Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1459969 times)

Mr Apnea

• Ellevated
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #1860 on: August 13, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »
                                                   From the Library of Congress, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

At first glance, there appears to be only 3 points available for this quiz.  But not so fast.  Three questions, yes, but Mrs. T. will offer up to eight pieces of advise concerned with dining in a hotel restaurant.  She will then list 6 food items for lunch or dinner, followed by two dessert items.  Then Mrs. Thompson will give three items of info regarding traveling on a train for the first time.  And as if that weren't enough, for the first time in the history of the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say game, there will be a bonus question worth ten big points.  And the question is...  How much should Miss Cracker tip the porter when the train ride has ended?  Oh yes, as a warning to everybody, make your guesses correlate with the amount of answers that Mrs. Thompson has given.  She will be meticulously counting everybody's answers, especially FISH's unpredictable magic 8-ball.  If you go over, you will get a zero for that particular question.  (There is no limit on the 'what to wear' question, just give it your best shot.)  Good luck and have fun.

Can I call you Crack?  In the future if you ask for this much advise they will say you are on Crack.

1. Formally you will be served at a table by a waiter. You can have a simple meal or one with many courses.  Consider a starting dish, a main dish and dessert.  If you don't want the formal treatment, then you can order from your room, generally food in the room should be much simpler. A good supper would consist of soup and a main dish with beef, pork or chicken, followed by some sort of ice cream.

2. Wear formal clothes like the ones you would wear at school or at church when going to eat in public.  For other activities wear casual clothes.  At night pick conservative nightwear.

3. On the train, make friends with those in your car.  Dress conservative to avoid drunks hitting on you. Be nice to your servers and tip them well.  10% is a good value.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1861 on: August 14, 2019, 01:03:21 AM »
 From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram, August 14, 1919.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #1862 on: August 14, 2019, 05:40:39 AM »
                                                   From the Library of Congress, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?

At first glance, there appears to be only 3 points available for this quiz.  But not so fast.  Three questions, yes, but Mrs. T. will offer up to eight pieces of advise concerned with dining in a hotel restaurant.  She will then list 6 food items for lunch or dinner, followed by two dessert items.  Then Mrs. Thompson will give three items of info regarding traveling on a train for the first time.  And as if that weren't enough, for the first time in the history of the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say game, there will be a bonus question worth ten big points.  And the question is...  How much should Miss Cracker tip the porter when the train ride has ended?  Oh yes, as a warning to everybody, make your guesses correlate with the amount of answers that Mrs. Thompson has given.  She will be meticulously counting everybody's answers, especially FISH's unpredictable magic 8-ball.  If you go over, you will get a zero for that particular question.  (There is no limit on the 'what to wear' question, just give it your best shot.)  Good luck and have fun.

Oh No! Someone stole the magic 8 ball ::)
Miss Gloria carry a means to pay for your meals and tips during your trip. 6 items you may want to order from your menu: Mutton Chops, Salmon, Ham, Filet Mignon, Roast Chicken or Turtle Soup. Custard and apple pie are two popular desserts.
Riding on a train for the first time. Bring a boxed meal. Do not sit next to a crying baby. Carry your coins so you may tip the train employees.
Tip your train porter 30 cents.
OK, here goes my best shot on NO LIMIT ON WHAT TO WEAR.
While in a hotel or on a train wear button up walking boots, a wide brim hat and gloves. While in the hotel you will wear a day or evening dress. Blouses and skirts are worn for simple casual day wear. Drawstring or a mesh purses are in style.  While traveling, a suit of two matching pieces, a jacket and skirt is worn. A silk blouse is cool in the summer. If it is raining, wear your galoshes. Please keep your galoshes buckled at all time. You do not want a flapping sound to be made by your foot wear. It is almost 1920, you do not want to be called a FLAPPER.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1863 on: August 14, 2019, 05:44:40 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram, August 14, 1919.

I guess Fred landed on top of his sister. I hope Fred was a thin man.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1864 on: August 14, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
Thank you @Bart Ell, @juan, @Walks_At_Night, @Mr Apnea, @GravitySucks, and @FISH, for playing the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? game.

Everybody did pretty good with this quiz.  As earlier announced, this was a double points contest.  There were lots of points handed out.  For example, those of you who mentioned a menu, 2 points.  Did you list a meat item?  2 points.  Soup?  2 points.  Fish?  2 points. Ice cream?  2 points.  Everyone got the 'what to wear' question right, so 2 points each.  If you tipped the porter, 2 points.  Don't squawk when you see Bart Ell's score.  He was the only one who got the correct amount to tip the porter.  (Mrs. Thompson actually gave two amounts as to how much to tip the porter.)  Bart got the first ever 10 point bonus question right, and since it was a double points quiz, got 20 points for the 'how much to tip the porter' question.

Bart Ell: 28 points
juan: 16 points
Mr Apnea: 10 points
FISH: 10 points
Walks At Night: 8 points
Gravity Sucks: 8 points   

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #1865 on: August 14, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »
There is usually a nice restaurant at the hotel that you can dine in. They will offer an array of different foods that will hopefully satisfy anyone’s taste. There is usually a menu to order from and sometimes a buffet option. Depending on the hotel, there may also be something called room service. Room service allows you to order your meal and have it delivered to your room. When eating in the restaurant/dining room for dinner/supper, it is best to wear your formal attire.
For something nice to have, you should be able to pick from a variety of foods such as: Beef, pork, fish, fowl, vegetables and a starch. Desserts would include pie and ice cream.

As I said before, supper should be formal attire. All other times should be business casual. Make sure to have your hair and makeup done before going out in public.

While on a train you can either have a seat or in some instances a private or semi private sleeping quarters. There should be a lounge and diner car. Make sure to keep your ticket handy so that the porter (train guy) can punch your ticket. He will also help to accommodate you on your trip. It is good to tip him. I’d start with 10 cents per bag that you have plus 20 cents per day that you are on the train.
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
« Reply #1866 on: August 14, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
Damnit!!!

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #1867 on: August 14, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »
Damnit!!!
You and my first ex-wife would get along - always late.
Merry Christmas

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1868 on: August 14, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
Bart Ell: 28 points
juan: 16 points
Mr Apnea: 10 points
FISH: 10 points
Walks At Night: 8 points
Gravity Sucks: 8 points 

I am starting to like this dame and game again.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1869 on: August 14, 2019, 02:06:31 PM »
Damnit!!!
“Always look ahead, never look back”.

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
« Reply #1870 on: August 14, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
Is there an official cutoff time that I’m missing?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1871 on: August 14, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
Mrs. Elizabeth Thompson is becoming fond of you.
   Does she know that you are a visitor from the future?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1872 on: August 14, 2019, 02:19:21 PM »

Bairyn must be proud of you.  Have you positioned yourself with an insurmountable lead?

I will try to remember these tips later today as I take the night train from Bangkok up north towards Loei. First class sleepers were sold out. Having to settle for second class.
Are we having fun yet?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1873 on: August 14, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »
Bairyn must be proud of you.

Bairyn thinks I am the best.
Hard to argue with her.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1874 on: August 14, 2019, 02:23:06 PM »
Mrs. Elizabeth Thompson is becoming fond of you.
   Does she know that you are a visitor from the future?

I am from the present.