOver

This 1978 television commercial features Mortimer Snerd, Edgar Bergen, & Charlie McCarthy.

Edgar animated and operated Mortimer but asked his friend Dennis Alwood to animate and voice Charlie.

Alwood animated and voiced Fats in MAGIC. Alwood also portrayed a bartender.

Alwood also designed Fats and supervised fabrication! In the book, no description of the dummy is given. After Fats was made, Alwood got the author's opinion on how Fats looked.

The studio wanted the public to perceive Hopkins was responsible for the voice and operation. In the credits, it even states: Fats - Anthony Hopkins.

This commercial came out the same year as the film.

Interview with Alwood about Fats, Charlie,  Edgar Bergen, Candice Bergen, & Magic author William Goldman:

https://www.vent-o-gram.com/post/dennis-alwood-the-interview
It is amusing to see Bergen NOT voice Charlie, but voiced by the man who voiced Fats! It appears Alwood also voiced the Parkay box.

Viewing this video on other websites is disabled by poster. You have to go to YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CbUlxrXg8Rs
Most excellent!  Back when commercials were clever and entertaining, as opposed to today’s annoying, woke junk. 

Another old movie with a dummy that I recently enjoyed is the 1964 “Devil Doll.”  Hugo is the stuff of nightmares.  Especially when he gets up and starts walking around.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/72943/devil-doll#overview

AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #4447 on: November 09, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »
I LOVE Devil Doll, both the straight version and the MST3K version.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #4448 on: November 11, 2021, 05:18:01 AM »

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #4449 on: November 11, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »
I LOVE Devil Doll, both the straight version and the MST3K version.
Heads up, if you’re up in the middle of the night tomorrow and don’t want to be tortured by Noory, “Devil Doll” is on The Movies Channel.

https://moviestvnetwork.com/schedule/?date=11/12/2021#calendar
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4450 on: November 12, 2021, 03:40:57 PM »
Don't watch this video.
Don't even think of watching it starting at the 3 minute mark.
I know what you are thinking - IT'S YOUTUBE, HOW BAD CAN IT BE?
I warned you.
If any of you deadbeats actually have jobs and are not just housewives like @KSM is preparing to be then don't watch this at work.
I will take zero responsibility for whatever damage it does to you if you do decide to watch it even after all these warnings.

Also - Don't listen to it, the music is shit.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #4451 on: November 12, 2021, 03:56:03 PM »
Here I thought the hook was Haystack Calhoun rocking the Sousaphone back there.  Wow. That would be a no. I'm ruined.  As in rekt.............

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #4452 on: November 12, 2021, 06:37:19 PM »
Don't watch this video.
Don't even think of watching it starting at the 3 minute mark.
I know what you are thinking - IT'S YOUTUBE, HOW BAD CAN IT BE?
I warned you.
If any of you deadbeats actually have jobs and are not just housewives like @KSM is preparing to be then don't watch this at work.
I will take zero responsibility for whatever damage it does to you if you do decide to watch it even after all these warnings.

Also - Don't listen to it, the music is shit.
When the bathroom break comes to, you!

I think I'm going to enjoy being a housewife if this is what I have to l00k forward to when signing in.  Am I the only one who cringed in readiness to turn away should she have been pushing from the back end? I really thought for a minute she was about to drop anchor..  #RunAway!

I think @PolkaDot is into this sort of music thing.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #4453 on: November 12, 2021, 06:51:43 PM »
Heads up, if you’re up in the middle of the night tomorrow and don’t want to be tortured by Noory, “Devil Doll” is on The Movies Channel.

https://moviestvnetwork.com/schedule/?date=11/12/2021#calendar

It would have been most cool if Shout!Factory could have  included the full flick as an extra with  the MST3K Vol XIX release.

But that Richard Gordon interview providing his account of making Devil Doll was an excellent extra!

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #4454 on: November 12, 2021, 06:57:16 PM »
It would have been most cool if Shout!Factory could have  included the full flick as an extra with  the MST3K Vol XIX release.

But that Richard Gordon interview providing his account of making Devil Doll was an excellent extra!
I believe the MST3K riff of “Devil Doll” is one of the few I’ve never seen. 

Also, I happened to notice “Magic” will indeed re-air on Comet, on the 24th.

https://www.comettv.com/schedule/?date=nov+24&tz=pacific
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎