Author Topic: Did you ever have a fish tank going? Do tell..  (Read 3601 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
Did you ever have a fish tank going? Do tell..
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
Always love to see a well set up aquarium whether it's in somebody's home or in the dentists office waiting room. Fresh water, salt water, whatever, it's all beautiful.

Before I went snaky and got my first python I had 10 great years of various fresh water fish in my tank. Largest fish I ever had was a 14" iridescent shark (look like mini great white's) and a 16" pleco and those two got along just fine. Before them I had dozens of others but man, having a nice clean tank with healthy happy fish is a true labor of love and after 10 years and about 70 fish I was done. Had the T-shirt, read the book, the whole thing. Snakes are so little maintenance and it's great but I still miss the fish. My main regret was never taking any pictures!! DOH!

As an experiment, I once brought home a minnow from the river and decided to add it to the community :P to my surprise things went very well from the start, no problems whatsoever. Fast forward about eight months and now the minnow is like a small salmon and he's aggressive as all hell picking on everybody.. This due to  lack of foresight on my part. I eventually climatized her? back to river water and returned her back to nature in July.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: Did you ever have a fish tank going? Do tell..
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:13:47 AM »
Always love to see a well set up aquarium whether it's in somebody's home or in the dentists office waiting room. Fresh water, salt water, whatever, it's all beautiful.

Before I went snaky and got my first python I had 10 great years of various fresh water fish in my tank. Largest fish I ever had was a 14" iridescent shark (look like mini great white's) and a 16" pleco and those two got along just fine. Before them I had dozens of others but man, having a nice clean tank with healthy happy fish is a true labor of love and after 10 years and about 70 fish I was done. Had the T-shirt, read the book, the whole thing. Snakes are so little maintenance and it's great but I still miss the fish. My main regret was never taking any pictures!! DOH!

As an experiment, I once brought home a minnow from the river and decided to add it to the community :P to my surprise things went very well from the start, no problems whatsoever. Fast forward about eight months and now the minnow is like a small salmon and he's aggressive as all hell picking on everybody.. This due to  lack of foresight on my part. I eventually climatized her? back to river water and returned her back to nature in July.

Any idea what kind of fish this minnow was?

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
A fish tank going?  Going where?  Like on wheels if one is moving to a new unit in his apartment complex?
Or something like when I was a kid.  I had a 10 gallon tank.  Me Mollies were over-populating.  So, I'd scoop the better developed fry, go to the pet shop, and trade a cluster of fry for one or two fully grown fish, of my choice.  My aquarium was by no means exceptional, but it was a beautiful, most satisfactory, and well cared for (by me) aquarium, that I so thoroughly enjoyed, back in the day. ;) ;D :-*

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 01:32:38 PM »
I wanted a salt water aquarium. Read forums, books, talked to the guys in the aquatics shop. Worked out that what you were actually doing was keeping the water healthy, the fish and corals etc were a side effect of healthy water.

It put me off a bit I think.

I do see you can buy a system now that auto tests your water every day and then calibrates it automatically by adding the right levels of stuff ... cost was prohibitive.

I realised I would also be completely bereft and guilt ridden if anything died.

Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »
I wanted a salt water aquarium. Read forums, books, talked to the guys in the aquatics shop. Worked out that what you were actually doing was keeping the water healthy, the fish and corals etc were a side effect of healthy water.

I do see you can buy a system now that auto tests your water every day and then calibrates it automatically by adding the right levels of stuff ... cost was prohibitive.

Years ago (when me buddy Ben went kite flying one day), I inquired about a saltwater aquarium from the pet shop owner (mentioned above).  I learned I needed, at least, a 50 gal. aquarium to start, before he even started to address fish compatibility.  By then, I was already looking at some new toys for my FRESH water fishy kids!  SQUEEEEE!
 ;D ;D ;D

Note:  Yeah.  I know my syntax sucks, but I'm tired right now, and I don't give a fuck.  Please, forgive me - or not.
As you were.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »

@DynamoHum Yeah a well kept salt water tank is absolutely beautiful but from what I know they can also turn into a second job thus defeating the whole tranquil purpose of enjoying them.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 10:21:14 PM »
Any idea what kind of fish this minnow was?
@26 horses  to my best guess it was a Chum Salmon. Also known as the dog, or brook salmon. I snatched him out of the Nechako river in central BC. Fun experiment.. until the bloody waters started :-[ 

(them from jaws) dun dun dun dun… and so on

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 10:24:22 PM »
A fish tank going?  Going where?  Like on wheels if one is moving to a new unit in his apartment complex?
Yes! I could have put a little more thought into the title. It does l00k funny and it reads bad. I'll go now and stick my head in the wood chipper ;D

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 07:53:23 AM »
@26 horses  to my best guess it was a Chum Salmon. Also known as the dog, or brook salmon. I snatched him out of the Nechako river in central BC. Fun experiment.. until the bloody waters started :-[ 

(them from jaws) dun dun dun dun… and so on

LOL!

So, one of these eh...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blood you say? With those teeth?  Damn.... ;D

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »
LOL!

So, one of these eh...

Blood you say? With those teeth?  Damn.... ;D
Yup, that's Vincent. He turned into such a prick ;D

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 07:22:01 PM »
Yes! I could have put a little more thought into the title. It does l00k funny and it reads bad. I'll go now and stick my head in the wood chipper ;D

NO!!! Don't do that! :o  I was just kidding.  I know exactly wut ya mean. ;)  I was hittin' the Red Bull and Vodka that night, and me wit got a little snarky.  Sorry.  My bad. :-[

Oh.  +1.  ;) :-*

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 05:53:03 AM »
I once had a fresh water tank and a Siamese cat. I’d pull a chair in front of the tank, and the cat would sit there and watch the fish.  He took great pleasure in watching the fish fight, and he’d scream for me to join his fun.
Merry Christmas

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 08:05:00 AM »
Yup, that's Vincent. He turned into such a prick ;D

LOLOLOL!!!!

The anadromous bastid!

(I think his spawning urge took over)

:o

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:26 AM »
When we had the floors redone recently, the fish tank had to be emptied and moved. The one fish we currently have went to a temporary holding tank. It was a good time to update the tank.

Photos below. One photo also shows the tank on the new floor. Originally, the tank stand and top was white but I repainted it black.

At the moment, there is only 1 fish, an algae eater that is probably 15 years old.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »
I dig the octagon tanks - super space efficient.

I wonder how one of these would do?

When I had a tank as a kid they were super hardy in sometimes not so clean water conditions, typical eel , right?