Author Topic: Silent Films  (Read 1929 times)

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
Silent Films
« on: September 02, 2018, 11:50:50 PM »
Interesting article from the Wall Street Journal.  This piece warms my heart and perhaps some lost silent movies will now be found. ;D

Silent Films Make Roaring Return With Help From Younger Audiences

https://www.wsj.com/articles/silent-films-make-roaring-return-with-help-from-younger-audiences-1535907601

Feel free to post a bit about your favorite silent films and what lost silent films you'd like to see.

"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
Re: Silent Films
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:05:10 AM »
Here is one of my favorites by Josef von Sternberg. It is about a Russian general who leaves the country when the Bolsheviks take over and becomes an actor in Hollywood.  With Emil Jannings, Evelyn Brent and William Powell

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:05:31 AM »
To relate to the youth, they should just text their narration cards...
Eh, nevermind...

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »
Interesting article from the Wall Street Journal.  This piece warms my heart and perhaps some lost silent movies will now be found. ;D

Silent Films Make Roaring Return With Help From Younger Audiences

https://www.wsj.com/articles/silent-films-make-roaring-return-with-help-from-younger-audiences-1535907601

Feel free to post a bit about your favorite silent films and what lost silent films you'd like to see.

I'm cynical and believe the new generation will just want to remake silent films to suit their ideals because the original art was not good enough for them and they can improve it.  Pfffft!!!  I have no faith in "younger audiences."   Sorry...I can be a curmudgeon at times.   :D

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »
I'm cynical and believe the new generation will just want to remake silent films to suit their ideals because the original art was not good enough for them and they can improve it.  Pfffft!!!  I have no faith in "younger audiences."   Sorry...I can be a curmudgeon at times.   :D

Actually the article it is more about appreciation of old silent films rather than making new ones though I'm sure that could be a side-effect.  I actually loved The Artist from a  few years ago.  It is the only recent Oscar winner that I have really given a shit about.