Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231392 times)

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2019, 04:11:48 AM »
So far, my tomatoes are Better Boy, Tribute, Florida Specials (an old heritage, heat tolerant variety) and Louisiana Dixie (another old heritage, heat tolerant variety). All are indeterminate, so I have a good fence.

I’ll be testing some determinates this week.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »
Ug, bindweed is the worst! The flowers are smaller and the stems are as well.

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing some creeping vine plants that looked like miniature morning glories.  They would crawl up my fence but I paid them no never mind because they were so small, and not invasive like in the article.  Perhaps they were a miniature sub species of the bindweed?  If I see them again, I'll take a pic of them.   

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with espaliered fruit trees? I've wanted one for years and just moved into our forever home so I'm looking for the perfect spot or spots  ;)...Anyway, I don't have a lot of experience with fruit trees in general and know they can be work. Curious if anyone has any thoughts and experiences with the espaliered trees. Will I regret this?
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The cornflower - Emblem of constancy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurea_cyanus

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2019, 12:12:29 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Evening Star, April 06, 1919.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2019, 08:05:56 AM »

I had never heard of a Jacaranda tree until I came across this old postcard image.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacaranda
You’ll find them Upcountry Maui. So beautiful!!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2019, 08:10:22 AM »
I don't know if this picture falls within the threads guidelines but in the case that it gives anybody an ideas on yard framing, it's worth it.  The mulch around our little "dinner deck" is a rubber mixture from Lowes made of recycled tires and rubber products. It's easy to walk on and comes in a few different colors. BTW the area you're looking at is the result of 35 bags...……  Man, I wish they would pack them in bigger bags.  Although!!  I did use the plastic bags as an underlayment to stop any weeds or grass from growing through.

I'm shitfaced and I have to work in the morning so you better appreciate this. Goodnight.
This looks REALLY great @KSM32 ! How is it holding up? Is it staying where it should or has it “wondered about” on you?
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2019, 12:18:16 PM »
@26 horses  , thank you for the advise.  This is the first time I used "new unread posts". I have a garden ::). I think I will enjoy this thread.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
@26 horses  , thank you for the advise.  This is the first time I used "new unread posts". I have a garden ::). I think I will enjoy this thread.
You're most welcome, any Rikki thread is a good thread! :)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2019, 01:31:39 PM »

Just one more thing...the "new replies" tab is highly useful to track who's responding to you directly. I believe the "mentions" tab in profile works best of the other poster puts an @ symbol before your handle.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »
This looks REALLY great @KSM32 ! How is it holding up? Is it staying where it should or has it “wondered about” on you?
@PolkaDot Thank you, dear. It's now three years and holding up very well with a little maintenance each spring. Snow has just melted and its' ready for a little clean up, not much though.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #206 on: April 09, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »

Just one more thing...the "new replies" tab is highly useful to track who's responding to you directly. I believe the "mentions" tab in profile works best of the other poster puts an @ symbol before your handle.

OK @26 horses , I am learning new tricks in EllGab.
I have a city garden. I live in a row home that is almost 150 years old. My home is a 2 stories house. I have a cellar that runs the length of my home. A nice old small home with a very small backyard. I always wanted a large garden area. Yet, I make the best of this small area.
Across the width of my house, I have a homemade garden container that runs across the width of my house. I grow hops in this container. From the second floor window,  I tie "Hop Twine" to the awnings. I drop the twine to the dirt in my container. I loop the twine around the hop bine. The hop bine will grow right up and above the second floor windows. The hops are coming back to life. I better get the hop twine ready. These bines can grow over 20 feet in one season.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #207 on: April 09, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »
OK @26 horses , I am learning new tricks in EllGab.
I have a city garden. I live in a row home that is almost 150 years old. My home is a 2 stories house. I have a cellar that runs the length of my home. A nice old small home with a very small backyard. I always wanted a large garden area. Yet, I make the best of this small area.
Across the width of my house, I have a homemade garden container that runs across the width of my house. I grow hops in this container. From the second floor window,  I tie "Hop Twine" to the awnings. I drop the twine to the dirt in my container. I loop the twine around the hop bine. The hop bine will grow right up and above the second floor windows. The hops are coming back to life. I better get the hop twine ready. These bines can grow over 20 feet in one season.

Very cool, so you have an ideal indoor starter area, cool and perfect for seedlings with some LED lighting.

If you can post some outdoor pics that'd be fun to see those babies grow.

My 'gardening'  abruptly ended when I was much younger...

Good thing my thumb wasn't all that green, no?

;)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #208 on: April 09, 2019, 04:28:24 PM »
Very cool, so you have an ideal indoor starter area, cool and perfect for seedlings with some LED lighting.

If you can post some outdoor pics that'd be fun to see those babies grow.

My 'gardening'  abruptly ended when I was much younger...

Good thing my thumb wasn't all that green, no?

;)
cannabis plants? :'(

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #209 on: April 09, 2019, 04:52:58 PM »
Hops bines (not vines) grow better with spring pruning. Pruning the hop shoots is so painful for me. Yet I do it.  Some people eat the hop shoots. Pruning tomatoes and strawberries plants is also recommended. I grow hops not only in my backyard but also in a container that stands outside the front of my home. I have a partial brownstone front. I have a container with hops, pansies and some solar lights. In the photo you will see the hops shoots.

[attachment[/attachment]