Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 592939 times)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #7125 on: February 12, 2024, 12:51:21 AM »
What is going on down at the Little Sleazers?  You can get a pepperoni for $6.79, a cheese for $6.79 and a half pepperoni/half cheese for $7.79.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There's a YouTube video explaining how they can be so cheap. Shit for ingredients and things like using condensed or dry mixes only using water from the local location.

By the way I've been getting a series of earthquake alerts over the last 15 minutes or so. Ring of fire stuff is happening again...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Eh, nevermind...

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #7126 on: February 12, 2024, 01:12:53 AM »
There's a YouTube video explaining how they can be so cheap. Shit for ingredients and things like using condensed or dry mixes only using water from the local location.

Oh yeah but why is a cheese the same price as a pep, yet half cheese/half pep cost a buck more?

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #7127 on: February 12, 2024, 08:28:04 AM »
Oh yeah but why is a cheese the same price as a pep, yet half cheese/half pep cost a buck more?

That's a skilled product.  Dividing by half is math.
Eh, nevermind...

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #7128 on: February 12, 2024, 02:46:45 PM »
@PolkaDot glad you've re-graced us with your posts.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #7129 on: February 13, 2024, 12:27:39 AM »
Anybody seen PW since his visit to Wendy's?

You can't just start out with a double Baconator with double fries and a bucket of Coke and just walk away - you have to work up to that with years of Chicken McNuggets, double-deck Whoppers, Frostys, butter and syrup infused pancakes, guac and cheese covered triple curly garlic fries, deep fried Twinkies, holiday turduckens, and so on.  I hope he made it out.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #7130 on: February 13, 2024, 01:06:29 AM »
Anybody seen PW since his visit to Wendy's?

You can't just start out with a double Baconator with double fries and a bucket of Coke and just walk away - you have to work up to that with years of Chicken McNuggets, double-deck Whoppers, Frostys, butter and syrup infused pancakes, guac and cheese covered triple curly garlic fries, deep fried Twinkies, holiday turduckens, and so on.  I hope he made it out.

Didn't manage to do it yesterday, I'll have to do it later in the week. It's a bit out of my usual way and I couldn't quite fit it in. But I am determined to tough it out and remember that my grandparents lived through the Blitz so this cardiac arrest in a box can't be any worse.

As mentioned the other day, I went to see 2001 - A Space Odyssey in IMAX last night. Jesus Christ, that film is creakier than the prosthetic hip @Walks_At_Night got with that GroupOn offer. Seeing it on a giant screen does it no favours and overall it comes across as a load of old balls that must have looked good 50 years ago to a bunch of stoned assholes but it looks really pretentious now. Boring too. I thought that perhaps the last 20 minutes might benefit from being seen on a big screen but if anything it's even more annoying when blown up like that. And a few of the bits got some unintentional laughs.

They're doing a stage version of Dr Strangelove later this year that I might go to see. I think that's about the only Kubrick that I really enjoy. I can watch bits of The Shining but all in one go it's usually too much.

I was also anally raped in the bar before the screening. £6.40 for a beer that was barely more than half a pint. FFS!!

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #7131 on: February 13, 2024, 01:11:08 AM »
While I'm girding my loins to visit Wendy's, here's another subject that must be close to your fatty, degenerate hearts: coffee.

I tried some coffee bags the other day. Now, I wasn't expecting much but they were pretty good overall. So, what is your preferred coffee making method? And what are the best coffee chains over there? Is Starbucks as underwhelming there as it is here? What other coffee chains do you have that we don't?

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #7132 on: February 13, 2024, 02:50:18 AM »
Starbucks is more like satanic than underwhelming.  But what a business plan. Buy the cheapest coffee available. Burn it so that the coffee is undrinkable. Then convince people to add stuff to it to make more of a milkshake and charge extra for the extra stuff.

The best chains near me are local and regional. And my Bernie supporting, far left college professor niece makes very good coffee.
Merry Christmas

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #7133 on: February 13, 2024, 03:01:37 AM »
And my Bernie supporting, far left college professor niece makes very good coffee.

Since you are open to providing extra descriptive info on this niece - how is her rack?

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
  • 3.99 or 6.99, content seen NOWHERE else!
« Reply #7134 on: February 13, 2024, 03:25:47 AM »
Since you are open to providing extra descriptive info on this niece - how is her rack?

And is there an older, portly gentleman sitting in the corner sipping ion complimentary water, taking advantage of the cool AC and free Wi-Fi?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #7135 on: February 13, 2024, 03:33:13 AM »

Didn't manage to do it yesterday, I'll have to do it later in the week. It's a bit out of my usual way and I couldn't quite fit it in. But I am determined to tough it out and remember that my grandparents lived through the Blitz so this cardiac arrest in a box can't be any worse.

As mentioned the other day, I went to see 2001 - A Space Odyssey in IMAX last night. Jesus Christ, that film is creakier than the prosthetic hip @Walks_At_Night got with that GroupOn offer. Seeing it on a giant screen does it no favours and overall it comes across as a load of old balls that must have looked good 50 years ago to a bunch of stoned assholes but it looks really pretentious now. Boring too. I thought that perhaps the last 20 minutes might benefit from being seen on a big screen but if anything it's even more annoying when blown up like that. And a few of the bits got some unintentional laughs.

They're doing a stage version of Dr Strangelove later this year that I might go to see. I think that's about the only Kubrick that I really enjoy. I can watch bits of The Shining but all in one go it's usually too much.

I was also anally raped in the bar before the screening. £6.40 for a beer that was barely more than half a pint. FFS!!

Ha! I was wondering how that would work out for you. There are plenty of older films that could turn out well in an IMAX format. I never really 'got' 2001 anyway, so it wouldn't be high on my list of candidates.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #7136 on: February 13, 2024, 03:35:00 AM »
What other coffee chains do you have that we don't?

I'm not a coffee guy but Mrs. WAN likes Caribou Coffee.

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
  • 3.99 or 6.99, content seen NOWHERE else!
« Reply #7137 on: February 13, 2024, 03:41:47 AM »
While I'm girding my loins to visit Wendy's, here's another subject that must be close to your fatty, degenerate hearts: coffee.

I tried some coffee bags the other day. Now, I wasn't expecting much but they were pretty good overall. So, what is your preferred coffee making method? And what are the best coffee chains over there? Is Starbucks as underwhelming there as it is here? What other coffee chains do you have that we don't?

Stay away from the chains, they aren’t worth the price.  McDonald’s has great coffee IMO, and it’s inexpensive.  As far as making coffee goes, a simple Mr. Coffee maker works just fine.  My Grandparents used a percolator, seemed like it made a decent cup of coffee.  What brands of coffee do you have over there?  I’ve never been much of a coffee snob.  Folgers, Maxwell House, both good. 

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #7138 on: February 13, 2024, 03:42:02 AM »
Ha! I was wondering how that would work out for you. There are plenty of older films that could turn out well in an IMAX format. I never really 'got' 2001 anyway, so it wouldn't be high on my list of candidates.

I saw Lawrence of Arabia a few years ago. It wasn't on IMAX but if you've only seen it at home then you've only had half the experience. I thought perhaps this would convince me it was worth watching, since I'd never liked it before. Oh well, you live and learn and I've never seen anything on a screen that big before. Oddly, the bit that worked the best was the 'Dawn of Man' sequence, the space stuff hasn't worn well at all.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #7139 on: February 13, 2024, 03:47:10 AM »
Stay away from the chains, they aren’t worth the price.  McDonald’s has great coffee IMO, and it’s inexpensive.  As far as making coffee goes, a simple Mr. Coffee maker works just fine.  My Grandparents used a percolator, seemed like it made a decent cup of coffee.  What brands of coffee do you have over there?  I’ve never been much of a coffee snob.  Folgers, Maxwell House, both good.

I used to like making coffee with a Moka pot - it's like a percolator you put on the stove. But I lost mine and my ever got around to getting a new one. If you like strong black coffee then it's worth a try.

We don't have Folgers, but we have Maxwell House. The ubiquitous and iniquitous Starbucks sells their own brand. I like Illy, which is reassuringly expensive. I generally prefer coffee that's so thick and strong the spoon stands up on its own.

I'd never thought of coffee at McDonald's. I'll have to try it.