Author Topic: The Workout and Weight Loss Thread  (Read 19042 times)

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
The Workout and Weight Loss Thread
« on: September 24, 2020, 09:47:57 AM »
So @KSM32 called us all "potatoes"  >:( when @ponyboysunset asked about starting a workout thread. He said we would just do it for a few weeks and then all our home workout equipment would just turn into expensive clothes racks.  :(

To be fair, statistically he is correct. Many people do start up all-a-fire and burn out. Other people who like to mock us "ample" people never had to really worry about weight gain so consequentially don't understand what the big deal is.

But there is clear evidence that calories don't lie. What a person eats matters.

It's been a long time coming for me because carrying around some extra pounds wasn't a problem. Until it was. I've had jobs most of my life where basically I was on my feet all day. Restaurants mostly, but I've done some industrial warehouse work and even worked at a prison. I always have been "big" and in some cases (hello inmate) having a large size helped.

But as I've gotten older, I've worked more desk jobs and now work from home exclusively. The weight has become a problem. So I'm just going to post here what I've been doing and maybe some sites I find interesting on my journey.

Maybe this thread will flame out like @KSM32 predicts. I know for me, I think I've "turned the corner" and I'm in for the long haul.  :)   

Feel free to contribute your own tips and what you are doing.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
Re: The Workout and Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:59:15 AM »

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 10:18:01 AM »
WALKING

This is where is began for me. I've posted elsewhere about some health issues I face but about 2 years ago I had reached the point where walking was troublesome. So I literally would consider riding the fat carts at the grocery stores. I don't have a problem, conceptually, with the carts if you have had surgery or something but watching a Mother/Daughter pair using the carts at the grocery store really made an impression on me.

Here were two very big women caravanning thru the store, both of them getting in the way because they both wanted to see the same stuff. It was nuts.

So I could never make the concession to riding the fat carts.

So I started walking. At first I would go to Sam's or Costco and walk to the back of the store. You haven't really lived until you're on the back aisle of a big box store wondering if you can make it back out to the front door. lol

That sounds pretty extreme but in my case, absolutely true.

So I got some good shoes (New Balance Wide Width) and started walking. I walked the malls, stopping for rests on the benches but kept at it. You know most malls open early for us walkers. It's usually an older crowd but they are friendly enough. I worked my way up to about a mile a day and expanded to walking the trails around some local parks. Still not a big fan of that because of the bugs and weather and whatnot but it came in handy when the malls closed for the Covids.

When things started opening back up, I joined a community center so I could walk on their treadmill. Treadmill walking is harder for me than the "just walking" because it is relentless. But they had a nice view out into the park and I would just do my thing watching the squirrels and the lady joggers on the paths. But they were closed on the weekends. I joined a nearby gym and started walking there. It's a pretty nice gym, very clean but some of the equipment is starting to get old.

About a month ago, Costco had a home treadmill for $579 that looked good. It could handle my weight and had some nice features so I got it home and put it together. It's been great. It is connected to an app called iFit which keeps the walks interesting enough that I look forward to using it. I think I posted a HSN clip about it, but here it another.

I had my doubts about the iFit thing, but it really is better than just staring at the wall, a LOT better  :D

I walk on it every day...well...most days lol

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 10:20:09 AM »
MY NEW EXERCISE REGIMEN

Ha ha! Thanks Bart and thank YOU Tony Senda for providing much-needed leadership!  ;D

ponyboysunset

• Elluminati
  • Just your average otter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 10:21:04 AM »
So @KSM32 called us all "potatoes"  >:( when @ponyboysunset asked about starting a workout thread. He said we would just do it for a few weeks and then all our home workout equipment would just turn into expensive clothes racks.  :(

To be fair, statistically he is correct. Many people do start up all-a-fire and burn out. Other people who like to mock us "ample" people never had to really worry about weight gain so consequentially don't understand what the big deal is.

But there is clear evidence that calories don't lie. What a person eats matters.

It's been a long time coming for me because carrying around some extra pounds wasn't a problem. Until it was. I've had jobs most of my life where basically I was on my feet all day. Restaurants mostly, but I've done some industrial warehouse work and even worked at a prison. I always have been "big" and in some cases (hello inmate) having a large size helped.

But as I've gotten older, I've worked more desk jobs and now work from home exclusively. The weight has become a problem. So I'm just going to post here what I've been doing and maybe some sites I find interesting on my journey.

Maybe this thread will flame out like @KSM32 predicts. I know for me, I think I've "turned the corner" and I'm in for the long haul.  :)   

Feel free to contribute your own tips and what you are doing.
Well best of luck to you. I know how I got here and I know what I need to change. I was the happiest and smallest I had been since high school a few years back when I swam daily and quit eating meat. Not saying I am going the meatless route this time but I am going to reduce the amount I eat. I wish I could still swim daily but due to Covid where I swam is closed. But I have two machines in my basement and zero excuses. Time to lose this weight before I get any older and it's impossible.

I will tell you what motivates me, lots of videos of Falkie and Kathy. Good Lord I don't want to become like them. Also KSM32 offered some good tips as did PB. It's about finding something you love to do and sticking with. I also want to buy a kayak next year as I got addicted to doing that over the summer as well.

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »
Well best of luck to you. I know how I got here and I know what I need to change. I was the happiest and smallest I had been since high school a few years back when I swam daily and quit eating meat. Not saying I am going the meatless route this time but I am going to reduce the amount I eat. I wish I could still swim daily but due to Covid where I swam is closed. But I have two machines in my basement and zero excuses. Time to lose this weight before I get any older and it's impossible.

I will tell you what motivates me, lots of videos of Falkie and Kathy. Good Lord I don't want to become like them. Also KSM32 offered some good tips as did PB. It's about finding something you love to do and sticking with. I also want to buy a kayak next year as I got addicted to doing that over the summer as well.

And to you as well!

Some people do serve a purpose, even if just as a warning to others!

I've been watching My 600-lb Life and good Lord those people motivate me. I love the matter-of-fact approach of Dr. Now and have tried to find out more about what he recommends for his patients. (more on that later)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ponyboysunset

• Elluminati
  • Just your average otter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »
And to you as well!

Some people do serve a purpose, even if just as a warning to others!

I've been watching My 600-lb Life and good Lord those people motivate me. I love the matter-of-fact approach of Dr. Now and have tried to find out more about what he recommends for his patients. (more on that later)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks so much! I can't even imagine what that must feel like. I know when I start to approach the heavy side for me I slow down. Probably a mental component that figures into that I am guessing.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
TO SPITE KSM FITNESS THREAD
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 10:46:36 AM »
I sincerely wish you all great success in striving to reach your individual goals and may this 'Fitness' thread thrive and break the mold. @PolkaDot is a fitness broad, maybe she'll chime in and share her pearls of wisdom.

this is a spite-thread though..  nooo doubt aboot it

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 11:17:17 AM »
Eleven years ago, I was run over by a car. I still have trouble with my legs and right arm.  I was doing pretty well with squats, presses and deadlifts at the only gym available to me, but it was padlocked by the sheriff about a year ago.  With no room for a weight bench or squat rack, it looks like it’s the fan bike and kettlebells for me.

I rode the fan bike for ten minutes today before my knee began to hurt.  Some days I make it longer.
Merry Christmas

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »
I too wish everyone the best in their specific weight loss/workout regimen.  ShayP had had his struggles over the years (my body started breaking down when I hit 40) and even though I'm ashamed to admit it, and I do own it, I am technically obese.  Change is on the horizon though and I have a system to follow now.  I have a diet plan given to me by my doctor.  Shouldn't be too difficult since I'm not a picky eater and love a lot of different foods.  I also love walking and do as much as I can.

We'll all be on our own path and I look forward to seeing positive results as they come.  :)

LittleChris

• Hall Of Famer
  • Drone Pilot