Author Topic: The Games We Play  (Read 23969 times)

XArea51

• Elluminati
  • The truth is out there. NOT!
Re: The Games We Play
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 04:15:22 AM »
Are the Nancy Drew ones like the Sherlock Holmes ones where you have to solve the mysteries?  Those are cool.

I enjoy games that take you away into their world.

I've never played the Sherlock ones, but yes, you do have to solve a mystery like in the books. It sounds like they're both similar.
♦♦👽♦♦

XArea51

• Elluminati
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 04:25:40 AM »
Isn't that feeling great! 

While I'm thinking about it, I was going through my Myst games and noticed that I never played "realMyst".  I sort of remember loading it up just to see what it was like but never played it through.  If I remember right, it's the first Myst redone in First Person Perspective, so you get to walk like you're there, like a First Person Shooter.  I may play that through.  I have a feeling I'll be too nostalgic and want the point and click like the original, but you never know. 

Did you ever start playing Uru beside just exploring or talking to people there?

Oh yeah, I played Uru before it went online with the old CD rom. I actually preferred it to the online platform version. RealMyst really improved that first games performance. I enjoyed it for the nostalgic aspects. Did you ever play the fifth and final game, End of Ages? That one was a huge let down. You could really tell they were having money problems at that point.
♦♦👽♦♦

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 04:54:22 AM »
Oh yeah, I played Uru before it went online with the old CD rom. I actually preferred it to the online platform version. RealMyst really improved that first games performance. I enjoyed it for the nostalgic aspects. Did you ever play the fifth and final game, End of Ages? That one was a huge let down. You could really tell they were having money problems at that point.

I played the Uru single player also.  I tried out the online one but seemed more if you like to socialize than play the game.  I heard the difference is in the online one you have to have other players help to do actions together to solve some of the puzzles.  In single player you could solve them all yourself.  I'm not sure if that was true or not, the few times I checked out the online game everyone was just standing around in the main city center and barely talking.  But I guess it's like a chat room of sorts if you do it that way.

And no, I haven't played the 5th game yet.  While searching last night, I found most of the Myst games I bought, but am missing 3 and 4, yet I found 5.  There was one online sight that I bought games from and it changed into something else.  They screwed everyone over who bought games previously and that library now has disappeared.  Anyway, I think they were in there. 

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 01:15:47 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Has anyone ever successfully completed a game of this?  I think we did maybe once. 

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 01:17:56 AM »

Awesome....  takes me back. 

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 01:25:28 AM »

I'll just stick to not being able to solve the regular one, thanks.

XArea51

• Elluminati
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 01:43:49 AM »
Morning Smeg!
My friends and I used to play with Madlibs when we were young and laugh ourselves silly. It was either that or we'd turn the sound off of some old movie and improvise with crazy dialog. Good times!  ;D

♦♦👽♦♦

XArea51

• Elluminati
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 01:45:13 AM »

I'll just stick to not being able to solve the regular one, thanks.

Yeah, what sadistic freak decided that looked like fun?
♦♦👽♦♦

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 04:47:02 AM »
Morning Smeg!
My friends and I used to play with Madlibs when we were young and laugh ourselves silly. It was either that or we'd turn the sound off of some old movie and improvise with crazy dialog. Good times!  ;D

Morning X,

Great catch, I forgot all about these.  Our 5th grade teacher would pull these out and do them with the whole class on Fridays for the last 15 minutes of the day.  They were fun, and you're right, the whole class would be cracking up when she'd read them back. 

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 04:54:53 AM »

One of my favorite Infocom games.  I think what the funnest part of the "text adventure" games was creating a map as you went along.  The amount of editing you had to do got to be a handful on some of the games.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 05:36:17 AM »
My top four at this moment, in order:

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »
My top four at this moment, in order:

Great selection.  I have more hours in the Borderlands series than any other.  Borderlands 2 is probably the best, but for some reason I like BL1 better.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 07:02:20 AM »
Great selection.  I have more hours in the Borderlands series than any other.  Borderlands 2 is probably the best, but for some reason I like BL1 better.
2 plays without lag on my low-end laptop so that is where I have spent most of my time in the series. I lost interest in the pre-sequel and so I didn't even finish it...

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2018, 07:35:34 AM »
2 plays without lag on my low-end laptop so that is where I have spent most of my time in the series. I lost interest in the pre-sequel and so I didn't even finish it...

The Pre-Sequel's definitely the weakest one in the bunch for me also.  I made myself finish it once but it felt like a chore than fun.  Never felt like I wanted to do it again.  1 & 2 I've done many times.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:13 AM »
My "go-to" for FPS reviews: