Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1457932 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #930 on: June 15, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »
@anniem did you get hit by lightning?
As a kid, I was told not to worry about lightning hitting our house. My mother pointed out to me that the Stillmunk Family had a lightning rod on top of their house. The Stillmunks had the tallest house in the neighborhood.

A lightning rod (US, AUS) or lightning conductor (UK) is a metal rod mounted on a structure and intended to protect the structure from a lightning strike.

Not directly.  We spent vacations down the shore at a camp ground. One night, a band was to play but it started to rain and they packed up and left. It was pouring, thunder and lightning. I was of course shoeless, as were my friends. We were sort of waiting for the rain to let up, splashing around in the puddles.  A tree took a direct hit a short distance away, and we all got quite shocked by it. I remember the shock being worse at my feet, going up to the base of my spine. I put my hands on my legs and it started to go up my arms, so I let go right away. It hurted.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #931 on: June 16, 2019, 06:57:49 AM »
Not directly.  We spent vacations down the shore at a camp ground. One night, a band was to play but it started to rain and they packed up and left. It was pouring, thunder and lightning. I was of course shoeless, as were my friends. We were sort of waiting for the rain to let up, splashing around in the puddles.  A tree took a direct hit a short distance away, and we all got quite shocked by it. I remember the shock being worse at my feet, going up to the base of my spine. I put my hands on my legs and it started to go up my arms, so I let go right away. It hurted.
@anniem that is amazing that you could feel a shock. Maybe my Granny was not just a crazy old lady.
@Rikki Gins , I think God was showing you that you are special but to remember your place in life.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #932 on: June 16, 2019, 07:20:17 AM »
    From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?
          (Thank You Girl has asked Mrs. Thompson two seperate questions, so this is
          your chance to win two points in the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? contest.)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

@Rikki Gins
Thank You Girl has asked Mrs. Thompson two separate questions.
1—you should explain to your cousin to stop trying to destroy your friendship with other people. You should tell your parents about your cousin’s behavior. Do not be afraid of making your cousin angry. He is in the wrong. Remember that only you can destroy a friendship.
2-yes, it is OK to give a present.
PS: I like @juan answer to the 1st question. You are taller so bloody his nose.
However @Spookcat  is making good use of lightning storms.
Thank You Girl watch out for Damn Hillbillies. @Mr Apnea  ;)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #933 on: June 16, 2019, 01:36:08 PM »
Thank you @anniem, @juan, @Spookcat, @Mr Apnea, and @FISH for playing the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? game.

Everyone who gave a response to Thank You Girl's relationship with her cousin, wins a point.  Juan nailed a second point by being the only one to say that she was too young to be making a gift of the tie pin.  So congratulations, Juan!

Juan= 2 points
anniem= 1 point
Spookcat= 1 point
Mr Apnea= 1 point
Fish= 1 point

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #934 on: June 16, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June 16, 1919.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #935 on: June 17, 2019, 05:06:25 AM »
Thank you @anniem, @juan, @Spookcat, @Mr Apnea, and @FISH for playing the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? game.

Everyone who gave a response to Thank You Girl's relationship with her cousin, wins a point.  Juan nailed a second point by being the only one to say that she was too young to be making a gift of the tie pin.  So congratulations, Juan!

Juan= 2 points
anniem= 1 point
Spookcat= 1 point
Mr Apnea= 1 point
Fish= 1 point

So congratulations, Juan!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #936 on: June 17, 2019, 07:25:17 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June 17, 1919.

Dwindling Stacks

• Elluminati
« Reply #937 on: June 17, 2019, 08:15:55 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June 17, 1919.

These are fascinating little stories of America that you don’t see much anymore. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #938 on: June 18, 2019, 12:34:15 AM »
These are fascinating little stories of America that you don’t see much anymore.

Glad you like them, DS.  Thanks for reading the 100 Years Ago thread.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #939 on: June 18, 2019, 12:39:30 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, June 18, 1919.

President Woodrow Wilson, Captain Alfred Carpenter VC, the Commander of HMS VINDICTIVE, and others on the mole at Zeebrugge, 18 June 1919.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205139243 © IWM (Q 107024)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #940 on: June 18, 2019, 05:51:29 AM »
@Dwindling Stacks
Reading these little news stories give me some insight into life a hundred years ago.
I enjoy reading stories about soldiers returning home to the USA.
I am surprised about how many times lightning was striking. I am not sure of the reason for lightning striking people and buildings. Is the location or the month of June?

Dwindling Stacks

• Elluminati
« Reply #941 on: June 18, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »
Glad you like them, DS.  Thanks for reading the 100 Years Ago thread.
Thank You for having such a thread to look back at our history.

Dwindling Stacks

• Elluminati
« Reply #942 on: June 18, 2019, 10:26:04 AM »
@Dwindling Stacks
Reading these little news stories give me some insight into life a hundred years ago.
I enjoy reading stories about soldiers returning home to the USA.
I am surprised about how many times lightning was striking. I am not sure of the reason for lightning striking people and buildings. Is the location or the month of June?
I enjoyed it as well as I wanted to stay off the drama thread as much as possible.  I would say it's the location with farmers working the fields and with no radar to warn them.  I am from the Midwest and I know that I have seen thunderstorms come out of nowhere with lightning strikes. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #943 on: June 18, 2019, 01:52:37 PM »
    From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #944 on: June 18, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
Mrs. Thompson will weasel on this one. She’ll say watch the hostess and do as she does.

Update- Unless she takes the you literally and thinks it means you, Mrs. Thompson. Then she’ll say a spoon.
Merry Christmas