Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231352 times)

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
Weird thing. It seems every year this mushroom pops up in the same place in the yard. I think there is an old tree stump there? Not sure what kind it is but seems weird it pops, even through whatever mulch I have put down, at roughly the same time each year, lives a little bit, then gone for months until next year.

Are you using wood mulch every year?  If so, that's why you get the fungus.  If you're using different mulches, then you must have some buried wood or dead tree roots in that spot.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »
Weird thing. It seems every year this mushroom pops up in the same place in the yard. I think there is an old tree stump there? Not sure what kind it is but seems weird it pops, even through whatever mulch I have put down, at roughly the same time each year, lives a little bit, then gone for months until next year.

Oooh! What a pretty fungus! I’m wondering if it’s a Leucocoprinus? They’re pretty stoked on organic matter & show up in indoor plant soil a lot? Mushrooms are hard bc they can be so different at different stages. I’m curious what the answer is!

There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »
I found some interesting fungi up at my place.  Here is one I need to see if it is Lion’s Mane.

Oh wow! I’ve never seen him his before- crazy! It’s really cool looking.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2018, 06:27:41 PM »
Are you using wood mulch every year?  If so, that's why you get the fungus.  If you're using different mulches, then you must have some buried wood or dead tree roots in that spot.
I do use mulch but have used different kinds over the years and also it pops up in same place. I think there is a tree stump underneath but as I recall it was a cedar (juniper) which I would find out because they usually don't really rot or get fungi (why we used to use them for fence posts.) But maybe it was something else. I'm not planning to eat but still curious what kind it is.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2018, 06:29:04 PM »
Oooh! What a pretty fungus! I’m wondering if it’s a Leucocoprinus? They’re pretty stoked on organic matter & show up in indoor plant soil a lot? Mushrooms are hard bc they can be so different at different stages. I’m curious what the answer is!
I did a half-hearted internet search and the pics I found doesn't look like that kind but the internet seems to get harder and harder to find real information easily. The amazing thing is how quickly it pops up, grows, stays a bit, dies, and then comes back next year.

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2018, 06:47:05 AM »
Albrecht,

Take a look at this Reddit thread.  This is the closest match that I saw.  Fungus ID is not my in my wheel house.  Hope this helps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mycology/comments/9ue2lo/just_outside_my_house_what_are_those/

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »
Albrecht,

Take a look at this Reddit thread.  This is the closest match that I saw.  Fungus ID is not my in my wheel house.  Hope this helps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mycology/comments/9ue2lo/just_outside_my_house_what_are_those/

Thanks, I will investigate.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2018, 05:30:48 PM »
Freezing temperatures occurred in the Pacific Northwest this past week and as a consequence, my potted tomato plants bit the dust.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I still have my hummingbird stopping by for nectar, though.  He (or she?) will hang around throughout the winter.

One good thing, I was able to pick these two sweet peppers just before the frost hit.  They tasted great, chopped up and thrown into a panful of scrambled eggs.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
Freezing temperatures occurred here in the Pacific Northwest this past week and as a consequence, my potted tomato plants bit the dust.

I still have my hummingbird stopping by for nectar, though.  He (or she?) will hang around throughout the winter.

One good thing, I was able to pick these two sweet peppers just before the frost hit.  They tasted great, chopped up and thrown into a panful of scrambled eggs.

Same deal here in Texas. Got into the 20s at night, of course warming up again now and all died. But I got one last big harvest of peppers. For some reason I can only grow peppers, as tomatoes seem to die, get eaten by critters, get those worms, etc. I guess just too darn hot in summer if you don't really pay attention to water and critters. And like you in pots so can dry out quick in the Texas summer sun. But I got a whole lot of jalapenos, cerranos, banana, and tabasco peppers off before the freeze. Sort of weird. Nothing on them all summer and then we had a wet fall and got a bit cooler and BOOM- peppers aplenty!

ps: Idk about hummingbirds? Do they migrate? Hibernate? Just survive? I also don't know how cold it usually gets up there (the NW can vary between fairly mild and wet to pretty cold and dry depending on which side of mountains, how close to coast, how high up, etc.) But if the hummingbirds are sticking around I guess you'd need to ensure the solution doesn't freeze! I don't think there would be flowers around for them to eat so....

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2018, 05:54:57 PM »
Same deal here in Texas. Got into the 20s at night, of course warming up again now and all died. But I got one last big harvest of peppers. For some reason I can only grow peppers, as tomatoes seem to die, get eaten by critters, get those worms, etc. I guess just too darn hot in summer if you don't really pay attention to water and critters. And like you in pots so can dry out quick in the Texas summer sun. But I got a whole lot of jalapenos, cerranos, banana, and tabasco peppers off before the freeze. Sort of weird. Nothing on them all summer and then we had a wet fall and got a bit cooler and BOOM- peppers aplenty!

ps: Idk about hummingbirds? Do they migrate? Hibernate? Just survive? I also don't know how cold it usually gets up there (the NW can vary between fairly mild and wet to pretty cold and dry depending on which side of mountains, how close to coast, how high up, etc.) But if the hummingbirds are sticking around I guess you'd need to ensure the solution doesn't freeze! I don't think there would be flowers around for them to eat so....

That's right, most flowers are gone during the winter, but hummingbirds will stick around if you have a steady source of food for them.  Mine will stick around all year and will feed during harsh weather but as you noted, I will warm the nectar up if it has frozen outside, or if there is snow on the ground.  Those little birds are very hardy, and they go into a kind of deep sleep state during the frozen night, and they retain a little warmth inside to make it until morning.
http://www.birdsandblooms.com/blog/hummingbirds-survive-in-snow-and-freezing-temps/

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »
That's right, most flowers are gone during the winter, but hummingbirds will stick around if you have a steady source of food for them.  Mine will stick around all year and will feed during harsh weather but as you noted, I will warm the nectar up if it has frozen outside, or if there is snow on the ground.  Those little birds are very hardy, and they go into a kind of deep sleep state during the frozen night, and they retain a little warmth inside to make it until morning.
http://www.birdsandblooms.com/blog/hummingbirds-survive-in-snow-and-freezing-temps/
Cool. Neat little birds, I had no idea they were so hardy. They seem so delicate. I found a hummingbird nest in one of my bushes once. It was so funny. Like a normal bird's nest shrunk to thumb-size.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
Cool. Neat little birds, I had no idea they were so hardy. They seem so delicate. I found a hummingbird nest in one of my bushes once. It was so funny. Like a normal bird's nest shrunk to thumb-size.

Wow, that is something.  I've never seen a hummingbird nest myself, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there is one nearby.  I have two hummingbirds that show up.  One spends his time sitting around the feeders and he will chase the other one away, whenever the other one try's to fly in for a drink.  I have seen the two of them feeding together on the big feeder, but only on very rare occasions.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »
Wow, that is something.  I've never seen a hummingbird nest myself, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there is one nearby.  I have two hummingbirds that show up.  One spends his time sitting around the feeders and he will chase the other one away, whenever the other one try's to fly in for a drink.  I have seen the two of them feeding together on the big feeder, but only on very rare occasions.
Nest was very small, tightly built with small sticks, what looked like maybe lint from my dryer vent (?) and on a branch way back in a thick bush that I was cutting back. A place a human, or even a critter like a coon, possum, or cat would be able to crawl up into. A 'chicken' (rat) snake could get at it, I think, but eggs so small likely not 'worth it' for the snake and high enough to keep others out.

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2018, 05:52:10 PM »

i never have luck with peppers and i have tried for years. those look delicious

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »
i never have luck with peppers and i have tried for years. those look delicious

Yes, they were pretty tasty.  Heat wise, they were on the mild side.  Like my tomatoes, the peppers were grown in pots.