Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 511227 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #1395 on: September 06, 2019, 04:17:08 AM »
We arrived all ok. I am making good use of my pew (or Peru). I missed my choir (or chair) Sunday (eeek, fell to the floor?) We went to church, it is really lovely (or lonely  ;)) here. Will write to all (really? All? Where is mine?) later.  Gertie snd Charles.

Thank you, anniem.  That definitely looks like a w in the word 'pew' but I kind of think that it might be an n as in 'pen' like she was given one as a gift by the members of the choir?  Looking at the type of ink flow, I would guess that it was an early day, and somewhat expensive, type of felt tip pen, though I hasten to add that I have no knowledge of when those particular types of pens appeared on the market.  I think 'choir' as that is what the postcard is addressed to.  Gertie seems somewhat preoccupied with the choir.  But I think you nailed it.  Thanks again, and if this were the Mrs. Thompson contest I would give you a solid ten points!

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1396 on: September 06, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
Thank you, anniem.  That definitely looks like a w in the word 'pew' but I kind of think that it might be an n as in 'pen' like she was given one as a gift by the members of the choir?  Looking at the type of ink flow, I would guess that it was an early day, and somewhat expensive, type of felt tip pen, though I hasten to add that I have no knowledge of when those particular types of pens appeared on the market.  I think 'choir' as that is what the postcard is addressed to.  Gertie seems somewhat preoccupied with the choir.  But I think you nailed it.  Thanks again, and if this were the Mrs. Thompson contest I would give you a solid ten points!

Yes. Of course pen. South Land Park is not in Peru or in a pew. ;). I'm glad they didn't fall to the floor too. SLP is a nice neighborhood.
More fun, you rule!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1397 on: September 08, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I should have bid on this old postcard from the 1930s.  It would have gone good with the 'Full Moon of The Month' posting.  It shows the illuminated Horseshoe Falls as seen from Bart Ell's backyard.  But it might come around again on a day when I'm doing some postcard bidding.  That's the nice thing about postcard auctions, you might see a postcard reappear.  I have seen postcards on auctions that are already in my collection.      

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #1398 on: September 08, 2019, 01:22:59 PM »

I should have bid on this old postcard from the 1930s.  It would have gone good with the 'Full Moon of The Month' posting.  It shows the illuminated Horseshoe Falls as seen from Bart Ell's backyard.  But it might come around again on a day when I'm doing some postcard bidding.  That's the nice thing about postcard auctions, you might see a postcard reappear.  I have seen postcards on auctions that are already in my collection.      

Very pretty!
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1399 on: September 08, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »

Very pretty. Perhaps Bart and Bairyn can pose in front of it for a nice picture for us.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1400 on: September 08, 2019, 05:26:29 PM »

If you go to the falls at 3am you get to have them to yourself.
Make that 4am, I don't want anyone interrupting our alone time.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1401 on: September 08, 2019, 07:10:40 PM »
If you go to the falls at 3am you get to have them to yourself.
Make that 4am, I don't want anyone interrupting our alone time.

Eastern time?
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1402 on: September 09, 2019, 11:51:01 PM »

(Not written in cursive but I'll transcribe it anyway.)

Sun     Good Tan    80°

Golf, Girls, Beer &
Plenty of Food.  "Hows
The Snow"?  I am
Afraid to Come Back
But I Must - See You
Some Saturday Soon -
   "A Duffer"

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #1403 on: September 10, 2019, 10:18:32 AM »
I was searching for something else and came across this old postcard image, probably from the 1950's. It is from The Lobster House restaurant in Jacksonville FL. One of its claims to fame was a scene in the 1950's era film "Creature from the Black Lagoon". It was also damaged by a fire during one Christmas season, forcing many Christmas parties to be moved or canceled. Currently, the area where The Lobster House was is populated with buildings, a newer and different restaurant, and a marina.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #1404 on: September 10, 2019, 10:26:39 AM »
Located between the two bridges. I suppose the Main Street and the old Acosta. Now there are seven.
Merry Christmas

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #1405 on: September 10, 2019, 10:58:02 AM »
Located between the two bridges. I suppose the Main Street and the old Acosta. Now there are seven.
Yes, right across the river from the Jax Landing, or what used to be the Jax Landing.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1406 on: September 10, 2019, 11:46:08 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1407 on: September 12, 2019, 11:51:41 PM »

Another postcard from the comic strip Out Our Way.

Here is the first one:  https://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=91.msg5399#msg5399

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #1408 on: September 13, 2019, 08:49:32 PM »
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1409 on: September 13, 2019, 11:35:54 PM »

In celebration of the September Harvest Moon, I present a full moon over the Potomac.
(Notice Lincoln's profile on the rocks to the right?)