Author Topic: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.  (Read 41174 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
@GravitySucks Thanks for the info about your experience. Our flooring is about the same age as yours and it's good to hear the replacement turned out well for you. Good comment on the undercut saw.

We had a drought a few years back. I did my best to water along the foundation but my slab cracked. That caused the ceramic tile to crack. To level the foundation they had to dig about 30 holes to put in the footings/piers. 5 of those were in the interior. They had to jackhammer 3 holes through the kitchen ceramic tile and I had to cut out a 3 foot strip of the laminate in the bedroom so they could cut 2 holes there.

The laminate was starting to show its age due to a few water incidents anyway.

I will always prefer ceramic or porcelain tile in the kitchen. Just my tastes. But I was afraid of it cracking again if the slab ever settled. It hadn’t moved in 5 years but knowing my luck it would shift this summer. I looked at floating porcelain tile but decided to keep it simple and just have them put down vinyl throughout the downstairs.

The bamboo floor I installed myself in my upstairs office will last longer than the house. I put down 1/4” cement hardie backer board screwed down to the underlayment on 6” centers. Then I used urethane adhesive and toe nails to anchor it. The office is above my master bedroom so I wanted some sound proofing added.  It worked out real well.

They are still working on other projects at my house. When I get things back in order I will try to take some pics. I used to be willing and able to do this kind of stuff on my own but finally just had someone do it. I couldn’t see myself chiseling up all of that ceramic tile and then farting off 1500 sq/ft of old flooring to the dump.

I had minor issues with some of the detail work the contractor did but they came out and fixed it right before I finished paying them. I don’t necessarily like the color my son picked out but it will last forever.
Are we having fun yet?

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
@MaxPower Vinyl planking is almost the standard for many bars and restaurants these days because of its durability. You should be all good :)  Glad you're getting a "pro" to do it.  One thing.... hehehe  flooring installers HATE it when the customer stands over them all day watching them work. And it's even worse when they don't talk ;D ;D ;D  I'm not suggesting that you do this but I kind of hope you do ;D ;D  Make that bastard squirm!!

Super cool that you're not just a hardwood aesthetic purist on flooring.

The true vinyl planking has come a long way since the early days of Pergo which always make me think of a small dog with untrimmed nails chasing ping pong balls...lol... ;)

Just always be sure these planks are solid vinyl and not a laminated product with wood; it's easy to get sold a factory finish and not realize it's a composite which will be poor with spilled water.

Then you give him real insider secrets on silently watching, too freaking funny. Hope that one doesn't go reverse karma on you... 8)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

@26 horses You posted my main jamb saw. Those are the absolute best.  The blade replacements are pricey (about $60) and the diamond blades for undercutting brick and stone can get up to $100 and sometimes they last only one job :o  Depends on the size of the hearth and what it's made of.  Undercutting stone is the dustiest job ever! Swiffering wouldn't cut it.

Wow, lucky pick on my part, but it had some awesome specs.

I've done wet concrete sawing and I can tell you one thing, the water doesn't even begin to keep all the concrete dust down, stone is just as bad. It sure helps if you have a respirator, ear protection, and a helper with a really stout shop vac to work alongside you. Even then I advise tenting the area with poly and tape to contain it all - like paint these jobs are 95% prep and 5% actual work, so don't skimp up front.

I'm looking forward to seeing Max's pics, nothing beats before and after for satisfaction. :)

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2019, 02:57:58 PM »
The true vinyl planking has come a long way since the early days of Pergo which always make me think of a small dog with untrimmed nails chasing ping pong balls...lol... ;)
I know that sound  :)

I've done wet concrete sawing and I can tell you one thing, the water doesn't even begin to keep all the concrete dust down, stone is just as bad. It sure helps if you have a respirator, ear protection, and a helper with a really stout shop vac to work alongside you. Even then I advise tenting the area with poly and tape to contain it all - like paint these jobs are 95% prep and 5% actual work, so don't skimp up front.

I'm looking forward to seeing Max's pics, nothing beats before and after for satisfaction. :)
Years ago I removed a fireplace inside the house. A lot of chiseling and some concrete cutting. I tented the local area surrounding it from ceiling to floor and used a vacuum. Concrete dust still found a way to circulate throughout adjacent rooms. Not as much as it would have been without the tenting and vacuum but it still found a way to circulate with the air. Concrete dust and also drywall dust from sanding are my two nemesis(s).

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »
We had a drought a few years back. I did my best to water along the foundation but my slab cracked. That caused the ceramic tile to crack. To level the foundation they had to dig about 30 holes to put in the footings/piers. 5 of those were in the interior. They had to jackhammer 3 holes through the kitchen ceramic tile and I had to cut out a 3 foot strip of the laminate in the bedroom so they could cut 2 holes there.
Wow, that is some major foundation work. Hopefully that has stabilized it for the foreseeable future.

I used to be willing and able to do this kind of stuff on my own but finally just had someone do it. I couldn’t see myself chiseling up all of that ceramic tile and then farting off 1500 sq/ft of old flooring to the dump.
I hear you. That's my thinking also. It's also a lot of wear and tear on the knees.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »
I know that sound  :)
Years ago I removed a fireplace inside the house. A lot of chiseling and some concrete cutting. I tented the local area surrounding it from ceiling to floor and used a vacuum. Concrete dust still found a way to circulate throughout adjacent rooms. Not as much as it would have been without the tenting and vacuum but it still found a way to circulate with the air. Concrete dust and also drywall dust from sanding are my two nemesis(s).

Arrgh...drywall dust, my other long lost friend... ::)

And frankly even though I have a Makita orbital sander with a vacuum attachment, it's kind meh too. The last time we did bathroom tile work the exhaust fan was plumbed in to a long plastic dryer hose to reach the floor and turned on - and it mostly worked fairly well - just basic duct tape and hose.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2019, 06:27:51 AM »
The flooring project is well underway and should be finished by Tuesday. We are doing the whole house with vinyl planking and so far the installers are doing a great job. It is replacing mostly carpeted rooms and also some linoleum in the kitchen and three smaller tiled areas. Removing the carpet and seeing the new flooring gives the rooms a completely different look and feel. Will post some pictures soon.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2019, 11:47:34 AM »
The flooring project is well underway and should be finished by Tuesday. We are doing the whole house with vinyl planking and so far the installers are doing a great job. It is replacing mostly carpeted rooms and also some linoleum in the kitchen and three smaller tiled areas. Removing the carpet and seeing the new flooring gives the rooms a completely different look and feel. Will post some pictures soon.
@MaxPower That's great to hear. Sometimes new floors open up a can o' worms as you suddenly realize... "hmmm.. I think the place needs some new paint and baseboards to compliment the new floors"  ;) $$$

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2019, 11:57:18 AM »
@MaxPower That's great to hear. Sometimes new floors open up a can o' worms as you suddenly realize... "hmmm.. I think the place needs some new paint and baseboards to compliment the new floors"  ;) $$$

Or you just start replacing the grout in a shower.
Are we having fun yet?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
Funny you should mention baseboards. I am repainting all of them and the interior doors  :)

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2019, 12:58:52 PM »
Or you just start replacing the grout in a shower.
The shower grout will be getting attention soon along with some other things. It never ends...

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2019, 07:33:47 PM »
Funny you should mention baseboards. I am repainting all of them and the interior doors  :)
I'll lend you my cordless DeWalt brad nailer.

JayGab

• KNYE
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2019, 06:23:09 PM »
I'll lend you my cordless DeWalt brad nailer.
I suggest you keep the nailer and use it on your eyes, asshole.
Actual N-Word
Not A Paid Actor

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:48 PM »
I suggest you keep the nailer and use it on your eyes, asshole.
Whoa!! What a poopypants meanhead you are!

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2019, 10:22:42 AM »
Whoa!! What a poopypants meanhead you are!

It's volunteering for some hot undercut saw action... :o

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2019, 06:04:02 PM »
It's volunteering for some hot undercut saw action... :o
Hehe  depending on how many doorways there are to prep, that saw most often sets off the nearest smoke detector as I always forget to tell my customer that it may happen so it usually scares the crap out of us as I mentally facepalm myself for not remembering about the beeping bastard. Damn they're loud sometimes

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...