Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 592992 times)

HamsterMuscle

• Ellightened
    • The George Senda Music Video
Re: COFFEE
« Reply #5490 on: May 17, 2022, 08:38:39 PM »
Anybody ever change a flat tire on a Toyota Tacoma?

Why do you even OWN a truck if you are that much of a hothouse flower?

I'm just trying to imagine you in a REALLY difficult situation.  One which requires resource and imagination.  You would be totally fucked.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #5491 on: May 17, 2022, 08:54:24 PM »
Why do you even OWN a truck if you are that much of a hothouse flower?

I'm just trying to imagine you in a REALLY difficult situation.  One which requires resource and imagination.  You would be totally fucked.

There's one 'No'.  No PB I've never changed a flat on a Tacoma.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #5492 on: May 17, 2022, 09:22:01 PM »

With my luck this thing will last forever.  First flat tire.  Last night I get back from the store and notice the rear tire is going flat.  The spare is under the truck bed and I have no idea how to get it out, so I watch a video on YouTube.

Turns out there is a kit under the back seat on one side and the jack under the other back seat.  The kit is 3 rods that link together, with a hook on the end.  It ends up being over a yard long.  You stick that thing through a tiny hole above the rear license plate until it reaches a hole the end of the hook is supposed to fit into.  Better put in straight, or it's not going to work.  The hook isn't to grab onto anything, you put the far edge of the hook into a slot, and then begin cranking. 

I swear I'm not making this up, and it's not a euphemism. 

Cranking it lowers the spare, which is then dangling from a cable that the cranking action is unwinding.  When the tire is on the ground, pop out the piece of metal in the middle, turn it sideways, pull it through, and the tire is free.  Then reach in with the hook and pull it out from under the truck.  Easy enough, it only weighs about 1000 pounds.

Then jack it up and do a change with the flat 1000 lb tire and the spare 1000 lb tire.

All I have to do now is take the flat in to get it repaired, swap out the spare, and figure out how to get the spare back and secured under the bed.

God damn.  That was their best idea?  And its all Tacomas going back at least 20 years. 

So what happens if you're out in the middle of nowhere with no YouTube?  Or next to a freeway with cars whizzing past at about 80 in the dark? 

I guess I could have waited for the 20 year old AAA guy to tell me he didn't know how to do it.
Hahahahahahaha!

My 4Runner has that same system...  When I was looking at used ones, I noticed many of them had sun damage on the part of the spare tire that you can see from the back. I don't know if it's like that on the trucks, but something to be mindful of.
Eh, nevermind...

HamsterMuscle

• Ellightened
« Reply #5493 on: May 17, 2022, 10:07:17 PM »
There's one 'No'.  No PB I've never changed a flat on a Tacoma.

That's correct, not on that model.  But I did change one on a Toyota small truck, which uses the same kind of spare tire system, as do most trucks.  It was not particularly difficult, but then again I didn't have to yell at passing clouds.

It's simply awful that the maker didn't take your feelings into consideration.  I feel terribly for you right now.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #5494 on: May 17, 2022, 10:35:30 PM »
That's correct, not on that model.  But I did change one on a Toyota small truck...

Your rickshaw's a Toyota?

HamsterMuscle

• Ellightened
« Reply #5495 on: May 17, 2022, 11:34:29 PM »
Your rickshaw's a Toyota?

I was a good time
Yeah, I got pretty good
At changing tires
Upstairs, bro
I shot my mouth off and you showed me what that hole was for

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #5496 on: May 18, 2022, 08:51:37 AM »
...  When I was looking at used ones, I noticed many of them had sun damage on the part of the spare tire that you can see from the back. I don't know if it's like that on the trucks, but something to be mindful of.

Thanks for the heads up/reminder.  At best it's been under there awhile, I'll go easy until I get the flat fixed.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #5497 on: May 18, 2022, 02:41:54 PM »
Murdered out Mustang with a 666 QT license plate.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #5498 on: May 18, 2022, 03:24:19 PM »

With my luck this thing will last forever.  First flat tire.  Last night I get back from the store and notice the rear tire is going flat.  The spare is under the truck bed and I have no idea how to get it out, so I watch a video on YouTube.

Turns out there is a kit under the back seat on one side and the jack under the other back seat.  The kit is 3 rods that link together, with a hook on the end.  It ends up being over a yard long.  You stick that thing through a tiny hole above the rear license plate until it reaches a hole the end of the hook is supposed to fit into.  Better put in straight, or it's not going to work.  The hook isn't to grab onto anything, you put the far edge of the hook into a slot, and then begin cranking. 

I swear I'm not making this up, and it's not a euphemism. 

Cranking it lowers the spare, which is then dangling from a cable that the cranking action is unwinding.  When the tire is on the ground, pop out the piece of metal in the middle, turn it sideways, pull it through, and the tire is free.  Then reach in with the hook and pull it out from under the truck.  Easy enough, it only weighs about 1000 pounds.

Then jack it up and do a change with the flat 1000 lb tire and the spare 1000 lb tire.

All I have to do now is take the flat in to get it repaired, swap out the spare, and figure out how to get the spare back and secured under the bed.

God damn.  That was their best idea?  And its all Tacomas going back at least 20 years. 

So what happens if you're out in the middle of nowhere with no YouTube?  Or next to a freeway with cars whizzing past at about 80 in the dark? 

I guess I could have waited for the 20 year old AAA guy to tell me he didn't know how to do it.

I ran into a similar Bolshevik-engineered “feature” while doing an oil change on my F-150 a few weeks ago. I got the oil change done easily enough but couldn’t for the life of me find the dipstick to check the transmission fluid and to spurt in an additive that I had purchased. Had to search YouTube. You have to crawl under the vehicle not once but twice because the damn thing is covered with a bulbous looking cap with a nut like shape that requires a deep socket that wasn’t included in my overpriced metric socket set so I had to find one in my impact socket set. You remove the bulbous nut-like thing which serves as a type of dust cover. The dipstick itself is only about 3 inches long and is made out of some type of plastic with an o-ring. Luckily I didn’t damage the o-ring. The additive came packaged in an oversized hypodermic plunger type device not unlike the plunger you get when you order ivermectin horse paste. The fluid level must have been full because it started dripping out once I squirted the additive in. So I never actually checked the level on the dipstick. I envisioned @Walks_At_Night sitting in a lawn chair laughing at me while he was sipping a PBR.
Are we having fun yet?

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #5499 on: May 18, 2022, 05:31:10 PM »

Looks like Orange County...
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #5500 on: May 18, 2022, 05:31:41 PM »
... laughing at me while he was sipping a PBR.

No one laughs when having a PBR, it's a very serious hipster beer.  And shitty.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #5501 on: May 18, 2022, 05:33:44 PM »
I envisioned @Walks_At_Night sitting in a lawn chair laughing at me while he was sipping a PBR.

Tranny fluid will bleach a spot in your hair. That's just an interesting fact that I happen to know............

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #5502 on: May 18, 2022, 05:35:51 PM »

Is that a Q or a G or something else.  GT makes sense.

Are those the California throwback yellow lettering on black plates?  It was a sad day when they switched to yellow on blue, and then blue on white.  The new yellow on black don't quite look right though, too shiny and new since we've only seen the older scratched, bent, and faded ones on old cars for so long now.

HamsterMuscle

• Ellightened
« Reply #5503 on: May 18, 2022, 06:43:04 PM »
Is that a Q or a G or something else.  GT makes sense.

It looks like a G to me.  Certainly not a Q.  And someone has used a paint program to obscure the right side of the plate.

Are those the California throwback yellow lettering on black plates?  It was a sad day when they switched to yellow on blue, and then blue on white.  The new yellow on black don't quite look right though, too shiny and new since we've only seen the older scratched, bent, and faded ones on old cars for so long now.

So now you are complaining about license plates?  Srsly?

Is there anything in your life that makes you happy, other than whinging?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #5504 on: May 18, 2022, 06:49:46 PM »
... Is there anything in your life that makes you happy, other than whinging?

Knowing you read and enjoy my posts, for one